What Would You Do

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would like an Opinion.

I have a set of Tony Williams Yellow Paint from 1970.
Original drums are 22,12,13,16.
I had a 14 made about 4 years ago and found a 10 and 6 1/2 on line Both are not from the 70's. I don't use the snare.
The 12 and 13 have extra holes since I use Gauger suspension which I plugged with chrome bolts. The BD has extra holes from changing mounts and chips/scratches as do the toms. The 16 has some scratches. The 10 is virgin and in like new condition. There is a slight paint variation in the 10 and 14 since they are newer TWY.
This is the only drum set I have ever owned and kept.
Now for my question:
(Money not being an issue) Do I get my 22,12,13,16 refinished with matching paint and holes repaired other than the tom mount which I intend to use OR do I have a new BD,12,13,16 made up. OR do I leave as is.
This is a sentimental type of question

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The vintage guitar guy in me says leave as is; however, it sounds like this will bug the crud out of you, so make them shiny and perfect!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it doesn’t sound as if you’ll ever part with this kit, I would re-finish them and make them like you want them.

Nothing like nice, shiny fly yellow drums!

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Jack Lawton (lawtondrum.com) for estimate on plugging & painting - I know he does great job rewrapping not sure if he does paint but likely knows someone. I have been 100%++ satisfied with every job he's done for me and he is a great guy as well.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try Jack Lawton (lawtondrum.com) for estimate on plugging & painting - I know he does great job rewrapping not sure if he does paint but likely knows someone. I have been 100%++ satisfied with every job he's done for me and he is a great guy as well.
thank you

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jack only does Rewraps

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
money not an issue ? Plugging holes and painting is never the economical choice but yeah..

Try Chris Heuer. Just do a search, he's easy to find

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
money not an issue ? Plugging holes and painting is never the economical choice but yeah..

Try Chris Heuer. Just do a search, he's easy to find
Spoke to Chris.. he is out in CA and is very busy. Also CA has some environmental restriction on certain lacquers such as the kind used in TWY. He is moving to GA within next six months

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Spoke to Chris.. he is out in CA and is very busy. Also CA has some environmental restriction on certain lacquers such as the kind used in TWY. He is moving to GA within next six months
California Environmental Restriction on TWY lacquer. Glad to hear that Cali cares about “the environment”.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a woodworker or cabinet person in your area. They can usually plug holes (well) and color/spray anything you need. This will cost quite a bit, regardless of how you do it, so I'd probably not spend the $, but your call.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what was the tom post. The Twin or the single post.
Was it a double tom set from the start . In 1970?
Sure would appreciate pics
I will shoot pics of al the drums tonight

Reactions: JDA

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am attaching pictures. I did not include any closeup of my 10 inch, 14 inch or snare since they are relatively new and not marked up. Pics are of my 13 inch. Not being used and on the ground now and in decent shape except for the extra holes from using Gauger suspension. Next is my 12 inch tom which has the holes and also scratches. Next in my 16 inch which has some marks and one long scratch. Lastly is the 22. Extra 2 holes from mount, several small scratches; hoop indentations and lastly and most upsetting are several holes at the bottom created when a carpenter was using a router and it jumped. All the holes are covered with bolts. the 9 PICTURES ARE NOT IN SQUENCE but you can see each drum I am referring to

Attachments

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You've answered your own question in your last sentence re a sentimental type of ??
Leave 'em alone.....the "imperfections".....marks/scuffs/bonks et al....I'm sure these cosmetic inconsistencies can tell many a story.....that can have sentimental value. What's with the new shiny all the time anyway?
You now have licence to "age" the newbies....hey folks pay huge bucks to have a shiny new "aged" instrument done at the custom shop.....so go this route..;) Or very gently, and with great sentiment, age, mark, scuff them yourself so at least they are in the same cosmetic ballpark as the others.
I'm not condoning this by any means but a couple of kits...one a complete set....'65 Sonor...and another of a set of Gretsch about same age as yours with addon's from late '70's...I have are just like yours....scuffed up, drilled out, etc......but wow they all sure sound nice and that's pretty paramount.
And...or as you say if loot is not an issue....just buy more drums. Nothing the matter with adding a kit to the new toms and snare!!!! Two TW yellow kits....hopefully the new finish will be like the 10/14/snare....one older w/character and a new whippersnapper....yoweee!
bt

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heuer is moving to Georgia? Wow. Seems like everyone is moving there lately.