What Would You Do

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could have that color matched in a nitro lacquer using M.L. Campbell magnamax pigmented finish.
Don't use dowels to plug holes, use tapered birch plugs with no end grain. I would consider taking this on but it would be several months before I could do it.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seppo Salminen of TRS Custom drums does beautiful lacquer finish work and uses Nitrocellulose, Acrylic and apply lacquer finishes . He can duplicate any finish . He also does excellent refurbishing work ( edges, hole plugging ) and is an authorized Gretsch repair shop .
Now THIS is good to know.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll give the hole plugging a shot if you can tell me how to do it. I know I need dowels but how do I cut to the exact width
Get the dowels as close as possiable to size and then if they are too big to fit perfectly drill them out to the exact size that you need. To get the exact size that you need go to a machine shop supply or company that specialized in tool sales and by a bit the exact size of the dowel. I say that because metal machinist have drill bit indexes in incremental sizes to drill to tap for machine threads. If its a good tool shop you'll be able to find a bit the exact size you need for a couple of dollars. After you drill the hole the right size glue the dowel in the hole and then take a flat saw and cut the dowel close to shell and then take a sanding block and start 100 grit paper and sand the dowel on both sides of the shell as close as you dare and finish to the exact contour of the shell with like 220 grit paper. Take your time and do it carefully. make sure your dowels fit snugly in the hole and you should have a nice repair that will be minimally noticeable if at all.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd play another kit while this one lives in a drum repair shop for however long, and be ok with the idea that I probably wouldn't see it again for quite awhile. The guys who are great at this will be in high demand which means a longer wait time. It seems pretty clear that you want these drums to be idealized to your vision of how they should be and just wanted to talk about the drums and what they need, so go ahead already. You'll thank yourself.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, you have a bunch of feedback here, and it all seems to fall into one camp or the other - the vintage heads want you to keep them as is, don't touch a thing, change the way you feel about them and be happy with them, whereas other opinions fall into the "get them repaired and re-finished" camp, which makes the purists shudder.
My two cents: getting the drums re-finished will cost an arm and a leg, and will be iffy at best. Good luck getting a response from Chris Heuer, I never did. Other re-finishers may or may not do great work, but you're taking a big gamble that they will do a true Tony Williams yellow. And I think they should only be done in nitrocellulose lacquer, since that's what you have now.
My vote is that you sell that kit as is to the purists, and have the experts at Gretsch make you a new kit. They have the best experience at doing that finish, and the best experience in doing a nitro lacquer on a drum kit.
I spoke to Chris... he really is not hard to reach. He has a website and phone number(818)231-5311.

To have a new kit made is expense even with my contacts at Gretsch. It has to go through an authorized dealer. Best Price on BD is $1100 delivered. 8X12 is around $600. Money not being an issue...if I do what yu say I will lose the sentimentality value which you cannot place a price on.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems pretty clear that you want these drums to be idealized to your vision of how they should be and just wanted to talk about the drums and what they need, so go ahead already. You'll thank yourself.
I really really have not decided. I had my wife in my studio and we were discussing today. She said that since I have some newer TWY that I am not playing the complete original set anyways. I am still up in the air.
I might go hybrid.... replace the bd and have the 12/13/16 redone exact same paint.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Chris... he really is not hard to reach. He has a website and phone number(818)231-5311.

To have a new kit made is expense even with my contacts at Gretsch. It has to go through an authorized dealer. Best Price on BD is $1100 delivered. 8X12 is around $600. Money not being an issue...if I do what yu say I will lose the sentimentality value which you cannot place a price on.
If the sentimentality factor is big (and I certainly understand that), and money is not a big issue, I'd say go with a repair and refinish, as long as they can do a nitro lacquer and color-match.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like an Opinion.

I have a set of Tony Williams Yellow Paint from 1970.
Original drums are 22,12,13,16.
I had a 14 made about 4 years ago and found a 10 and 6 1/2 on line Both are not from the 70's. I don't use the snare.
The 12 and 13 have extra holes since I use Gauger suspension which I plugged with chrome bolts. The BD has extra holes from changing mounts and chips/scratches as do the toms. The 16 has some scratches. The 10 is virgin and in like new condition. There is a slight paint variation in the 10 and 14 since they are newer TWY.
This is the only drum set I have ever owned and kept.
Now for my question:
(Money not being an issue) Do I get my 22,12,13,16 refinished with matching paint and holes repaired other than the tom mount which I intend to use OR do I have a new BD,12,13,16 made up. OR do I leave as is.
This is a sentimental type of question
If they're gonna be keepers, I'd go all out on refinished. Keep what you have. I'd just make or have custom-made badges. Makes them personal. I fitted polished G.I. dog-tags on my refurbed sister's drums. She loved her name and Nasty Girl Drums #1,2,3,4,5 and 6 .

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a need. I'm thinking if I opened up a drum/stringed instrument refinishing shop specializing in custom spray finishes I might do alright.
What would someone be willing to pay for a 3 pc kit?