What would your dream snare be ?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have all my dreams snares very luckily. But I wish I would have kept my Neil Peart DW time machine snare. Killer deal used at GC but it didn't have the "candy" or case and had some damage, so I returned it...... it wasn't really a big deal terms of sound but still. I sure wish I kept it now, sadly...

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Fibes fiberglass with the orchestral snare wires.
I used a 5.5x14 Fibes fiberglass with standard wires with my Vistalite kit on the road from '73 through '77. I didn't even play one before I ordered it — I figured that if Buddy Rich liked it so much he would risk his endorsement deal with Slingerland by using a Fibes snare with his Slingerland kit, then it had to be a great drum, and it was. Sensitive all over the head, sounded great at all tunings (tho I had it tuned pretty high most of the time) and rimshots that cut like a 44-caliber gunshot. When I finally sold that whole rig in '82 the only thing I regretted letting go of was the Fibes snare drum.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I have what I could dream of, but I would love to add to my collection a reasonably priced 6.5 or 8x14 jarrah ply Brady and a ‘04 TAMA 8x14 bubinga.
That 8x14 Brady Jarrah is an utter beast!!
The 6.5x14 Brady Jarrah-ply is a beast as well ;)

bradyjarrahwandoo1small.jpg
bradyjarrahwandoo2small.jpg
bradyjarrahwandooairvent1small.jpg
bradyjarrahwandoobadgesmall.jpg
bradyjarrahwandoobearingedgesmall.jpg
bradyjarrahwandoobuttplatesmall.jpg
bradyjarrahwandooshell3small.jpg
bradyjarrahwandootrick2small.jpg
bradyjarrahwandootricksmall.jpg
bradyjarrahwandoosnarewires2small.jpg

My current dream snare is the original N&C Zildjian snare, sans cracks ;). I already talked to Nick about restoring one, if I was fortunate enough to find one at a reasonable price.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 6.5x14 Brady Jarrah-ply is a beast as well ;)

View attachment 445060 View attachment 445061 View attachment 445063 View attachment 445064 View attachment 445065 View attachment 445066 View attachment 445070 View attachment 445071 View attachment 445072 View attachment 445073

My current dream snare is the original N&C Zildjian snare, sans cracks ;). I already talked to Nick about restoring one, if I was fortunate enough to find one at a reasonable price.
Seriously, you need to let me over to hear it.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I have many of my dream snares, but I'd love a 8x14 Supraphonic (aluminum). Since it doesn't exist yet, to my knowledge, I'd settle for the copper version.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hard to say. I thought the AK Black Beauty that was at Drum Center for a while was really nifty. Didn't get to play it. But I know that if I had it, I'd start to get irritated with myself for having $3K tied up in a snare drum I never play.

But really, picking one now, to add to my collection? I have to ask what sort of voice is missing in my present set of snares and tbh there isn't much I can't do with what I have. I might just talk to Nick at Noble and Cooley to ask what the warmest, darkest, most splatty sort of wood shell I could buy and then get it finished to match my red Absolute Hybrid Maples. I'd want it to sound different from my SS Classic Maple 7x14 but also from my Slingerland Artist and the AHM snare. Maybe a walnut or dark cherry drum with roundovers? Hard to say. Or maybe I'd get something like the old Yamaha Elvin Jones model or the Anton Fig-- something with plies and wood hoops. Or an Ayotte Keplinger, since that one is really quite distinct from everything I have now.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. I thought the AK Black Beauty that was at Drum Center for a while was really nifty. Didn't get to play it. But I know that if I had it, I'd start to get irritated with myself for having $3K tied up in a snare drum I never play.

But really, picking one now, to add to my collection? I have to ask what sort of voice is missing in my present set of snares and tbh there isn't much I can't do with what I have. I might just talk to Nick at Noble and Cooley to ask what the warmest, darkest, most splatty sort of wood shell I could buy and then get it finished to match my red Absolute Hybrid Maples. I'd want it to sound different from my SS Classic Maple 7x14 but also from my Slingerland Artist and the AHM snare. Maybe a walnut or dark cherry drum with roundovers? Hard to say. Or maybe I'd get something like the old Yamaha Elvin Jones model or the Anton Fig-- something with plies and wood hoops. Or an Ayotte Keplinger, since that one is really quite distinct from everything I have now.
An Ash SS or Tulip SS would fit your parameters

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would love to have either a 6.5 Powertone or SuperTen...again
Let one get away years ago, always regretted it.

bubo

Reaction score
TAMA Superstar Mastercraft 5" x 14" Super Mahagony, 80s preferably but... meanwhile any finish would do and:
There seem to be none out there in Europe. :oops:

Reaction score
First, to answer the question. The only snare still "on my list" is a 6.5 Zelkova, but I need to find a good deal on a used one.

Secondly, as someone who owns a Brady Jarrah ply drum, I can tell all of the guys looking for one that if you can find a Yamaha Bamboo (or any other brand making Bamboo, I guess?) you can get "that sound" for much less. Bamboo ply is REALLY close in sound to Jarrah ply. I have a Bamboo 5x14, and sitting next to my 4.5 Jarrah ply, you can hardly tell the difference.

Lastly, I wish I could find someone with a 6.5 1920's Black Beauty that would rather have a 5.5. Because I have a 5.5 and would MUCH rather have a 6.5 (I just like 6.5 snares more.) I would trade drums. Longshot I know.

Although to satisfy that sound, I do have a 6.5 1920's Ludwig NOB two piece, so I'm good.

MSG

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vintage Black Beauty, I will take the anniversary edition too, the snare drum hop has as his profile picture.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have what I could dream of, but I would love to add to my collection a reasonably priced 6.5 or 8x14 jarrah ply Brady and a ‘04 TAMA 8x14 bubinga.
I’ve owned a few Brady’s; Jarrah ply, She-Oak block. Amazing drums.
Tama has a new 6.5x14” Spotted Gum snaredrum in their SLP series which sounds very Brady-ish, most likely because of the Australian hardwood. Dry, bright, huge low end/body and very sensitive. The price doesn’t break the bank.
But, a Brady is a Brady.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve owned a few Brady’s; Jarrah ply, She-Oak block. Amazing drums.
Tama has a new 6.5x14” Spotted Gum snaredrum in their SLP series which sounds very Brady-ish, most likely because of the Australian hardwood. Dry, bright, huge low end/body and very sensitive. The price doesn’t break the bank.
But, a Brady is a Brady.
I've been interested in trying one of these slp's

Latest posts