What would your dream snare be ?

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I might already have it -

Pearl Free Floater with 1 4" red acrylic shell and when I want to, an amber 5" acrylic shell . Pearl Stainless tri flange stainless steel hoops . Any batter head I use gives me EXACTLY what I predicted it would . Tune it up , it never chokes . Tune it down it never boxes out . Play it loud, soft and all points in between and it speaks .

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Father; you can still have Arnie Lang build you one, just know he is not getting any younger.

Noble; COB in this case because I have my fave woodies already

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fibes one that buddy rich played, or a nice '20s Ludwig nickle over brass snare, or a noble and Cooley solid shell "51/2 in cherry or at least maple. Any good sounding radio king 7" sorry that's more than one!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you're buying I don't need it but I'll play..

I'll use it once and give it back to you..

That's Ok I don't want it.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig Coliseum and Gretsch Round Badge.

Oh wait I already have them.

BDP Precision re-wrap Ludwig Coliseum (gonna try to sell)

Chrome over brass Ludwig Coliseum

Gretsch RB RB 14x5.5 Original BDP wrap.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I'd love a 1971 402.
A newer model I'd love is a 6.5 Pewter finish Ludwig.
Snare I could dream about-- a 5.5 Craviatto AK Diamond snare.

veggo32

Reaction score
Hi Everyone; While I admire listening and watching demos of high end boutique snares on utube I haven't actually had the pleasure of playing or owning one. Just can't afford it, but I have a 1976 Blue Olive Supraphonic that has 2.3 mm Gibraltar hoops swapped in and it is the perfect sound to me. I guess you can say it's a dream snare and I haven't bothered looking for anything different for the last five years. On the other hand I'm still looking for my dream ride.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Slingerland Radio King cloud badge 14x6.5 built from 1937-1941. This is when they went to the lug inserts following the Broadcaster. WMP would be fine.

dana bag of donuts

Reaction score
I think I have my dream snares..Over weight,self made cast,guitar killers made from tool steal..ha
14/8" and a 14/5.5" with the shallower one having a 1/2" thick steel shell.the 8" is 3mm.Outfitted with cast hoops and single point lugs.Their loud.
But would love to get my hands on a 70's Bell Brass Tama....So expensive.

Brien B

Reaction score
GREAT question, depends on the situation. I have about 9 or 10 snares I've kept over the years.

My two favorites (and my dream snares) are first a Slingerland Louie Bellson "spitfire" 12 lug brass 4 vent that I bought new in 1979. It's super sensitive, has a great tone and carries well even when playing with a light touch.

The other is a 1930ish Ludwig Nickel over brass that I picked up for $25 back in 1980. The day I bought it, I quickly threw on some new heads, conventional rims, and snares (kicking myself for not keeping the original ones), wiped it off with a rag and then went on to use it on the next couple hundred gigs or so. Great brass tone and not overpowering for the smaller settings I was playing (weddings, corporate gigs, parties)

40 years later, I got around to cleaning it up and it still sounds (and now looks) great.

20190223_064255.jpg

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
6.5 Wood Powertone, or the 5x14 Supra I had in the mid 70's.

Han

Reaction score
First off - Let’s make some rules on this .
1) Keep your choice to date me snare only and it can be vintage or modern
2) It must be something you don’t currently own .

So what would it be folks ? What drum that you don’t own would be your dream drum ?

Me personally it would be one of the Paiste Spirit of 2002 snares .
Mine would probably be an AK. Copper custom 6.25" x 14" or 6.5" x 14" or a 6.5" x 14" Black beauty. I'll never be able to afford one but I hope one day I get to play one.