What your band is REALLY thinking.......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was listening to the radio today. There is a local hippie station (KPIG) that plays a lot of bluegrass, folk, country, old rock, Americana, roots type music.....certainly better than the "corporate classic rock station" but anyway. They have a new DJ on Wed nights and he ran an ad for his show. He said if you listened in, he'll have a local band in the studio each "Friends-day" and you can learn a lot, including "tour van napping techniques, gig drink ticket delegation and TIPS ON HOW TO AVOID LOADING UP THE DRUMS!"

I thought that was pretty funny and I actually called in and he picked up the phone (yes it's a small station! You can win tickets if you're literally like caller #2!)......

Anyways.....hold on to your golden drink tickets to bribe your lazy bandmates to carry your gear while you nap in the Econoline........

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
You really don't want them to carry your drums anyway. They carry cases by their straps, not the handles, they sit them down in your drum footprint, then you have to move them, AGAIN, and, after the gig, they are only doing it to rush you, so you can drive them home.
Yes I had to get a new buckle for my bass drum case after help. Replaced it with a metal one from a website called strapworks or something like that. It won't break again that's for sure...well never say never, the bass player might help load one day.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny thing these bands...
Turns out this drummer is the only one with a good back (still..) so I get to hump all the gear for the rest of the folks.
Yup. Fun stuff! Luckily we updated our PA to a nice light QSC system instead of them ol JBL boat anchors we had..
BEND WITH YOUR KNEES!!

and yeah, nobody touches my drums. :happy7:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You really don't want them to carry your drums anyway. They carry cases by their straps, not the handles, they sit them down in your drum footprint, then you have to move them, AGAIN, and, after the gig, they are only doing it to rush you, so you can drive them home.
They do a bad job so you won't ask them to help in the future.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
OMG, this is SO true! And when they carry them out to the van, they put them by the back bumper, so you have to move them to open the doors! I mean, right?

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have a system to load them on the rock n roller and in my car, similar to Tetris. Any time someone offers help, I politely let them know it's gotta be done a certain way and thank them anyway.

I play a 4-piece that doesn't really take that long to set up/tear down, about 15 minutes. It takes about that long for the rest of the guys to break their stuff down anyway, so we're all done about the same time.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
TIPS ON HOW TO AVOID LOADING UP THE DRUMS
Agree, It should be AVOID LOADING THE PA

I'm always "busy" - packing away felts and drum keys- when that occurs...

Actually, that's the reason guitar and bass players have Children right? So when they come of age they become "the band's roadies". yea that's it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Come to think of it, WHY does the band think I want them to touch my drums????

I prefer NOT having anyone touch or move my drum cases/cymbal bag, but feel free to lift/roll my 80 lb. bag of hardware!

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find that potential "helpers" always come up right, immediately, after the last song and offer help. I say " Let me take these down and pack, come back in 10 minutes, that's when I will need help"..... they never show up until I'm done and then fake apologize for not helping.

I do have one band member trained to clear a path for me and hold doors....that's the best help we drummers can hope for short of hiring a tech.

Joe61

Reaction score
This post just keeps on getting better!
Drumming is really a brotherhood of like minded thinkers.