What'd ya think of this Rogers Buddy Kit ??

I'm a Rogers lover. I'm not a Rogers expert. Some experts will correct any of my wrong assumptions about this drum set.

* These drums are worth that much money if it could be verified that Bernard Rich, himself, owned and played them at one time.

* The Powertone and Holiday mix and match may have been how they left the factory. But, this anomally makes their originality as a factory matched kit suspect to collectors with this kind of budget.

* Even with the wood Dynasonic, some hunting and patience would result in finding all the pieces for considerably less money than this listing wants.

* Waddaya think Rogers experts?

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice authentic BR setup. However, don't think it was stated (perhaps implied) that they were used by the man himself. The kit is a Fullerton era set and at the time it was manufactured, BR was no longer associated with CBS and Rogers.

Is it worth the money? Hard to say. Even though the dyna is a FUllerton era drum, it would still bring a bundle by itself. Add in a factory correct 24" bass drum with the BR hardware configuration, the toms, and correct hardware, and you have a pricey kit. You don't see an original set up like that too often, regardless of era.

The listing did not imply that BR played or owned this kit. The point I made is that they are overpriced for what they are. The drums are a very nice kit. The Dynasonic is a real gem for folks who like Dynasonics. Personally, I found them to be more problematic (finicky) than I wanted to deal with. And, I not only played Rogers, I sold them, too. I began as a manusacturer's rep for Fender when the company was known as Fender/Rogers/Rhodes. So, I sold a ton of them.

Just realized that the statement in blue reminded me of the Sy Sperling Hair Club For Men commercials.

Additional thought: No knock against the Fullerton production intended....But, the Ohio made Rogers drums command significantly higher prices on the vintage market.

Retro Rob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He only needs one buyer. Not a bargain, but like anything vintage, there worth what someone will pay for them.

Peter56

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think it`s worth the opening bid. It`s all there, and Rogers hardware isn`t cheap, particularly the cymbal stands.
Beautiful outfit.

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
Donn isn't shy about asking top dollar for the good stuff. But I don't know that he expects to sell them on eBay for this kind of coin - it's a cheap advertising vehicle, and he can always make an off-line deal if somebody is really interested...

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
I'm a bit inclined to side with Howie here.

I'd personally like for all the drums to be either PowerTone or Holiday ... for that kind of money .. AND yes, that's just me and my way of justifying the cash outlay.

But in the real world I don't have that kinda money anyway ... just sayin' though!!!

Robb

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found them to be more problematic (finicky) than I wanted to deal with. And, I not only played Rogers, I sold them, too.

I'm with you on that one leedybdp. I'll take a Powertone any day. If I was doing orchestral work, might be a different story.

I also agree that they are pricey, but try finding that 24 bass drum (from any era) with the factory installed mounts in the BR configuration. Might be more in line with the opening price.

mwb5271

Reaction score
I am not a drum expert let alone a Rogers expert but these babys look sweet! Way out of my league though!

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
Well, it IS complete, but even if it were a set of Buddy's would it command that much cash??

He's not Cindy Blackman you know!!! :lol: :lol:

_
_

Vipercussionist said:
Well, it IS complete, but even if it were a set of Buddy's would it command that much cash??

He's not Cindy Blackman you know!!! :lol: :lol:

_
_

Now, that is perversely funny.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
That's a nice kit, but those 4 drums may have not come together as a set. They are a good match and they appear to be in nice condition.

If the Dyna is worth $3000 (a tough number in this market), then this assumes the other 4 and the stands are worth $3000.

He would be better off selling the snare, the kit and each of the stands separately. He actually might hit his goal of $6000 if he does that.

But trying to take a short cut and move it all at once to one buyer is going to be tough...

It's obviously one of the jewels of his collection, and took some time to put together over the years. And he may need some cash right now, but in this market the timing is not right.

But you never know.