Whatever Happened to Herman Rarebell?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The name of hard-hitting Herman (the German) Rarebell is back in the news.

When I saw Scorpions at the absolute height of Rock You Like a Hurricane, Rarebell distinguished himself with a cool drum solo and by making all the stage announcements (I guess he spoke better English than Klaus and Co.).

Here's news from Digital Trend of a show I'd love to see (though it's currently only scheduled in Ol' Blighty):

Regarding his forthcoming concert at Brighton Dome, Rarebell said, "The show will start with a great drum 'battle' where the three of us play with and 'against' each other. After that, I will continue and play some of the Scorpions' songs that I wrote or co-wrote, such as 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' and 'Another Piece of Meat and Blackout,' just to name a few." Rarebell continued, "Ginger Baker and Pete York will also come out and play some of the classic rock hits from their past such as 'Sunshine Of Your Love' and 'White Room,' and Pete will, of course, play 'Keep On Running' and 'Gimme Some Loving.' The show will also feature a drum solo from each drummer and in the end a fabulous finale with all the musicians involved." On his plans for 2019, he said, 'To take Drum Legends to other places and to make it successful everywhere - to introduce Drum Legends live to as many people as possible. When asked what motivates him each day, Rarebell responded, "My motivation is still to create new music every day and try to get better on my drums." Digital transformation of the music industry On the impact of technology on the music business, Rarebell said, "I feel that many musicians are ripped off by these companies. It is very hard for smaller artists and those starting out to make any money from the music they write now. It was much better for them when people went and bought physical product." He noted that he uses technology in his daily routine. "I rehearse, for example, with Bluetooth wireless from my iPhone to my drumkit," he said. Rarebell expressed how happy he is due to the resurgence of vinyl. "I feel very happy that vinyl is back. I also love the warmth and scratchiness," he said. Regarding the key to longevity in the music business, he said, "Well, you have to love what you're doing and keep on rocking 'til you drop." His advice for aspiring drummers and musicians is to "rehearse" consistently. "Also, believe in yourselves," he added. For his dedicated fans, Rarebell concluded, "I think you should all come and watch this historic moment. It's going to be terrific fun and a real once-in-a-lifetime thing. See you there."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/music/ex-scorpions-drummer-herman-rarebell-talks-brighton-dome-show/article/540651#ixzz5cJCet4fS

Dave

Reaction score
Saw him play with Michael Schenker 2 or 3 years ago.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The name of hard-hitting Herman (the German) Rarebell is back in the news.

When I saw Scorpions at the absolute height of Rock You Like a Hurricane, Rarebell distinguished himself with a cool drum solo and by making all the stage announcements (I guess he spoke better English than Klaus and Co.).

Here's news from Digital Trend of a show I'd love to see (though it's currently only scheduled in Ol' Blighty):

Regarding his forthcoming concert at Brighton Dome, Rarebell said, "The show will start with a great drum 'battle' where the three of us play with and 'against' each other. After that, I will continue and play some of the Scorpions' songs that I wrote or co-wrote, such as 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' and 'Another Piece of Meat and Blackout,' just to name a few." Rarebell continued, "Ginger Baker and Pete York will also come out and play some of the classic rock hits from their past such as 'Sunshine Of Your Love' and 'White Room,' and Pete will, of course, play 'Keep On Running' and 'Gimme Some Loving.' The show will also feature a drum solo from each drummer and in the end a fabulous finale with all the musicians involved." On his plans for 2019, he said, 'To take Drum Legends to other places and to make it successful everywhere - to introduce Drum Legends live to as many people as possible. When asked what motivates him each day, Rarebell responded, "My motivation is still to create new music every day and try to get better on my drums." Digital transformation of the music industry On the impact of technology on the music business, Rarebell said, "I feel that many musicians are ripped off by these companies. It is very hard for smaller artists and those starting out to make any money from the music they write now. It was much better for them when people went and bought physical product." He noted that he uses technology in his daily routine. "I rehearse, for example, with Bluetooth wireless from my iPhone to my drumkit," he said. Rarebell expressed how happy he is due to the resurgence of vinyl. "I feel very happy that vinyl is back. I also love the warmth and scratchiness," he said. Regarding the key to longevity in the music business, he said, "Well, you have to love what you're doing and keep on rocking 'til you drop." His advice for aspiring drummers and musicians is to "rehearse" consistently. "Also, believe in yourselves," he added. For his dedicated fans, Rarebell concluded, "I think you should all come and watch this historic moment. It's going to be terrific fun and a real once-in-a-lifetime thing. See you there."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/music/ex-scorpions-drummer-herman-rarebell-talks-brighton-dome-show/article/540651#ixzz5cJCet4fS

Herman was a guest on That Metal Show a few years (or more) back. He was happy and doing well. As you posted above, he wrote some of their biggest hits and is on good terms with his former bandmates. He was living in England when he joined the Scorpions and spoke better English than the other guys. It was a natural fit for him to write lyrics and also announce if needed.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a huge scorpions fan. Love drive to crazy world, that is a run of 6 killer albums. I always thought that their song writing was a cut above of what other like bands were doing during that period. Seen them several times in Germany while stationed there. So cool!

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge scorpions fan. Love drive to crazy world, that is a run of 6 killer albums. I always thought that their song writing was a cut above of what other like bands were doing during that period. Seen them several times in Germany while stationed there. So cool!
That was a great run of albums. Scorps, Van Halen, Priest and Maiden all had great 4-6+ album runs during that period. My first Scorpions show was in 1980 Def Leppard/Scorpions/Ted Nugent. I was a big Scorpions fan ever since.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I woke up thinking Scorpions to follow up MSG five fer.
Didnt want to take thunder away from this thread.
Good stuff

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Rock You Like a Hurricane........................good song

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Big Scorpions fan here too. Always loved Herman and his big Ludwig kits. I remember he released an album way back in the day called Herman Z German or something like that. I’m gonna have to see if I can find that.

dangermoney

Reaction score
Remember covering Blackout and No One Like You back in the 80's ... great stuff!

Glad to hear that Herman is still doing his thing ...

PaiceFan

Reaction score
Love early Scorps Pictured Life The Sails Of Charon We’ll Burn the Sky etc seemed to have changed their direction after Ulrich Roth Guitarist left they put out some really brilliant stuff with him

Latest posts