Whatever Happened to Queensrÿche Drummer Scott Rockenfield???

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid (like 9-11), I was fascinated by the "Whatever Happened to" series of books about Hollywood stars who had shone brightly in the 20s, 30s or 40s, but wound up sad, destitute and forgotten.

I've had a similar fascination with Queensrÿche as a great example of a band who was utterly ruined by record company meddling. Just listen to their self-produced, I think, 1985 EP. At the time, it was an absolutely fresh sounding, hard-rocking record, and Scott Rockenfield's drumming was an enormous part of their sound.

Unfortunately, subsequent records were spoiled by unneeded studio sheen as their record company overlords chased MTV glory -- culminating in 1990's "Silent Lucidity," a sad ballad that lamely incorporates Brahms’ "Lullaby." It became a huge hit, reaching #9 on Billboard -- forever locking the band into being a more slickly produced successor to some of the more plodding noodly-doodly (prog) bands of an earlier era, but with huge Bon Jovi choruses.

Back to "Whatever Happened to": After a four-year absence (and I mean a complete disappearance from the public realm, not just appearing on stage) Scott Rockenfield reappeared yesterday to say he's back... In fact, he pretty much says he remains Queensrÿche's drummer -- even though he's seemingly been in hermit-style isolation since he took parental leave from the band in Feb. 2017 -- and was replaced by former Kamelot drummer Casey Grillo, who has been performing with the band ever since.

Weirdly, replacement singer Todd La Torre replaced Rockenfield and Grillo, to drum on the band's 2019 album (the name of which does not matter). FWIW, La Torre took over for Geoff Tate in 2012 after the band gave up on trying to get Tate to spell his first name in the normal way.

In 2019, guitarist Michael Wilton told an interviewer there were no plans for Rockenfield to return to the band, hinting the drummer was having medical problems ... Wilson probably should have been reminded that Def Leppard once kept a drummer on its payroll who had but one arm until he was ready to resume work.

Suddenly, Rockenfield is back as of yesterday ... or at least back on Twitter.

"I most definitely did not and have not quit, walked away from, retired or abandoned Queensrÿche," he tweeted, according to the Brave Words metal news site. He added ominously, "You have not been given the facts."

It's more than a bit like Gloria Swanson as the aging/ancient silent film star in "Sunset Boulevard" crashing a Hollywood film set to declare, "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up."

As always, I look forward to your thoughts, speculation and insights on this bizarre situation -- especially if you're Rockenfield, Grillo or La Torre (I'd be fascinated to learn your DrumForum names).

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a HUGE Queensryche fan back in the day. I still consider Operation Mindcrime to be a masterpiece.

I don't think what happened to them was record company meddling, so much as Geoff Tate is a narcissistic lunatic. Glenn Fricker has a funny story about mixing a record for Tate's split version of the band and not getting paid for it.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the business side of things, I’m a huge original QR fan - great drumming, great guitars, and great vocals. Rockenfield very impressive, and Tate with one of the best rock voices in the industry.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Scott has a young child at home. It's also my understanding that when said child was born a few years back, he wanted to reduce his touring commitments and the band did not. Thus, his "hiatus" from QR. Scott also owns at least a third of the name, so he collected while at home raising his child. Good for him.