What's a custom cymbal or even cymbal line you'd want?

markkarj

Reaction score
I suppose another way to ask the question is, "What's the sound you have in your head that a cymbal company has yet to produce?"

I have a few...
1) I'd like a ride that sounds like "silver gloss"... I have two that are close... an A Custom flat ride and a 22" Paiste heavy full reflector crash. I'd like to do a Frankenstein project with them.

2) They've categorically rejected it, but I've liked Paiste Giant Beats and would welcome paper thin versions of a 14" and 16" crash, a 10" splash and a China type.

3) I'd be interested in a 22" Sabian AAX Vault V crash... I have a 20" with a certain "zing" to it.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sure it exists already somewhere, but I'm still questing after the "perfect" hybrid between a large crash and a swish. Like not as fully Chinese sounding as a typical swish, pang, mellow china, or Trash Hit; just a bit of that exotic trash as "seasoning" on a large crash would be ideal for me. The Stanton Moore one with the giant softball-sized divots in it is close. I've already wrecked two cymbals trying to hammer them myself to get that sound. Maybe the third time is the charm.

cozy4ever

Reaction score
a special effects cymbal made of unbreakable tempered glass that you could hit more lightly with a nylon capped mallet

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Paiste 602 Reissues in more sizes and weights. I would love some medium crashes and heavy rides/hats, and some effects cymbals to be added to the line.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Paiste 602 Reissues in more sizes and weights. I would love some medium crashes and heavy rides/hats, and some effects cymbals to be added to the line.
^^This^^^

I’d like to see them fill the gaps in the thin crash sizes (17/19 at least), make the 15” SE hats a regular item, heavier rides/hats and at least a 10” splash and 18/20 china.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've done enough trumpeting about this on the forum here...but, well, why not some more? It's just a sound in my mind.

From Zildjian K, a crash/ride cymbal that is: Low and dark but NOT real thin and airy. DRY but still open and responsive. Weighty enough to have great depth. Large and low-pitched bell. A really moody, dusty-sounding, dark cymbal that still has great presence and projection.

Certain EAKs have this kind of sound. I also hear similar qualities in the Special Dry 21" rides, especially the old versions.

A 22" version of that old Special Dry design would be great, as would a 22" thinner version of the Organic. Similar idea.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a few...
1) I'd like a ride that sounds like "silver gloss"... I have two that are close... an A Custom flat ride and a 22" Paiste heavy full reflector crash. I'd like to do a Frankenstein project with them.

the a custom flat is the one! they only made it in 20, but i would have loved a 22. i can't believe they do not make it at all anymore.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Paiste custom shop is taking orders. And only a 30% upcharge. Ouch.
Oh yeah, I would like to place some custom orders but that is just too much up-charge IMO. I could understand that charge if I were ordering something completely one-off.

$786.50 for a 22" 602 Heavy Ride is pretty high lol!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I would like to place some custom orders but that is just too much up-charge IMO. I could understand that charge if I were ordering something completely one-off.

$786.50 for a 22" 602 Heavy Ride is pretty high lol!
I've been talking to Memphis about a 20 Paper Thin Crash. SOMETHING THAT WAS IN THE CATALOG JUST 4-5 YEARS AGO. Ugggghh. They don't even have to make the damn thing, just pull it off a shelf. Pisses me off :)