What's a good mid ranged brass snare?

Maddnotez

Reaction score
Looking at different snares for metal music. I really like the sound of the JT147 but can't find it for sale anywhere.

Not sure if I should get something deep or a piccolo or whatever. Just something really good for metal without a crazy price tag.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My initial thought was to buy a 6.5 x 14 Slingerland brass snare drum for about $200. But the 2mm shell on the one you are looking at puts it into a different category. There are milled brass shells out there that are 3mm thick, 5mm at the bearing edge. Lots of makers used this identical shell from a 3rd party (Worldmax???) and you could look for it across brands. I have the milled stainless steel version of this 3rd party shell, the Mike Marsh model from DDrum which I bought used at a pro shop (Trading Musician) for $280.

Perhaps others will come along to fill in the details that I cannot recall.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not brass, but the Gretsch Brooklyn steel snares are 2mm thick with 3mm hoops. It has the cut of steel with more focus than a typical 1mm shell. You can get them for around $250 new.

And for brass on a budget, it's hard to beat Pork Pie.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought an Ahead black chrome over brass snare several years ago for under $250 at the time. 6x14 with S hoops. Has been the work horse for me in blues and classic rock music.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I too was going to recommend the WorldMax-based drums like the Pork Pie BOB or the Ludwig Black Magic. I recently had a Black Magic and let me tell you, if you can find one with die cast hoops that drum is loud and cutting as can be.

But then I read the suggestions for a good heavy steel shell snare and think that might do what you’re looking for. So give that a try. But if it were me (and it’s not, I’m not a metal guy), I would definitely go for a 6.5 or 8 inch depth.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pork Pie black brass. Usually around $300.

The DW Design brass snare is good, too.

Or go on Drum Factory Direct, buy a World Max shell and parts and make your own.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a PDP black ace in 5x14 black nickel over brass in good shape that sounds nice.

If you want a 7" deep brass, I used to have the Pork Pie patina snare but that's a 13" wide. Killer sound though and awesome finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddnotez

Reaction score
That DW Design sounds really good in the videos I'm hearing. If I went that route is the 6.5" a big difference from the 5.5"?

It's hard to judge based off YouTube with so many different variables depending on which video im watching.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That DW Design sounds really good in the videos I'm hearing. If I went that route is the 6.5" a big difference from the 5.5"?

It's hard to judge based off YouTube with so many different variables depending on which video im watching.
Last Xmas they were $279 direct from DW.
Now the are $319.
$40 buck upcharge.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play hard rock and metal too. My 6.5”x14” DW Collector’s brass is perfect. 3mm thick!

These new Pearl Matt Halpern brass snares look/sound great too...

If those are a bit too expensive, I’d look into a Ludwig Nickel over Brass Black Magic Snare or a DW Collector’s Black Nickel over Brass Snare. They both sound awesome and are available in 8” depths as well.

Ludwig Black Beauty Snares sound fantastic too, but they are more money.

Last edited:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ended up ordering the DW Design Series Snare Drum - 6.5 x 14 inch - Black Nickel Over Brass

Thanks for the suggestions, im sure anything will be better that what im using.
Great choice.. I have the 5.5 (as seen above) and really want a 6.5 brass. Sell it to me if you do not like it!
I love mine, NO regrets.

The DW snares (IMHO) really have a lot more character than the Pork Pie/World Max/PDP Ace/Black Magic snares that all seem rather generic and interchangeable. Plus tube lugs are just an antiquated design... too easy to cross threads. Who needs that in life?

Last edited:

goodcat1337

Reaction score
Pork Pie BOB, Ludwig Black Magic, and DW Design are all pretty much interchangeable imo. I've owned all three. I guess it would come down to the size you want and maybe the finish. the PP has quite a few finishes like the patina and the pork rub, and they offer 13", whereas the DW only offers 14". I know older models of the Black Magic came in 13", but not sure about newer ones. They all sound great for $300 though.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play hard rock and metal too. My 6.5”x14” DW Collector’s brass is perfect. 3mm thick!

These new Pearl Matt Halpern brass snares look/sound great too...

If those are a bit too expensive, I’d look into a Ludwig Nickel over Brass Black Magic Snare or a DW Collector’s Black Nickel over Brass Snare. They both sound awesome and are available in 8” depths as well.

Ludwig Black Beauty Snares sound fantastic too, but they are more money.
I have the same Collectors with brass rims and lugs. Great sounding but heavy!
502AD7D6-5E18-44B7-92A0-746ACF24CBF3.jpeg

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't consider it mid-range, I have the Yamaha Recording Custom 14x6.5 Brass Snare and it's a force to be reckoned with. The solid build quality is worth the extra money.

YamahaRC1.jpg