What's going on with Paiste?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've gone to music stores large, and small. From coast to coast, and many in between. I've yet to go to a store and see anything besides a few 2002's, 900''s, or a few Signature Full crashes. The ones I see on display are often defective as well. I don't buy cymbals I don't play first. I've gotten good at finding good deals, and lucky as well. It almost seems they don't really care.
I wasn't really sure until today. I went to order Paiste Protector polish, and cleaner from one, if not the largest online music store.
I paid last week, and noticed it wasn't on my CC statement. I called the E store, and asked what the deal was.
Turns out, they won't be getting any more in stock until next year! It's only March.
I really don't understand what this company is doing business wise?
They're the 3rd largest cymbal company in the world (last I checked), but seems the AA guys may have caught up? Well they've surpassed them inventory wise by a mile.
If Paiste had more cymbals on display, allowing more drummers to hear them, they would sell a ton of cymbals, and the prices would drop on their pro level models. I seriously won't buy another brand, that's how far superior I think they sound.
Anyway, does anyone know if they're in debt? Trying to go chapter 11? When I was in Cali a month, or so ago, I even stopped at the GC in the town Paiste has it's US headquarters, and the selection was the worse yet! I think every Paiste cymbal in stock was defective too.
Idk, maybe someone knows something I don't, or has an idea what is going on?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've definitely had similar experiences. I don't know where they're selling in the world, but I'm guessing a relative handful of dealers sell most of their cymbals.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've definitely had similar experiences. I don't know where they're selling in the world, but I'm guessing a relative handful of dealers sell most of their cymbals.
I'd love to know where those retailers are. I was in LA, Manhattan, Philly, Vegas in the past month. I figured since the name is big enough and cymbals consistent as ya find, they must be selling like crazy online?
Can't even get the cleaner, and polish until next year?
That's just poor business imo

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My guess is that any deliberate stocking strategy by Paiste is afforded by their reliable consistency. This makes it 'safer' to buy online and perhaps that commerce is preferred by Paiste?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd love to know where those retailers are. I was in LA, Manhattan, Philly, Vegas in the past month. I figured since the name is big enough and cymbals consistent as ya find, they must be selling like crazy online?
Can't even get the cleaner, and polish until next year?
That's just poor business imo
I'd like to know, too. I mean, they're clearly not selling massive piles of gear, but people DO own them. I just assume someone must have them even though I can't say I've been anywhere that's well-stocked with Paistes. Maybe Drum Center of New Hampshire? No idea.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yea, they’re not as popular here as Zildjian (and perhaps Sabian). I even asked one of the guys at Sam Ash, and he said that Paiste doesn’t sell as well for them.

Stores here normally have more limited Paiste. 2002 is normally what I see in stores, but sometimes Signatures. I don’t think I’ve actually EVER seen anything in person here from the Masters, Traditionals, or Dark Energy lines.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the tariffs have something to do with it?
The tariff thing is a joke. I won't go into detail, but companies have had ways to bypass those before they were ever put in place.
As for online sales....a year for me to get Paiste protector/polish?? That is just bad business.
I too have never seen any other lines besides 2002, 900, or Sigs.
I used to hang out 5 days a week at The Drum Center in NY back in the late 90's, and they were right in it with Zildjian, and Sabian.
All I can think....poor Management, and terrible sales team, unless they do want to go chapter 11??,

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my Paiste's so much and I bought all of them on line. It's kind of exciting actually. They all play pretty much as described. Gorgeous cymbals. They have all but rendered my Zildjians and Istanbuls nearly useless much as I love them.

I was at our local GC and Resurrection Drums this Monday and there were a bunch of Paiste's in stock, but certainly not the full gamut. They had a Giant Beat ride that had me kicking myself for selling mine!

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just want the polish. As I said, I don't buy cymbals unless I hear em first. That's even knowing how consistent they are (I had gotten 1 poor sounding Sig ride in the 90's. For Sweetwater to tell me they wouldn't be getting more until next year shocked me.
To be honest I'm more than set with all my cymbals. It's just odd to go to LA, Times Square, music row, and not see a single cymbal besides the models I mentioned is just odd.
I'd bet if more new/young cats got to hear em at music stores, their sales would go up a ridiculous amount.
I can get the polish on ebay, and I'm sure other places, but geez, Sweetwater telling me they couldn't get any baffled me

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well the days of buying only after hearing and touching them first, went out around 1998. (Once everyone was on Dial- Up) So gonna have to learn how to buy- Used and New (I'd suggest Used).
There's more choice than ever- you just cannot touch (and hear) them first..... BUT You learn what you're doing after awhile and remember....

the days when we went to store and "bought" a cymbal .....(Didn't solve everything).... How many times would we return - drive back out- and exchange that cymbal for another one? Yeah. Exactly. Many times. To the point of 'silly' sometimes..

So it's Six or a Half Dozen. The USED (and new..) nationwide/global/ market is open to us now. Like never before.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well the days of buying only after hearing and touching, them first went out around 1998. (Once everyone was on Dial- Up) So gonna have to learn how to buy- Used and New (I'd suggest Used).
There's more choice than ever- you just cannot touch (and hear) them first..... BUT You learn what you're doing after awhile and remember....

the days when we went to store and "bought" a cymbal .....(Didn't solve everything).... How many times would we return - drive back out- and exchange that cymbal for another one? Yeah. Exactly. Many times. To the point of 'silly' sometimes..

So it's Six or a Half Dozen. The USED (and new..) nationwide/global/ market is open to us now. Like never before.
You make a great point.
What gets me, all these shops have just about all the new models from the other big companies.
They're losing generations of potential customers. There's a lot to be said for trying a product.
Mid/late 90's just about everything changed. Maybe they're content?
That's not Paiste to me. I should be able to drive 5 min, or at worst 20 minutes and buy just about any cymbal of choice. The cleaners should be a given.
Well, maybe I'm sounding old, but having been a business owner, I just think they need to reevaluate

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
For the generation they lose -----that Generation is on you tube watching and seeing whats out there..More information may be out - about Paiste too---than ever before. The whole Jazz world is way hip to the Masters---what's his name (sorry can't recall) is playing because of his you tube vids..

If you go back 90 years (kidding...) the ratio of Zildjian to Paiste in a store was probably the same.

Greg Hutchinson that's the name. And then there's the guys that remember Paul Motian using Paiste ( try and buy a Paiste SCDR these days; price is thru the roof (because of popularity..

More people know of O-Zone type crashes from every manufacturer than there are that have ever seen one in person!! (lol.
I'd never own 17 old Ks as I do without the Internets!

Yeah. I miss stores too.
Pretty soon there is going to be one employer ya know. " He'll ( she, "it" will own distribution of everything (Right Nacci? ; It's true or looking that way!

Bonzo442

Reaction score
If this is the case then why doesn’t Paiste just drop ship directly from their headquarters here in the US and save us all some $$

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the GC near me always has plenty of P's. Pro Drum always has plenty of P's.
Are you rubbing it in cause I didn't have time to get over there?
I'd love to see a music store with 1/2 a wall of Paiste cymbals.
Alright, a sinister plan to make us all a couple bucks.....
We seek out, and buy all the Paiste cleaner, and polish we can find, hold em hostage until Sept, and raise to price to $700 a bottle (oh wait, a pharma co beat me to it) ;)

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are you rubbing it in cause I didn't have time to get over there?
I'd love to see a music store with 1/2 a wall of Paiste cymbals.
Alright, a sinister plan to make us all a couple bucks.....
We seek out, and buy all the Paiste cleaner, and polish we can find, hold em hostage until Sept, and raise to price to $700 a bottle (oh wait, a pharma co beat me to it) ;)
I not rubbing it , Nanook is

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stores are only going to invest in stock that sells. Paiste's market share is dwarfed by zildjian, so a store is not going to invest in stock that it cant move. It is why you see way more entry level drums in most stores, like stage customs, PDPs, etc. And tons of e-kits. . .sigh.

Latest posts