Whats it going to be like for drummers and musicians going into the future ?

bonsritmos

Reaction score
...a very big question has been looming in my head , for myself , and for the music industry . whats it going to be like for drummers and musicians going into the future ? and im looking at that from a personal standpoint first .

i think there has been dramatic change for musicians and the industry going on for a long time . how can it not be more affected ?

could people flock to live music in huge numbers ? would there be a demand like never before ? or would the demand be more for the people at the top , which will get narrower ? and , for live musicians , it might get worse , when we were competing with an ever more increasing electronic computor music for even background ambiant ?

no doubt , some people will thrive . people will always play drums . im playing more drums than ever (not in front of people ) , but , more involved solo discoveries and some international youtube productions ...

but, something has happened , after a slow live gig touring schedule a year before 2020 , ,but very meaningful performances , doing what i want , this year of cant travel , has kind of kicked me the habit of needing to perform in front of people .
before it was a desperation adiction , give me 5 people at the bar and the waitresses and ill be inspired and get my habit off . i guess i needed that to get out the door sometrimes , but it gets abusive .

from here on out , it all has to be what i want to do , my company , productions , my inspirations realised . that is how i look to the future ...for sure with my well being the first priority and how drums can bring well being if you do what you want to do on them .

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played my first paying gig in a bar at age sixteen in 1975. About six months later, shortly before I turned seventeen I joined a working band full time.

In 1991 my playing was interrupted by a bad motorcycle accident, and the recover from said accident.

I suffered a major stroke in 2008. That took me out of the game for a while as well.

I was never a "pro", but a very busy cover band musician. I had years in the 80s that I played between four and six nights a week. There were only a few years that I didn't play over fifty gigs, and many when I played well over a hundred. (A couple of years it I played between 250-300 gigs.)

In late 2019 a busy band that I was in for six years ceased to exist when the band leader moved to Florida. I was in a second band as well. The bassist left that band in December of 2019, he was the only reason that I was in that band.

I decided that I'd look for a new gig at the beginning of 2020, well we all know what happened. I did find a band, or actually they found me. And then Covid-19 happened. We are ready to roll when things start to open back up. I can't wait.

Over a year without playing a gig in front of people has me losing what little of my mind was left.

My prediction is that live music will return. Some bands and venues will not have survived this mess, new ones will emerge. It is inevitable. How exactly it will all shake out remains to be seen.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on the road between 1972 and 1977; played around 1,200 4-hour gigs during that period. The last time I played for an audience of strangers was in 1992. I still miss it, and still long to be up on stage behind my drums. For me the urge to perform will never go away.

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
Things have been changing for years..it was ever thus. I think live music will come back at least outdoors for the time being. Just have to wait and see what Mother Nature decides.

I'm very blessed to be able to play for fun and do whatever I want. I've been having fun playing drums during the past year and I'm looking forward to doing it with friends again.

Evdoggydog15

Reaction score
I feel like the studio world for drummers gets smaller by the year. Drummers need to be engineer/producer types at this point. That is if you want to be creative and contribute to original music. Popular music will continue to force studio drummers out. The pro's have adapted though, doing more programming, making loops, additive drumming but producers have so many more tools now to make you obsolete. The other world of drumming seems to be the cover youtube/instagram thing, where it's almost a spectacle of physicality. I do feel like the live music scene will always have a strong place for drummers. People want that energy and feel.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will get right back to where we were pretty quick , humanity tends to forget bad times pretty quickly . And I know the last year has been bad . But not so bad it changed that much .......

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here we have had 3 waves of shutdowns for entertainment venues along with very restricted tourism into the country upon which my town depends. The current shutdown could put so many venues out of business permanently that it may take a couple of years for any come-back. Musicians who play for a living have been severely hurt with little or no government aid and local sites selling instruments are crammed with desperate sale ads. It's depressing but there are some signs that certain venues may be allowed to open around July. We will see. I have played once this year and had limited gigs last year but am still hoping ......

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The future of music is artificial. Still, there will be a need for musicians but not as many (there is already less than it used to be). From drummer point of view, to work in studio you not only will have to play your tracks live, but also be super capable to lay the samples, humanize, quantize, groove your track etc in DAW and software. So multi tool skills will be in demand. From time to time there will be nice to go for a beer and listen to the cover band (playing probably for 100 bucks)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live steps away from a brew pub with a large outdoor seating area. From my vantage point, it's clear people are desperate to get out and see one another again... They're getting two or three times as many people as before the pandemic.

I predict that when when my town starts having "Music in the Park" events again, there will be 500 people where there used to be 100.

As far as venues go, it's said that the current owners will likely leave the business, but there will be new owners to take their place as long as a bar owner can still buy a can of Miller Lite for less than $1 and sell it for $5.

I went to a bar show recently (Steel Panther). The audience acted as if the pandemic never happened and the band played two shows on the same night. To see both shows, you paid for two $35 tickets.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Everything is open here (leaving the pros and cons of that for a different forum), and we've been slowly getting full band gigs. The singer and I play a bunch of duo stuff and people are hungry for live music. It'll start with the smaller venues, the restaurants and bars that survived this last year, then once the bigger bands can start putting together their tours, the mid level venues will start filling up, then the really big-name acts will be getting their tours started up again. People crave music and camaraderie.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Millions of Elvis fans can't be wrong

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We played a gig Saturday and people were throwing tip money at us. They were really happy to be out and about. Was it safe? Sure didn’t look like it to me. I stayed behind the front of the stage line during the break masked up, which I saw none of the audience masked up. Also, between my two bands, I have about 10 gigs booked now.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Music is freedom. Freedom and fear don't mix. get rid of the fear but I'm afraid it'll be a component from here on out.
I think we will get right back to where we were pretty quick
I'd like to know if a majority of people think that way

I'm afraid we'll be looking back at pictures, and at memories only. Of what was at one time.

No growth sit at home and collect your UBI.
is no growth.
I don't think it's funny,

Last edited: