Whats one of your favorite recorded cymbal sounds in a song?

onemat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On lots of Ringo/Beatle stuff, there is a wash I've always loved. YOu can hear it on "Come Together" , on parts of "Helter Skelter" and many tracks where the tune is more naked. Many of the tracks on the Anthology series have not been mixed down or over dubbed. The version of "I am The Walrus" with out all the extra stuff is a great example, not to mention Ringo's great groove and fills.
I also liked Bun E.'s drum and cymbal sounds heard briefly on "Low Life In High Heels". Lately with people using zillions of tracks and pro tools, lots of the natural sounds of drums and cymbals get lost. The recordings get overwhelming at times. I wish recording engineering would go in the other direction. Suddenly it seems 4 piece bands have more players than the Count Basie Orchestra!

Matt

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drumstyx7a said:
No doubt for me ....

Densmore's ride on Riders on The Storm with LA Woman next.

There's been others and I've lusted after some pretty great rides from the jazz side but anytime anyone mentions ride cymbals those two tunes come to mind and that's the sound I hear in my head .... okay Steve B, no comments here about that sound having a lot of reverb cuz there's nothing else up there!!! :p :lol:

Robb
Those are well recorded ride tracks Robb..no disputing that. In rock it's always nice to see it broken out like that. Chances are it's more about the mic than the ride but all cymbals are going to get slightly different results. Sounds like a Paiste of some sort to me...602?

gaebrel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Heres a Ride Cymbal in your face: Better than Ezra's 'Good'. Check it out!

edgeguy

Reaction score
I just got Ringo's HH cheap.

There is a chip but it is round and in 30 to 40 years hasn't turned into anything.
The chip is supper small.

The sound of the HH for me is too dark.

This is the Ringo sound.

I don't care.

15" HH with different weights.

Too dark for me.
First $130 gets em.

I will not sell anything that I think is wrong.
End of story.

edgeguy

Reaction score
Keith Jarrett live at "something".
The ching of the ride is religious.
Also best Acoustic Bass sound.
Some tube compression - have no clue.
The piano is sub par and better than most.
Which is an oxymoron.
Wish I was a fly on the wall.
You think you are there.

I don't know, I gotta look.
I will report back.

tao

Reaction score
Paul Motion's cymbals on his trio disc, I Have The Room Above Her, w/ Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano-Beuatiful! Also any Billy Higgins cymbal sounds with Charles Lloyd. Just a couple off the top of my head.

hepkat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Buckaroo" -- Buck Owens
"Son of Preacher Man" -- Dusty Springfield
"Born in the 50s" -- Police
"Saint Simon" -- Shins
"Ellen" -- Derailers

Reaction score
Pearts cymbals in Moving pictures gets my vote too. especially the intro to yyz. Its so eery but so musical!

TheCircus

Reaction score
Keb' Mo's song "a Letter For Tracy" features my favourite drum/cymbal sounds. Definitely worth checking out if you have not heard it.

9Lb Tongue

Off the top of my head I'd say Bonhams ride on "How many more times"

and Alex Van Halens hi hats on "Dirty Movies" from Fair Warning...

for metal, I love Dave Lombardos ride on "criminally insane" from REIGN IN BLOOD

gaebrel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Eric Clapton's 'Cocaine', w/ Jamie Oldaker on drums.

jojo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i've got the answer!! i heard a song on the radio yesterday, and it made me think of this thread. even on my crappy car speakers, the cymbals on this one sound sweeeet (as does the whole drum kit):

Bad Company..... "Ready for Love"

go check that one out.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pick withers " Makin Movies" Dire Straits. beautiful playing with beautiful sounding Cymbals.. Paiste's :)
I love the Cymbal sound on the "Tramps" "Disco Inferno".. Sizzling hats, bright Crashes.
Most of Abbas His had some great sounding Crashes.. listen to " The Name of the Game" :)

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
gezz said:
Pick withers " Makin Movies" Dire Straits. beautiful playing with beautiful sounding Cymbals.. Paiste's :)
I'll nominate much of Dire Straits' stuff; I'm surprised Pick Withers isn't mentioned more often as an amazing drummer with a real feel for emotion and subtlety in his drumming. He's definitely one of my lesser influences.

Latest posts