Whats one of your favorite recorded cymbal sounds in a song?

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm going to be a little facetious and say my cymbals in just about any song that I've recorded. I'm happy to say I don't have to search for the perfect cymbals for me since I found them already. Although I do really like the ride sound in "LA Woman" and "Undone (The Sweater Song)" by Weezer.

Cymbalist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had a gun to my head and had to choose just one (or two;)) it would beTony Williams on either Nefertiti w/ Miles or on "Of Course, Of Course w/ Chas Lloyd...Sam Rivers' Fuschia Swing Song is up there, too...

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
giggingdrummer said:
Steve Jordan's Ride in "Waitin' on the world to change"

Paiste Traditionals, more than likely.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Art Blakey on those old Blue Note recordings. Particularly his intro to "Night In Tunisia" on the 1962 live recordings box set. Now THAT was a cymbal sound to be reckoned with...

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
switchfootfreak said:
Im watching mash and i really like the ride in the theme
That's probably the theme from the later years, say 78 to about 81 or so? The one where it got more big band-y sounding with a big drum fill when the drums first come in.

I forgot about the ride from "Walk, Don't Run." I love that one too. Man, there are too many to choose but that's a good thing, since there will always be the "perfect" ride for a particular song but that same ride may not work in another.

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
A cymbal sound is a combination of the cymbal, the player, the stick and the way it's played and the studio/engineer. Having said that, the only two cymbals that have burned themselves into my memory banks are Jimmy Cobbs' from Miles' Kinda Blue album, and Elvin's from Coltranes' Equinox. Elvin's ride sound on that tune is as hypnotic as a cymbal can be.

jim

mailhotvintageman

Reaction score
All of Ringo's stuff...can't get any better than that. And mine too from the late 1960s to the early 1970s on our Love, Inc. Singles. My vintage "A's" just keep on sounding better...

Marc :lol:

switchfootfreak

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TheBeachBoy said:
switchfootfreak said:
Im watching mash and i really like the ride in the theme

That's probably the theme from the later years, say 78 to about 81 or so? The one where it got more big band-y sounding with a big drum fill when the drums first come in.

I forgot about the ride from "Walk, Don't Run." I love that one too. Man, there are too many to choose but that's a good thing, since there will always be the "perfect" ride for a particular song but that same ride may not work in another.
i think it was

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
"You're just a Memory" on the Stones Black and Blue has this beauty that hangs there all alone after one of the choruses and I swear you can hear the sustain dissapear if you close your eyes. Ah Charlie you have great taste.BennyK.

Latest posts