What's the best way to remove paint from an old snare drum

Mr TS

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have this old Ludwig downbeat snare that I bought a long time ago with the intention of restoring it. I got distracted for several years and now here I am looking at wondering why it sat so long...lol. What's the best/safest/cheapest way to remove paint? I removed all of the hardware and really wanna see what's underneath. I dated the snare to 1969. Anyone know what the finishes were for that year? Anyone know where I can get a new/old strainer. The one on this drum is kaput. The original was replaced with a p85 and there's holes drilled through the re-rings...I wanna fill those holes and find the correct strainer. I'll attach some pics shortly.
C884C7BA-7B45-4EDE-804C-1609075E0F2F.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool snare! I have used Citrustrip on many drum restores. It will cut thru paint, glue, etc. You tape up all the holes from the inside with painters tape (I'd remove the badge too, and try to save the grommet, or get a replacement). Put a thick layer and it sit a few hours, then use a plastic scraper. It should come right off. I had a nasty Rogers Luxor that was painted black, yellow and red layers. It was a disaster. It all came off and the virgin maple underneath was lovely and clean.
As for sanding, I'd go 150, then 220, then 400. Lightly as you don't want to dig into the veneer, but it depends on what hte outside wood looks like.

As for colors, I think I would stain the outside, depending on what wood it is. If mahogany, then I'd use Minwax red mahogany to make it look like the vintage wood finish. As for filling holes, I'd use wood filler but people use dowel plugs - way too much work for me! I'd get some furniture stain markers to try and match the filled holes as much as possible if they don't take stain well.

As for a replacement strainer, you can get a P80 piccolo throw new about $70 on Reverb, and it was me, I'd add a P32 butt plate (not sure what was on this drum, but probably was a P32).

I'd like to see post-stripping pics......good luck.

Mr TS

Reaction score
Cool snare! I have used Citrustrip on many drum restores. It will cut thru paint, glue, etc. You tape up all the holes from the inside with painters tape (I'd remove the badge too, and try to save the grommet, or get a replacement). Put a thick layer and it sit a few hours, then use a plastic scraper. It should come right off. I had a nasty Rogers Luxor that was painted black, yellow and red layers. It was a disaster. It all came off and the virgin maple underneath was lovely and clean.
As for sanding, I'd go 150, then 220, then 400. Lightly as you don't want to dig into the veneer, but it depends on what hte outside wood looks like.

As for colors, I think I would stain the outside, depending on what wood it is. If mahogany, then I'd use Minwax red mahogany to make it look like the vintage wood finish. As for filling holes, I'd use wood filler but people use dowel plugs - way too much work for me! I'd get some furniture stain markers to try and match the filled holes as much as possible if they don't take stain well.

As for a replacement strainer, you can get a P80 piccolo throw new about $70 on Reverb, and it was me, I'd add a P32 butt plate (not sure what was on this drum, but probably was a P32).

I'd like to see post-stripping pics......good luck.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I live in Canada and can’t get citristrip. I’ve looked everywhere. I’m definitely going to get a p-80 throw. I’m gonna see if long and McQuade can get one if not I see a few online. If it’s not mahogany then what wood wood it be?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably (out to in) maple/poplar/maple. I'd be surprised if it's maple/poplar/mahogany.

It appears Walmart has Citrustrip but I am not sure. I didn't even know they have them in Canada! Do you have a heat gun? That could work, too, although it's so much easier and faster to use a stripping chemical.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Walmart law is based on population. There is a minimum requirement. Seems like around here if you don't meet the minimum requirement, you get stuck with a Dollar General.

Mr TS

Reaction score
Probably (out to in) maple/poplar/maple. I'd be surprised if it's maple/poplar/mahogany.

It appears Walmart has Citrustrip but I am not sure. I didn't even know they have them in Canada! Do you have a heat gun? That could work, too, although it's so much easier and faster to use a stripping chemical.

I clicked the link and it says not available. I’m gonna go to Benjamin Moore and see what they have there. Unfortunately I don’t have a heat gun.

Mr TS

Reaction score
So, I’ve gotten almost all of the paint off and it’s definitely maple on the outside. The maple looks great! I’m not sure about the inner ply though as it’s much darker. I was able to get a strainer through L&M pretty fast and I already have the P32 butt plate. I’ll post some pics tomorrow of the shell. Now I gotta decide what to finish it with. I have to fill the holes and then drill the original ones. It should be good to go in the next couple of days.

Attachments

Mr TS

Reaction score
Alright, this is what she looks like without stain. Absolutely no pitting on the lugs. They shined up really nice. I’m thinking that I’m probably going to stain it. I just wanted to see what it would look like all dressed up:)

Attachments

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I clicked the link and it says not available. I’m gonna go to Benjamin Moore and see what they have there. Unfortunately I don’t have a heat gun.
Be careful with the heat gun. I had Tom burst into flames. Fortunately a happy ending

Latest posts