header.nohb.html

What's the Biggest Drum Product Whiff of the Decade?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
In 2012, Molecules Drum Company took a big swing by introducing its bulbous drums at NAMM. Surely, it was something its makers knew would have limited or "exclusive" appeal, but based on the fact it got so little attention, did these succeed on any level?

BTW: 3-piece kit was $1,999.

Molecules.png

There are a small collection of Molecules drums for sale ... https://reverb.com/item/44708147-molecules-drums#:~:text=MOLECULES drums have great tone,and focused (2ply heads).

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Here's the scoop from NAMM 2012 from Mikesgig.com:

Molecules Drum Company Debuts It’s New Shape at NAMM 2012​

Just When We Thought That “Drums are Drums”​

These drums are totally cool and they sound great. Acrylics and other materials have been used before to manufacture drums, but this is the first drum line that I’ve seen using a molding process to create a non-standard drum shape. The use of tuned ports combined with the rounded shape delivers a tight and focused sound unlike that of conventional wood construction. Available in clear as well as solid colors, Molecules gives musicians another choice when building their percussion arsenal.

MOLECULES’ unique shape produces a full bodied sound with great projection and lots of “low end” frequencies. “If you want big bottom, MOLECULES got em” explains inventor Rob Lerner.

Not yet available in stores, MOLECULES have caught the eye and ear of numerous celebrity drummers (see youtube videos of the 2010 BET Awards and 2009 Guitar Center Drum-off). Industry veterans and sound engineers are amazed and describe the sound as pre compressed and EQ-ed. Whether on stage or in the studio, MOLECULES will elevate any performance. The drums are made of light weight Acrylic and fit in standard hard cases. Whether on stage or in the studio, MOLECULES will elevate any performance. The drum set has evolved.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That one is hard to beat. However, I think the Ludwig Signet was another dud. The limited finishes were not my taste and the idea of having to assemble everything myself had absolutely no appeal. I think they were fine drums in terms of sound, but the whole "assemble it yourself" theme seemed to miss the mark with many drummers.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got to admit that I just don't get Molecules. Drums are a narrow market to begin with, acrylic material an even narrower slice, and the non-traditional/ 'unique' shape narrowing the market even further by essentially placing them in a novelty category. I find it stupefying that somebody actually thought enough of these drums to see a 'future' (i.e., financial success), and take a big roll of the dice and ultimately produce the product.
Bless the dreamers of the world!

Let's don't forget North and Stacatto drums either... The kit(s) ya need when microphones alone don't get the job done.

1663600755224.png
1663600615704.png

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Staccato is much older than a decade.

DWs 23 inch bass...though perhaps it was a one off (does anyone know of others...seen others?).

How long ago did Zildjian try and see frying pans?

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score

DWs 23 inch bass...though perhaps it was a one off (does anyone know of others...seen others?).

Frying pans? I missed that one!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some company had a wood shelled drum pack similar to North's at the last Chicago show I went to in 2018[?]. Ugly drums.

digovii

Reaction score

Josh Freese regularly uses a DW 23" bass drum and I believe they have new kits on Reverb right now with them. That said, I dont think the market is very big for them lol.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 23'' is older than a decade (late 90's, Neil) and is a regular occurance.

I was tempted to get this Jazz series set with a 23'' kick, but with so few heads to choose from I didn;t went on with it.

1663606496458.png

I still want to find those frying pans, just for the heck of it.

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2012, Molecules Drum Company took a big swing by introducing its bulbous drums at NAMM. Surely, it was something its makers knew would have limited or "exclusive" appeal, but based on the fact it got so little attention, did these succeed on any level?

View attachment 583420

View attachment 583420

There are a small collection of Molecules drums for sale ... https://reverb.com/item/44708147-molecules-drums#:~:text=MOLECULES drums have great tone,and focused (2ply heads).
This didn't do well with this either!
1663608234348.png

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember the Tama Omnitune system coming out and fading out pretty quickly. Also, DW made the moon mic, which was their version of the Yamaha Sub-kick. Pretty sure that didn't pan out.

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
Josh Freese regularly uses a DW 23" bass drum and I believe they have new kits on Reverb right now with them. That said, I dont think the market is very big for them lol.
I have a 14x23 because I got it on sale as an Orphan drum. Drum sounds great, and Remo makes all of their drumheads in that size.
I can get it shipped to my shop within a couple days and have never had a problem.
Price is less then the cost of my 26" kick head.
I also own 3 15" floor toms which this forum seems quite keen on these days after years of vocal disapproval.

Never done a full tour with that kit. I keep extra heads if everything anyways if I ever had to.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda liked the Zildjian Frying Pan from the video @Hop posted. It takes all sorts. Big difference is that Zildjian is established and can afford to do one-off products without suffering if they don't catch on, whereas Molecules had to go all-in on something that was always at high risk for failure. Regardless, I'm happy that companies take chances.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got to admit that I just don't get Molecules. Drums are a narrow market to begin with, acrylic material an even narrower slice, and the non-traditional/ 'unique' shape narrowing the market even further by essentially placing them in a novelty category. I find it stupefying that somebody actually thought enough of these drums to see a 'future' (i.e., financial success), and take a big roll of the dice and ultimately produce the product.
Bless the dreamers of the world!

Let's don't forget North and Stacatto drums either... The kit(s) ya need when microphones alone don't get the job done.

View attachment 583422 View attachment 583421
To be fair North’s were developed for absolute maximum projection at a time when sound reinforcement was in its infancy, and it worked. Even with a hydraulic head and remo muffl my North bass drum is way louder than any other I own