header.nohb.html

What's the Biggest Drum Product Whiff of the Decade?

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl E-ProLive was not a big success for Pearl . Dealers hated it and some people at Pearl must have been let go after this fiasco .
BF2B8AFA-74B9-4444-A3AB-3D2E075F6CD7.jpeg

digovii

Reaction score
Pearl E-ProLive was not a big success for Pearl . Dealers hated it and some people at Pearl must have been let go after this fiasco . View attachment 583508
We had one at the shop I worked at for almost 5 years before we basically gave it away to someone. Absolutely no one wanted these and I am sure someone got fired for this lol

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you want to see some odd ball stuff hit a summer NAMM show, it's much less expensive to rent the space and you can test out your industry changing ideas before deciding to go all in and book the winter show.... this was the 2018 show in Nashville... I don't know if these guys made it to the big show.

20180629_101634.jpg

20180629_101652.jpg

Not even sure that I remember what these did, other than add extra weight to the drum. Notice there is a lug at every rod so whats the big metal bridge work do again?

20180629_104355.jpg

20180629_104300.jpg

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Make fun of the frying pan all you want but something similar sounds pretty burnin here

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
In 2012, Molecules Drum Company took a big swing by introducing its bulbous drums at NAMM. Surely, it was something its makers knew would have limited or "exclusive" appeal, but based on the fact it got so little attention, did these succeed on any level?

BTW: 3-piece kit was $1,999.

View attachment 583420

There are a small collection of Molecules drums for sale ... https://reverb.com/item/44708147-molecules-drums#:~:text=MOLECULES drums have great tone,and focused (2ply heads).
I'm wondering how the sound is/was. Guessing must not have been great

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the scoop from NAMM 2012 from Mikesgig.com:

Molecules Drum Company Debuts It’s New Shape at NAMM 2012​

Just When We Thought That “Drums are Drums”​

These drums are totally cool and they sound great. Acrylics and other materials have been used before to manufacture drums, but this is the first drum line that I’ve seen using a molding process to create a non-standard drum shape. The use of tuned ports combined with the rounded shape delivers a tight and focused sound unlike that of conventional wood construction. Available in clear as well as solid colors, Molecules gives musicians another choice when building their percussion arsenal.

MOLECULES’ unique shape produces a full bodied sound with great projection and lots of “low end” frequencies. “If you want big bottom, MOLECULES got em” explains inventor Rob Lerner.

Not yet available in stores, MOLECULES have caught the eye and ear of numerous celebrity drummers (see youtube videos of the 2010 BET Awards and 2009 Guitar Center Drum-off). Industry veterans and sound engineers are amazed and describe the sound as pre compressed and EQ-ed. Whether on stage or in the studio, MOLECULES will elevate any performance. The drums are made of light weight Acrylic and fit in standard hard cases. Whether on stage or in the studio, MOLECULES will elevate any performance. The drum set has evolved.

Yea, the sound not for me

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say that their poor sales had Anything to do with their unpopularity

I think though that their sound is
Shall we say…..more selective

Attachments

• 23A3939F-C4AE-4DB4-91AC-1346AEC47E38.png
    23A3939F-C4AE-4DB4-91AC-1346AEC47E38.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 88672337-414B-4060-B84F-121D65107632.png
    88672337-414B-4060-B84F-121D65107632.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 33

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In 2012, Molecules Drum Company took a big swing by introducing its bulbous drums at NAMM. Surely, it was something its makers knew would have limited or "exclusive" appeal, but based on the fact it got so little attention, did these succeed on any level?

View attachment 583420

There are a small collection of Molecules drums for sale ... https://reverb.com/item/44708147-molecules-drums#:~:text=MOLECULES drums have great tone,and focused (2ply heads).
Zickos made some prototype drums in the 70's that looked something like this.
I once had a chance to buy two toms that looked like upside down damejeannes, probably some kind of training timpani.
Not the "Supersonic" series, even if they're cool looking.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say that their poor sales had Anything to do with their unpopularity

I think though that their sound is
Shall we say…..more selective
How do you reckon poor sales without the sales data?

Those where released in the US and very limited only as with all the Concept series models.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 583420

These look like the drums on every Nickelodeon cartoon from the '90s.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mapex Janus Transmission pedal - another flop worth mentioning . The transition between hihats and slave pedal was really difficult and not smooth at all . It was a good try by Mapex but not a great seller .
A07BFAA9-4974-4CCF-9F43-7ADC810340F8.jpeg

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mapex Janus Transmission pedal - another flop worth mentioning . The transition between hihats and slave pedal was really difficult and not smooth at all . It was a good try by Mapex but not a great seller . View attachment 583579

I belive there is still one available at a music shop near me. It’s been sitting there for 7-8 years at least.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mapex Janus Transmission pedal - another flop worth mentioning . The transition between hihats and slave pedal was really difficult and not smooth at all . It was a good try by Mapex but not a great seller . View attachment 583579
The Janus was HORRIBLE. Not functional out of the box! It was stiff, would jam up, and simply a poor execution of what might have been a viable concept. You could never rely on it on the fly, so to speak.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Mapex, I always thought this was a swing and a miss:
Mapex Black Panther Design Lab Kits - MAATS Tom Mount Feature Overview with Russ Miller - YouTube

I even made fun of it in this thread:
*NEW* MAPEX VERSATUS KITS | [DFO] Drum Forum

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone remember the Grestch "inside out" snare drums from a few years back? The wrap was on the inside of the shell while the silver sealer was the exterior finish. Even the paper tag was on the outside. It might not be fair to mention them in this thread since I think they were intended to be a limited edition novelty item, but IMO it was a goofy idea.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speaking of Mapex, I always thought this was a swing and a miss:
Mapex Black Panther Design Lab Kits - MAATS Tom Mount Feature Overview with Russ Miller - YouTube

I even made fun of it in this thread:
*NEW* MAPEX VERSATUS KITS | [DFO] Drum Forum
I have to admit I was seceptical but I listend to the kit up close and through the video’s, and it is indeed amazing.

Maybe the mounts are not for everyone, but the complete design works tremendous.

If it was priced just a tad lower I would buy one (I almost did but unfortunately it looked to be a scammer).