header.nohb.html

What's the Biggest Drum Product Whiff of the Decade?

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How do you reckon poor sales without the sales data?

Those where released in the US and very limited only as with all the Concept series models.
It was a reference to spinal tap
Smaller audience
Inside joke

I can only assume that if they sold like hotcakes they would’ve turned out more but who knows right?

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1663720969138.png

The Remo Mondo Djembe drum set . . .everything you really never needed

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 80s someone was selling a trashcan with jingles and sizzles. Saw an ad in MD. I bought one. It was awful.
There was also the Sabian VFX series. I have and still use the 14" flat ride and had the larger (19) ride as well. Crashes were awful and the hats were superheavy but... wasn't the V-wave part of that. I had one...

most of these whiffs weren't in the last 10 years. The above weren't.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sab
In the 80s someone was selling a trashcan with jingles and sizzles. Saw an ad in MD. I bought one. It was awful.
There was also the Sabian VFX series. I have and still use the 14" flat ride and had the larger (19) ride as well. Crashes were awful and the hats were superheavy but... wasn't the V-wave part of that. I had one...

most of these whiffs weren't in the last 10 years. The above weren't.

Sabian’s answer to Zildjian’s Re-Mix series made with the drum’n’bass/electro drummer in mind.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah, they did that one wrong IMO. The beaters should be rigidly coupled to eacher other, and 85% of the time you should just be playing the toe. With the spring / inertia cancelling it could actually be kinda swift. Especially if get the cam at the right point in the train.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone remember the Grestch "inside out" snare drums from a few years back? The wrap was on the inside of the shell while the silver sealer was the exterior finish. Even the paper tag was on the outside. It might not be fair to mention them in this thread since I think they were intended to be a limited edition novelty item, but IMO it was a goofy idea.
I remember scratching my head over that one!

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
In 2012, Molecules Drum Company took a big swing by introducing its bulbous drums at NAMM. Surely, it was something its makers knew would have limited or "exclusive" appeal, but based on the fact it got so little attention, did these succeed on any level?

BTW: 3-piece kit was $1,999.

View attachment 583420

There are a small collection of Molecules drums for sale ... https://reverb.com/item/44708147-molecules-drums#:~:text=MOLECULES drums have great tone,and focused (2ply heads).

Everything old is new again? I think these were from California (where else?) in the 1960's (when else?). Maybe you need the lighted version of the Molecules?

Attachments

• Early_Acrylic_1.JPG
    Early_Acrylic_1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Early_Acrylic_2.JPG
    Early_Acrylic_2.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Early_Acrylic_3.JPG
    Early_Acrylic_3.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Early_Acrylic_4.JPG
    Early_Acrylic_4.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Early_Acrylic_5.JPG
    Early_Acrylic_5.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Molecules_Lighted_Drums.jpg
    Molecules_Lighted_Drums.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 19

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually buy these Sabian FRX cymbals?
I´m genuinely curious. Trying to tone down heavy hitters with thin cymbals with holes in them doesn´t seem such a great idea to me but what do I know...

1663940640809.png

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I´m genuinely curious. Trying to tone down heavy hitters with thin cymbals with holes in them doesn´t seem such a great idea to me but what do I know...

View attachment 584088

I think these have seen some traction in churches, where harsh high frequencies, challenging acoustics, and mic bleed is a real problem

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think these have seen some traction in churches, where harsh high frequencies, challenging acoustics, and mic bleed is a real problem

I think Sabian not being able to price them competitively kept many people away. I have never seen them at a decent price.

Dan

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can think of something in the past decade. I don't think it's been mentioned yet. I'm not going to say and will wait to see if anyone mentions it.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 584088
I own a set,but I got them at a great discount from GC.
Nice cymbals ,but $$$$$