Whats the cheapest you've ever snagged an Acrolite?

poco rit.

Reaction score
I bought a whole pile of trap cases and a rolling hardware case off of this young woman on Craigslist for $50. It all belonged to her husbands Father who had passed and he told her to get rid of it.

When I showed up to pick it up she said that she had been inundated with replies. I gave her the $50, loaded 7 or 8 cases and went on my way.

inside was a Dayton era Rogers kit, a pile of Zildjian cymbals, and Acrolite , a pack of half smoked marlboro an open bottle of Fleishmans and an envelope with $25 in cash.

I believe I win.
Man you were definitley in the right place at the right time! It sounds like the previous owner had a couple smokes with some Fleishmans and then decided to give up drums entirely.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was $85. It had loctite blue on the tension rods, which I thought I didn't want until I saw how well the drum stayed in tune. For a cheap drum I don't mind the loctite. Guess it wouldn't matter for an expensive drum either, just that it seems wrong.

poco rit.

Reaction score
I got my 1966 Acrolite for $125 about 15-16 years ago. I’m not sure if the hoops are original or not. It’s my least used snare but it’s a month away from my birthdate which is one reason I’ve kept it

View attachment 460551
Very nice specimen. Speaking of hoops, do you/anyone know if the 60s stock hoops would have been 1.6mm or 2.3mm?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let us disregard the lucky people who got one for free by happenstance. Let us focus on just Acros that you have had to buy with $$$.

My brother plays violin but has a starter drum kit. I wanna try to get him to play more by getting him an Acro. Finding a cheap Acrolite probably happens more often with the vintage one. But let me hear about any year, any story about a cheap Acro find, so that it will give me hope.
Th only one I own I got for $60 w case. Its in nice shape too. Blue and Olive badge

poco rit.

Reaction score
I think it was $85. It had loctite blue on the tension rods, which I thought I didn't want until I saw how well the drum stayed in tune. For a cheap drum I don't mind the loctite. Guess it wouldn't matter for an expensive drum either, just that it seems wrong.
Im an abysmal handy man, so i had to look up loctite blue. So someone glued the tension rods in place??

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no... Route 30..
where I've been all my life)
Westmoreland Co.
Jeannette. Between Irwin and Greensburg.
Right on 30.
Westmoreland you know? The good county ; )
I don't know why I typed 22, I know that it is Rt. 30 that runs through Jeanette. Of course it is 22/30 closer to my home. ;)

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
no... Route 30..
where I've been all my life)
Westmoreland Co.
Jeannette. Between Irwin and Greensburg.
Right on 30.
Westmoreland you know? The good county ; )
I grew up in Greensburg (well, technically, Unity Township). Used to shop at Professional Music and Ron Willochell's Discount Music (my uncle used to work there, a looooong time ago)

Reactions: JDA

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. And this guy appears to be a drummer. It looks like hes got a drum dial. Maybe he was being saintly and paying it forward? Or maybe their SO posted it for sale.. In any case, great score.
Ah, I see what you're saying, but no, the "after" pic was mine. It was taken right after I'd cleaned the drum up. That said, the drum was in surprisingly good condition when I arrived. It was a from a local (recently defunct) music school, and the woman I purchased from said that several had called about it, but for some reason, I got there first. She was very nice, and although it was missing heads and had toasted snare wires, the shell, hoops, lugs and strainer were in remarkably good shape. All I had to do was supply a minimal amount of elbow grease, decent heads and wires. I doubt I'll get that lucky again.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1970 Acrolite for $110 in June 2019, complete, needed heads and snare wires. But even better, a 1967 LM400 for $30 last month, just needed a batter hoop, heads, strainer, and wires.

beto_drummer

Reaction score
Wooow!!! what a deals did you get!!!!
I live in Argentina and... those prices are nearly imposible to believe !!!!
For example I just looked up some acrolites, USED, only the snare drum... no case, no drumsticks, no nothing. Perhaps if you are lucky, it is equiped with good drumheads.
And prices are between 300 and little more that 400 DOLLARS!!!!!!... yes yes... USED!
:oops: :blink:

poco rit.

Reaction score
Wooow!!! what a deals did you get!!!!
I live in Argentina and... those prices are nearly imposible to believe !!!!
For example I just looked up some acrolites, USED, only the snare drum... no case, no drumsticks, no nothing. Perhaps if you are lucky, it is equiped with good drumheads.
And prices are between 300 and little more that 400 DOLLARS!!!!!!... yes yes... USED!
:oops: :blink:
Keep in mind that getting an Acro for some of these prices is out of the norm, and was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Id say that getting one for anything under $100 is a lucky find.

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 2000,-2001, I found a KB Acro in a MusicGoRound for $75. Few scratches but nothing major. I didn't know as much as I do now about vintage drums so had no idea about its reputation. But I hit it a couple times and loved the sound, so I got it. I've used several snares over the years, and two years ago replaced the original strainer with an Inde strainer, which is smooth as silk. It's back in rotation now, and I rehearsed with it tonight.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im an abysmal handy man, so i had to look up loctite blue. So someone glued the tension rods in place??
They sure did.

Blue loctite doesn’t fully lock the thread but the red kind does. The rods will turn but they put up a lot of resistance.

I had heard of drummers doing this but that acro was the only drum I found where someone had done it.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seven or eight years ago $125 Acrolites were not uncommon. Today I think that the going price for a used Acrolite is closer to $200 on average.

I'm thinking that down the road I'd like to pick up a new 6.5" deep Acrolite with tube lugs. I'd put a silver glitter paint job on it, and call it a "Sparkle Phonic".

It wouldn't be cheap, but it would be cool.

1600320585416.png