What's The Deal With Sonor Teardrop Lugs?

oneeyedcat

Reaction score
Hi, anybody know how to keep the nut inside the lug from moving around? I'm changing heads on a teardrop kit and having a devil of a time getting things to line up. Any and all help appreciated.

Rick

barryabko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are the internal nuts original? Some people swapped them out so they could use standard tension rods instead of slotted ones.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I remember right, there were little pieces of foam that kept the nuts in place. They fit in the little rectangular shaped cavity that the nut slides into. If those are missing I could see where that would be a problem. Getting everything lined up on those IS kind of tricky no matter what. Those lugs and the hoops with their round holes only slightly larger than the tension rods make it more difficult.

oneeyedcat

Reaction score
Don't know if the nuts are original but the tension rods are slotted. The T-rods are also original and it's on the BD that I'm stuck.

Rick

kluger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, the little pieces of foam disengrate. I use small chunks of a packing peanut. Put in the nut, pack in a little foam.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
ARGuy said:
If I remember right, there were little pieces of foam that kept the nuts in place. They fit in the little rectangular shaped cavity that the nut slides into. If those are missing I could see where that would be a problem. Getting everything lined up on those IS kind of tricky no matter what. Those lugs and the hoops with their round holes only slightly larger than the tension rods make it more difficult.
Yep, I remember the little tiny foam rubber doobies on my old teardrop kits. The old Trixons had them, too. Over the years, the foam rubber would dry out and disintegrate. But you can snip some little pieces of foam rubber and replace them easily. They keep the nut lined up with the tension rod.

On my old teardrop kits, I occasionally had trouble lining up the nuts when I was putting on a new head. I used to turn the drum sideways and give it a mild knock, which would move the nut back into place. Another way to go is to use a very thin rod or a wire and stick it down into the lug until you can catch the nut and move it into place.

Kind of a hassle, but those were beautiful lugs, and the tension always held tight. They had such a cool Art Deco look. Interesting that Sonor is resurrecting them, and I'm sure they've made some improvements.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I also loved the slotted tension rods and the slotted drum keys! I collected a bunch of those keys--the old black rubber-coated ones. I was nuts about Sonor back in those days. They were so different from American drums, and they sounded so good.

When they "beefed up" their drums in the 80's and subsequent years, I lost interest. They just got too heavy and over-engineered for my taste.

oneeyedcat

Reaction score
Yup! Repacking the lug seems to be working. Thanks to all! Here is a pic of the kit.

rose2.JPG

Thanks again for the help,

Rick

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
oneeyedcat said:
Yup! Repacking the lug seems to be working. Thanks to all! Here is a pic of the kit.

rose2.JPG

Thanks again for the help,

Rick
I had that same kit (but with two mounted toms) back in the 70's, and I used them on the road for years. They held up beautifully. Don't be foolish like me and sell them!

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Awesome kit there.

I'm on tour in Europe right now and snagged a Rosewood Champion snare (same 6-ply shell and badge as the later Teardrops, probably like what you've got there, but with the later Phonic type lugs) and am totally loving it. It took a while to get the head really settled in, but sounds great now that it is.

Have dreamed about a rosewood teardrop kit for years, but guess I might just have to switch over to looking for a rosewood Champion to match my snare now. :)

zipper_j_jeters_III

Reaction score
Remove each lug from the shell.
Clean out the old foam insert packs from the slot containing the hex nut.
Remove the hex nut and clean it thoroughly.
Repack the slot using your choice of material - felt, etc...
Then insert a tension rod and thread it into the hex nut.
Check for lateral sliding motion of the hex nut.
If any movement detected, remove the rod, and repeat the process above with rod inserted.
You might have to to compensate using your own judgement as to how much packing to insert and where best to apply it.
When the rod is aligned straight with no movement, reattach the lug(s) to the shell.
A time consuming process, but will save time in the future as you will face no rod/lug alignment issues.
(Some Sonor model lugs contained an elongated threaded tab rather than a hex nut. I've found that generally speaking these tabs fill up most of the slot and align easier without the problems caused from the threaded hex nuts. I would also like to add that on occasion a burred hex nut threading will have to be corrected using a 1/4-20" tap prior to reinserting and packing if a tension rod won't freely thread in to it.)

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
Follow the advice from above repeat and rinse. I used to collect these & it's one of the idiosyncrasies of these lil Buggers. Nice rosewood they are pretty. Good luck. I have some extra parts if needed . . . They need to go

psalty

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The long way is to remove every lug and repack it, as everyone has pointed out.

The easy way is to apply an earth magnet to the outer edge of the lug. You'll hear a distinct click as the nut is pulled back into position, and then the rod will thread in, easy peasy.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
kluger said:
Yes, the little pieces of foam disengrate.
They sure do! My Phonic kit arrived fully disassembled and there was an orange sawdust- like material coating most of the hardware. Happily for me everything cleaned up well and went back together without issue.