What's the diff between Gretsch bearing edges?

greegor

Reaction score
I've been thinking about having my 2000-ish Gretsch Renowns bearing edges re-cut. Trouble is, I'm not sure how they're currently cut (I can provide a better pic), or how I'd want them re-shaped. The set is a pewter badge (see pic), my understanding is they're either prototypes for the Taiwanese assembler or only a few hundred made. Anyways, they sound like timpani with sustain for hours and I'd like a more focused/tight sound. I've messed with various dampening and heads, haven't swapped hoops yet (but maybe I should).

But I thought a discussion of what different bearing edges sound like would be helpful. So, what sounds do the different angles (30 vs 45, etc.) and styles (roundover vs sharp) of cuts produce? Here are some pics to start with.

Attachments

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Die casts will help focus the sound. Maybe borrow a pair from a friend/someone, and see how that alone affects the sound. If still not enough, then you could go to a more vintage type, round over edge style, that'll definitely help focus the sound. As far as 45 with a round over, vs 30 with a round over, just depends on how much you want to "focus" the sound. I like both, each has its own vibe. Ultimately, the pro who'll do the work will be the best source for advice. You near a good pro?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the die cast hoops or even 2.3mm stick savers.

They really tightened up my old MIJ kit that came with lightweight triple flange hoops. I liked it at first, but then it started feeling a bit to focused and tight with no resonance, so I tried one stick saver on the bottom and put the lightweight triple flange up top and that opened up the sound some.

I'm not sure what hoops are on your kit, but it might be a cheaper way of getting a more focused sound than new edges.

As far as edges, the round over is for warmth and a more vintage sound while the 45° is for attack, volume and resonance which is more of an modern sound.

greegor

Reaction score
+1 on the die cast hoops or even 2.3mm stick savers.

They really tightened up my old MIJ kit that came with lightweight triple flange hoops. I liked it at first, but then it started feeling a bit to focused and tight with no resonance, so I tried one stick saver on the bottom and put the lightweight triple flange up top and that opened up the sound some.

I'm not sure what hoops are on your kit, but it might be a cheaper way of getting a more focused sound than new edges.

As far as edges, the round over is for warmth and a more vintage sound while the 45° is for attack, volume and resonance which is more of an modern sound.
Good info, thanks for that! They came with standard triple-flanged, so yeah I'm thinking you're right about trying hoops first.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first Gretsch Renown of the Taiwan era released, were 16 (sometimes 15" and 18"..) x 18" Bass. 12 tom and 14 floor snare in Red like yours.

can I see a better pictures of the badge and set thanks

greegor

Reaction score
The first Gretsch Renown of the Taiwan era released, were 16 (sometimes 15" and 18"..) x 18" Bass. 12 tom and 14 floor snare in Red like yours.

can I see a better pictures of the badge and set thanks
22x18, 12, 13, 16 and matching 14x5.5
Like the set and love the finish. Either going to pour some money in on hoops or edges, or sell it.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either going to pour some money in on hoops or edges, or sell it.
here's what you could do; you wanna get the ring out? Have you tried Pinstripes and head things..
Yea they look nice early Renowns..

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Die-cats hoops might be all you need, and it's non-permanent. A bit of an investment though.
Later Renowns came with them from the factory? Maybe there's someone out there that wants to swap??

greegor

Reaction score
here's what you could do; you wanna get the ring out? Have you tried Pinstripes and head things..
Yea they look nice early Renowns..
haven't tried Pinstripes, but definitely worth a cheaper idea. Thx!

greegor

Reaction score
Die-cats hoops might be all you need, and it's non-permanent. A bit of an investment though.
Later Renowns came with them from the factory? Maybe there's someone out there that wants to swap??
Yes, that's a good idea. No cost except for shipping. Thx!

greegor

Reaction score
YOu'd probably have to add quite a bit since triple flange hoops are much cheaper than die-cast.
True point. Got to thinking anyone with die cast or 302's probably won't want triple-flanges anyways. But, who knows, still worth a try.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heads are the cheapest way out ... don't use moongel except in hair and on toe nails

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Heads would work work, but a pack of Moon Gel or similar substances will run a lot less than a set of new heads, and they sure as heck won't promote resonance or projection.

greegor

Reaction score
Heads would work work, but a pack of Moon Gel or similar substances will run a lot less than a set of new heads, and they sure as heck won't promote resonance or projection.
Yep, definitely cheaper but I have to agree with JDA, I don't like moon gel. I use a bit of gaff tape as it doesn't leave spooge or discolor the head. Besides, I keep playing with them because they're fun to squish, and I end up with a ball of snot. I know, childish :)

I know how to get the ring out, I've tried a few head combos, o-ring dampeners, cotton balls, etc., but haven't achieved the sound I'm looking for, which is a totally subjective thing. I'm really looking to reshape the overall sound of this set so I don't have to mess with a bunch of corrective measures and can stay in love with it for it's own merits.