What's the Most Underrated 70s Rock Band -- American

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at their wiki page and they've had some interesting lineups thru the years, including Billy Sheehan!
Evidently they're still a group! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nektar
They've actually gone the Yes route recently. There is a group in Europe that has no original members, but has a keyboardist that was with the group for years in addition to the original guitarist's son, who is playing drums. They released an album and are touring in Europe.

Then back in the US, the original bassist and drummer have put together another version of the band which includes a former guitarist and bassist. They are writing and recording and expect an album out in July and will be doing some shows in the states, including ProgStock in October.

Billy Sheehan recorded one of the last albums with the original guitarist, Roye. Billy Sherwood also played bass on that and produced.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
How about The Sons of Champlin? Though Bill Champlin was popular with other bands, his namesake band never really made it out of San Francisco and Mill Valley.

This really starts cooking at around 6:00:

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Big Star would probably be at the top of the heap as far as unheralded/underrated, but I'd have to put The Raspberries right up there too. They did have one Top 10 hit, but they're barely an afterthought today.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Shooting Star, debut album in 1979 so just made it
IIRC, I saw Shooting Star in Portland OR at the Paramount Theater in 1979 or 1980 as part of KGON radio's appropriately titled "Catch a Shooting Star" (or was it "Rising Star"?) series for 92 cents. KGON's frequency was 92.3 so tickets were 92.3 cents, rounded to the nearest cent. Or maybe it was a $1.92. Definitely inexpensive.

Last edited:

blue-onyx

Reaction score
Crack the Sky

they were based in Baltimore/Washington area and had a big following in those parts

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Captain Beyond immediately comes to mind.
Bobby Caldwell, drums.

Happy The Man 1977
Wild adventurous odd-time prog. Mindboggling.

I'd love to include MAGMA except they're not American.
Certainly one of the most underrated bands of the 1970s (or any decade)
Christian Vander, Drums

The only album from San Francisco's Copperhead is among my 70s favorites and so underrated, IMO
John Cipollina, Guitar

My band opened for Copperhead in 1971, at the Lion's Share in San Anselmo,Ca.
We were second on the bill following The Charles Ford Blue Band, a young Robin Ford and his brothers.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My band opened for Copperhead in 1971, at the Lion's Share in San Anselmo,Ca.
We were second on the bill following The Charles Ford Blue Band, a young Robin Ford and his brothers.
Wowee, that's very cool!
I saw Copperhead play a gig at the national guard armory in Modesto around the same time (shortly after their album dropped) I was still in HS and hadn't started drumming yet. In fact it was one of my first concerts.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of Angel... there first few albums I thought were great and wore out the albums/8-tracks...
But I thought they suffered from some really bad management (certainly like a lot of other bands here I'm sure).

Angel: Angel

Angel: Helluva Band

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
JGB with Ron is a good call, but the Dead were at there best in the 70s IMHO; went south quick after 80; but that's when the cash rolled in

Tanabata

Reaction score
JGB with Ron is a good call, but the Dead were at there best in the 70s IMHO; went south quick after 80; but that's when the cash rolled in
I have to admit that I like all the versions of JGB, some more than others, the era Ron Tutt, and Ron with Legion of Mary are fantastic, but I also love the 1980 band with young Johnny de Fonseca, and the later band with David Kemper. Also, every time Bill Kreutzmann came out with them too.

I love the Dead in general, but yeah, the 70's were golden, but they're not underrated, I hope.

I think Johnny was only about 21 here...... died shortly after in a car accident, very talented young cat.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Malo!
If you like Santana like rock with a latin flair you will like Malo. Same family!
Malo was Carlos Santana's brothers (Jorge Santana) band. They started in the early 70's and are great.
Very very underrated! This was the only mainstream radio hit I think they had but their library of songs is much bigger.
This one is soft but they have some fast complex songs using all types of percussion & brass:

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
my favorite band and favorite drummer of all time - little feat and richie hayward.

Latest posts