What's the Piccolo Snare Holy Grail?

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny how we take in music in random ways... Recently while shopping I've noticed a lot of songs with cranked up high pitched snares..piccolos I'm assuming... While these aren't my home base, I really love 4x14's..truly believe they're a magical size for snares... Having said this...I wonder for those who LOVE Piccolo Snares, what is "THE" drum or drums that define this world???

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Noble Cooley 3.75x14 SS has long been my favorite piccolo snare sound. I think that’s one reason people love the 4” Summit snares so much, that’s the kind of sound people are looking for instead of something chintzy like those 3x13 Pearl piccolos you used to see everywhere because they were cheap.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they handed one out to piccolos.

5X12 wood shell. like the depth. Diameter bringing the pitch up
More an Alto. Possibly soprano. Mezzo-soprano.

• Soprano.
  • Mezzo-Soprano. ...
  • Alto. ...
  • Tenor. ...
  • Baritone. ...
  • Bass.
I don't have a lot of time for shallow drums; I'd rather tinker in the diameter and keep the depth.
An 8X12 tom tom I converted to snare felt really right to me

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's been argued here in the past as to what size constitutes a true "piccolo" snare drum. If 14" is acceptable, then I would concur that the N&C 3.75x14 SS ("Phil Collins snare") is right there at the top. The 3.5x14 Pearl Free Floating brass or maple snare is also up there, along with older Yamaha 3.5x14 brass piccolos. For 13" snares, my choice would be a 3x13" Ludwig Classic Maple. I really like the sound of DW's carbon fiber Pi snare, but that's probably too new to qualify for the "Holy Grail" category.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
Imho the piccolo grail is a Gretsch 4×14.
Personally I like the Slingerland 4×14 with stick chopper hoops. I recently purchased a 4×14 decibel custom built to my specs. (See post in recent purchases thread) The drum is very sensitive and versatile.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imho the piccolo grail is a Gretsch 4×14.
Personally I like the Slingerland 4×14 with stick chopper hoops. I recently purchased a 4×14 decibel custom built to my specs. (See post in recent purchases thread) The drum is very sensitive and versatile.
I owned the 5ply Buddy Rich , a truly outstanding drum .

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The N&C 14 x 3 7/8” Maple SS is the grail piccolo snare for me . It has a huge tuning range , great sensitivity and undeniable legacy. Heck it was used on Tom Perry’s “Last Dance with Mary Jane “ !!

katulu

Reaction score
I don't know about a holy grail, but I enjoy my 14x3.5 Pearl Free Floating brass and 13x3 Pearl brass snares. I've never felt a need for another shallow snare.

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have many including the NC mentioned above. Several Gretsch Max Roach and Progressives. Now as much as I am a snob made in the USA person I am, and always will be, I have a Pearl 4 by 14 that sounds good and I believe to be a bit of an oddball rarity. Not only is it a free floater but it is a single maple ply drum and states that on the shell badge.

Reaction score
I think that still is the mother of piccolo's, the Yamaha SD-935.

1649079114959.png

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The N&C 14 x 3 7/8” Maple SS is the grail piccolo snare for me . It has a huge tuning range , great sensitivity and undeniable legacy. Heck it was used on Tom Perry’s “Last Dance with Mary Jane “ !!
This, and 'One Headlight'. I didn't know it was used on that Petty track - interesting!

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...instead of something chintzy like those 3x13 Pearl piccolos you used to see everywhere because they were cheap.
Actually, Pearl called those soprano snares. I have a 3x13 brass Pearl and it is anything but chintzy. Tuned up high, it's great for loop-type grooves and timbale hits.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, Pearl called those soprano snares. I have a 3x13 brass Pearl and it is anything but chintzy. Tuned up high, it's great for loop-type grooves and timbale hits.
I would have to disagree. I was selling them new at a family music store in the 90s, and they were always marketed and sold as piccolo drums. The “soprano” models were Masters maple shells available mostly in Liquid Amber (occasionally other finishes), in 10” and 12” sizes. Yes the 3x13s sound fine (the brass is the best one), but are nothing compared to the Noble Cooley I mentioned — and of course they were a lot cheaper as well so it stands to reason that they don’t compare.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
This bad boy right here:

View attachment 552773

Yep, according to Tommy Wells that the Remo snare was all over Nashville recordings in the early 90's. When I posted about my favorite recorded snare sound he said it was probably this drum, I especially like the pop of the snare bringing in the chorus:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny how we take in music in random ways... Recently while shopping I've noticed a lot of songs with cranked up high pitched snares..piccolos I'm assuming... While these aren't my home base, I really love 4x14's..truly believe they're a magical size for snares... Having said this...I wonder for those who LOVE Piccolo Snares, what is "THE" drum or drums that define this world???
My understanding is that a piccolo snare is 3 x 13. Having said that, David Garibaldi’s snare sound is amazing to me! Don’t know what snare(s) he recorded with, but his beautiful signature Yamaha snare was 3.5 x 14 brass with zinc die cast hoops and blue tinted shell. Unfortunately, it was discontinued and is selling for stupid prices used.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I remember reading or hearing Ruth say that Zappa's favorite drum was a picc, though I don't recall a brand being mentioned. Anybody else ever hear a brand/model attached to that drum?