header.nohb.html

What's the Piccolo Snare Holy Grail?

T-Dub

Reaction score
IMG_3672.jpg

cpk313

Reaction score
I have a solid copper shell DW 4x14 that I think is pretty badass. My former drum teacher who passed a few years ago was a very good friend of Joe Morello and I was told it had been his. I have no way of verifying that so a helping of salt goes with that tail. Regardless it is a fantastic snare, it's heavy, probably 20+ lbs. I've had/have some other nice 4x14's, a solid aluminum shelled Trick snare, very loud, and I have a maple DW 4x14 which is also very nice but the solid copper shell snare is something special.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t know about holy grail. But I’ve got a Pearl steel 3x13 I bought for $70. Whenever I’ve needed a piccolo (not often) it has sounded exactly like a piccolo. I have another 4x14 but it is way more than a piccolo.
The black one? If so, great drum for the $!

jeffh

Reaction score
One of my favorite builds: a 4x13 Padauk stave. Padauk is one of the most beautiful sounding tonewoods, and this one had a 3/8" thick shell to give it some extra punchiness. Diecasts, Trick multi, and bearing edges that allowed a wide tuning range. Wouldn't mind doing another (or a few) of these sometime. :) This drum lives in Nashville now, and I still miss it.

1802194013B800.jpg

1802194013C800.jpg

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an old 3rd-hand brass Yammie 935 on my Tour Custom kit at my sister's basement studio in Wisconsin. Right next to her piano that cost more than the dump i live in. Guitar Center guy was offering the seller a lousy 80 bucks. The seller wanted 125. I gave the buyer 150. It's all I had in my wallet. Guitar Center drum guy was mighty pissed that i showed up to spend overtime money.

Can't compare it to others as it's the only pic-snare I've ever owned. But I love what it gives me. I've used it for country and folk more than any of my snares. It's absolute killer with brushes on DYI coated Diplos on top and a clear Ambo on the bottom.

Last edited:

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
I don't know about "grail" status, but if you ever get the chance to grab a Legend 14x4 phosphor bronze, take it. I like it better than the shallow Pearl or Yamaha brass snares I've played.

(Someone on DFO was selling a 14x6.5 version of this drum a few years ago, and it remains one of my great "non-purchase regrets.")

View attachment 552785
I was about to post about mine. I purchased this drum from legendary DFO contributor Tommy Wells before he passed away several years ago. My only negotiation with him was that he had to sign it for me. He laughed and said he would but it would probably make the drum worthless! A lot of folk on here now may not know of Tommy but he was a first-call studio drummer in Nashville and came out of Detroit in the early R&B years.
His PRO thread on here was a must-read.
IMG_1779[1].jpg
Tommyssig.jpg

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is the later seamed A version.

I had a two of the first gen seamless version (the same as the regular brass model pictured above).

I sold them as I found to be too much of a one trick pony.

I never heard of the lugs of the sd493 bending, but someone might have had that issue with a blue monday model.

All models sell for about the same prices anyway these days if you have some patience.

The regular brass is harder to find than the DG and 493 I noticed.

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
This is my Holy Grail piccolo snare: a custom built Joyful Noise 4" X 14" Black Nickel plated Luminary shell. It is absolutely amazing!
There is a long story about this but I'll give you the Reader's Digest version. I won a Luminary snare drum after submitting a review of auditioning
a TKO snare drum. Curt Waltrip contacted me and said I could spec out a Luminary so with little forethought I blurted out how I would love a Black Nickel
Luminary 4" X 14". Curt graciously accepted the challenge and despite several hurdles delivered this beauty. Because of all the trouble I caused Curt with
this project I recommended he name it Monkey Wrench, but he wisely chose to call it Patience: #1 of one. This one is going to my grave with me.

JN_4%22X14%22 copy.JPG

"Patience"

Last edited:

nuthinmuffin

Reaction score
Funny how we take in music in random ways... Recently while shopping I've noticed a lot of songs with cranked up high pitched snares..piccolos I'm assuming... While these aren't my home base, I really love 4x14's..truly believe they're a magical size for snares... Having said this...I wonder for those who LOVE Piccolo Snares, what is "THE" drum or drums that define this world???

Pearl 3 x 13 Maple in Liquid Amber...puts many "better drums to shame. $109 new in 1993

336D985E-01A6-4B71-AAC1-EC229ED519F9_4_5005_c.jpeg

Yamaha SD 493 3.5 x 14 Brass...one of the all time best. Dave Weckl's go to snare before they came out with his signature Aluminum drums. $275 in 1986

30A61B27-5807-46CD-AB38-14B645B2AB17.jpeg

I have owned and recorded with both and can attest to the sound of these 2 drums...if you want a badass sound on a budget, find the Pearl online used and impress yourself.

Last edited:

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 4 piccolos that I’ve collected over 30 years. N&C SS from the 90’s of course, Brady Jaharra, Sonor Cast Bronze, and a Sonor lite in Birch. All are winners, all sound different, all are at the top of the heap IMO.

I also have a vintage Ludwig downbeat but it’s not the best sounding drum IMO.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is the later seamed A version.

I had a two of the first gen seamless version (the same as the regular brass model pictured above).

I sold them as I found to be too much of a one trick pony.

I never heard of the lugs of the sd493 bending, but someone might have had that issue with a blue monday model.

All models sell for about the same prices anyway these days if you have some patience.

The regular brass is harder to find than the DG and 493 I noticed.
Oh! I thought all DG snares were all seamless. How can you tell the seamless from the seamed?

Darren

Reaction score
Funny how we take in music in random ways... Recently while shopping I've noticed a lot of songs with cranked up high pitched snares..piccolos I'm assuming... While these aren't my home base, I really love 4x14's..truly believe they're a magical size for snares... Having said this...I wonder for those who LOVE Piccolo Snares, what is "THE" drum or drums that define this world???
Right here my friend!!!

Attachments

• 8EC9A411-298D-4F3E-968E-30A4E0E4C0DF.jpeg
    8EC9A411-298D-4F3E-968E-30A4E0E4C0DF.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 19

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's been argued here in the past as to what size constitutes a true "piccolo" snare drum. If 14" is acceptable, then I would concur that the N&C 3.75x14 SS ("Phil Collins snare") is right there at the top. The 3.5x14 Pearl Free Floating brass or maple snare is also up there, along with older Yamaha 3.5x14 brass piccolos. For 13" snares, my choice would be a 3x13" Ludwig Classic Maple. I really like the sound of DW's carbon fiber Pi snare, but that's probably too new to qualify for the "Holy Grail" category.
Then there's the snare that wasn't supposed to sound like a Piccolo that does. When I bought my simple Sonor Safari it came with a so called 5x14 snare in 6ply poplar. Even with the stock import heads it was tight/snarky. I soon added an Ambassador coated and a 30 wire Puresound strainer. When I crank heads and snare it is as close to any of the Piccolos I hear on the videos here. I should state that with heads off the shell of mine is a hair less than 5in actually more like 4 3/4in. I have always been a fan of a deeper, bigger snare sound.
I have a Pearl Compact Traveller
Drums in a bag "frame kit" I use for small venues, street gigs etc. I invariably carted my 5x14 heavy chrome, 10 lugger along and consigned the Sonor to storage. Lately I am working with a small group in a tight space and so I hauled it out.
Volia' suddenly the Sonor sounds great, still snarky but less volume andthe other folks like it. Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks is dead wrong.
pics of Pearl Traveller below
Cheers

Attachments

• 57B990E2-90D2-4243-9B6C-3946CD73045F.jpeg
    57B990E2-90D2-4243-9B6C-3946CD73045F.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0976734E-0240-4A9A-B7C9-EE6921DC5FA6.jpeg
    0976734E-0240-4A9A-B7C9-EE6921DC5FA6.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 14

gotdrums57

Reaction score
I use a Carl Palmer Venus piccolo snare with a Noble Cooley snare strap on the bottom and a Remo Goldtone head when I'm playing rock and an Evans Calftone batter head if I'm playing jazz or country. On the snare side I use an Evans Orchestral 300 Clear Snare Side Drum Head. The Orchestral head is coated and has a really great response.

Attachments

• snare drum Piccolo _6503915020908686214_n.jpg
    snare drum Piccolo _6503915020908686214_n.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 24

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Not a dry piccolo by any means Ludwig’s 405 the lm400’s Little brother it’s got ring & pop

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
I found a 13x3.5 Brass Mapex on Reverb for a great price. This drum is good quality & heavy metal for it's size...Love the looks & sound of it. My go to snare drums are in the 6.5 - 7" range / So I use this one mainly for a Side Snare. Fortunate to have found it on Reverb.

Attachments

• Mapex piccolo 1 (2).jpg
    Mapex piccolo 1 (2).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 10