header.nohb.html

What's the Piccolo Snare Holy Grail?

rkingston

Reaction score
If we are calling 4x14 a piccolo?

To me, a piccolo is 14” or under in diameter and less than 4” in depth.*

A four is shallow, but it feels wrong to categorize it as a piccolo. It functions more with a similar character to a 5x14 than, say, a 3.5x13, which has the unquestionable characteristics of we associate with what we think of as a piccolo.

Anyway, yeah, there’s some gray area for sure, and of course there’s not one single magic number to delineate the crossover, but that’s how it goes in my mind. We know a 5 isn’t a piccolo. If someone thinks a 4 is a piccolo, is my 4.5 a piccolo because it’s not a 5? Just having fun here… I’m sure there’s talk about this elsewhere on the forum.

* I would clarify further that sentiment to say between about 2.5” and 4” (non-inclusive). Anything shallower, at any diameter, I think qualifies as a pancake and not a picc.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"only 23, 472 to go! "
"think (...) we shall have this wrapped up by Thursday

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve owned three piccolo’s.
First was the Yamaha brass as mentioned above. I bought it new when they came out without really testing it. I really didn’t like it and sold it as fast as I could and bought the N&C 14x3 7/8” SS. Miles apart. The Cooley handled any tuning and was ridiculously versatile. Still regret selling it.

Then a few years back I briefly had a Gretsch Progressive Jazz 14x4” 1959 model. Drier than a chain smokers cough. Sounded like it also.

Torquey

Reaction score
1649277071109.png

Carl Palmer Brass Ludwig Piccolo

KingLudwig

Reaction score
While I agree with many saying that the N&C 3 7/8x14 Maple Piccolo is the bomb...the real Holy Grail is the Solid Percussion Cocobolo 4x14 that Neil Peart raved about. I had one of these drums around the 2000s... I sold it to pay for grad school...:-(
Counting the one stolen from Neil there's less than 6 in the world!

KingLudwig

Reaction score

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been searching for that snare for years. No one gives them up!

My buddy Gene has been searching for one ever since he played mine.

He is entertaining the idea of having Gary from Summit build a drum to the same specifications as a Gretsch Stanton Moore Signature model.

I suggested that he could sign his own name on the outside with a paint pen.

:D

I looked for a long time to find mine. I stumbled upon it as new old stock at a friend's drum shop and bought it in January of 2019. It was eight years old and had never been touched, still in the box.

Out of my forty-some snares I regularly pick it as my favorite.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gretsch Progressive Jazz has always been my go-to holy grail piccolo snare, along with a 4 x 14 brass snare of any make really. I had a N&C SS 4x14 in the mid 90’s. Always regret selling that one. And I’ll never forgive myself for selling the 4x14 Leedy Black Elite that I paid $75 for in ‘93…a fool and his money…

Current selection:

39CD56B0-FCF4-4913-8A6B-403D3AC838FC.jpeg

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it's the Tama 14x4 Peter Erskine Jazz Signature snare. Maple/Spruce. Just a exemplary drum.

View attachment 552983
I agree on this one - cannot believe the huge volume level from this drum and the articulation is incredible . I thought on selling mine , but brought it out and played it again and it is no longer for sale .