Attachments

• 40BAAAFD-F99A-4EF7-B6E2-858CCB73388D.jpeg
    40BAAAFD-F99A-4EF7-B6E2-858CCB73388D.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 27

afwdrums

Reaction score
Did/Does Joyful Noise make one?

here you go Joe, from post #70 of this thread

This is my Holy Grail piccolo snare: a custom built Joyful Noise 4" X 14" Black Nickel plated Luminary shell. It is absolutely amazing!
There is a long story about this but I'll give you the Reader's Digest version. I won a Luminary snare drum after submitting a review of auditioning
a TKO snare drum. Curt Waltrip contacted me and said I could spec out a Luminary so with little forethought I blurted out how I would love a Black Nickel
Luminary 4" X 14". Curt graciously accepted the challenge and despite several hurdles delivered this beauty. Because of all the trouble I caused Curt with
this project I recommended he name it Monkey Wrench, but he wisely chose to call it Patience: #1 of one. This one is going to my grave with me.

View attachment 552956
"Patience"

Reactions: JDA

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
Here are two of mine. I also have a 3”x13” Remo Mastertouch.

Attachments

• 4E8612B1-D302-484F-A2BB-802A7B422D18.jpeg
    4E8612B1-D302-484F-A2BB-802A7B422D18.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 4051AD36-7EBC-4D9F-B620-373425B45B11.jpeg
    4051AD36-7EBC-4D9F-B620-373425B45B11.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 26

kennytony

Reaction score
Premier Wood 4x14 Royal Ace!
if this size verifies as a piccolo, I agree!
I own two: a wooden small badge aquamarine sparkle, that, for decades, was used by a family as a decorative hanging table ceiling lamp holding 8 candles in its open lugs. the wrap was under a black paint, easy to remove.
The hoops luckily were still there, but only some parts of the double strainer. I installed a ludwig piccolo strainer, non drilling.
I own many vintage snares, ludwig, gretsch 3ply, but this drum is something else, from bigband to funk. with a calf head you get the twist and shout crack sound no problem.

Second is a COB Royal ace large badge, all original. a heavy shell, giving me one of the loudest fattest snare backbeats I know.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Funny how we take in music in random ways... Recently while shopping I've noticed a lot of songs with cranked up high pitched snares..piccolos I'm assuming... While these aren't my home base, I really love 4x14's..truly believe they're a magical size for snares... Having sawhat is "THE" drum or drums that define this world???
Not 100% sure if there is a definitive answer to that question, but I think in a lot of people's mind, it might be a Ludwig Downbeat snare drum with a transition badge in a rare finish.

IMG_1103.jpg

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite is a Gretsch Taiwan made Max Roach 4x14. It is very versatile in the studio. Mics love that size. I am hunting a copper or bronze 4x14.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once had a 13" piccolo snare drum that was made by a company offshoot of DW
(if I remember correctly, Dixon?)... I sold it dirt-cheap back in the late 90s, and I regret selling it. That snare had THE crack sound and volume I had always wanted from such a snare.

I'm not on a hunt for any holy grail piccolo snare... any wood or steel pic snare that's a 13" x 5 or shallower is fine by me.

I'm currently playing a 13"x5" cute little Sound Percussion snare that is a wood shell wrapped in glossy black. I kept its stock reso head which sounds nice cranked up high; and for the batter I'm using a Remo Emperor coated batter head.
The Emperor has a deep sound, I have it cranked high but it still sounds deeply low frequency for a pic-sized snare drum.
I think I'll try a Remo Ambassador batter, or a Remo CS blackdot batter, as long as I can crank it to high pitches without breaking it. I enjoy the full bodiness of a wood shell, but I want my pic snare to sound high and dry...

Eventually, I would like to try one of those steel shell pic snare drums such as the Pearl M80.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I once had a 13" piccolo snare drum that was made by a company offshoot of DW
(if I remember correctly, Dixon?)... I sold it dirt-cheap back in the late 90s, and I regret selling it. That snare had THE crack sound and volume I had always wanted from such a snare.

I'm not on a hunt for any holy grail piccolo snare... any wood or steel pic snare that's a 13" x 5 or shallower is fine by me.

I'm currently playing a 13"x5" cute little Sound Percussion snare that is a wood shell wrapped in glossy black. I kept its stock reso head which sounds nice cranked up high; and for the batter I'm using a Remo Emperor coated batter head.
The Emperor has a deep sound, I have it cranked high but it still sounds deeply low frequency for a pic-sized snare drum.
I think I'll try a Remo Ambassador batter, or a Remo CS blackdot batter, as long as I can crank it to high pitches without breaking it. I enjoy the full bodiness of a wood shell, but I want my pic snare to sound high and dry...

Eventually, I would like to try one of those steel shell pic snare drums such as the Pearl M80.
I remember those.
Yes, you're right, it was a Dixon snare drum, but they had nothing to do with DW.
Not sure how they got away with the similar turret lugs, but yes, a lot of kids got those because they saw them as a "cheap DW", because of the look.
Sold through St. Louis Music, they originally went new for like $49.95, but eventually climbed to $99.95.
The price of popularity.
I heard the edges were pretty wavy on most, but they actually tuned up and sounded pretty nice, considering they were a 13x3.5.
...also, you mentioned 13x5 snare drums.
I got a Tama Stagestar snare drum in 2006.
I was looking for an inexpensive metal shelled counterpart to my 13x3 Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum and this one came along in excellent shape and for the right price.
When I initially played it, I noticed the darker, more resonant sound but there was an icy cold characteristic to its sound that didn't sit well with me.
I sat on it for a while, deliberating what to do.
In the meantime, the Ludwig always had a raspy sound that bugged me and one day, I was sitting there when I spied the Tama and realized I had never really looked at the underside.
It had a 20 strand snare and I thought this might help smooth out the sound of the Ludwig and its 12 strand snare.
So I swapped them.
At first play, I didn't really notice very much difference.
Disappointed, I set them both off to one side and threw a 14x4 Pulse steel shelled drum I also had up on the stand and used that for a while.
A few weeks later, I decided to switch them back, as I was planning on selling off the Tama.
I threw them up on the stand one last time and it was then that I noticed the drums now sounded quite different.
The Tama had picked up a slight warmth and fatness that wasn't present before.
The Ludwig had picked up a much smoother snare sound and it was a little bit drier now, too.
Quite pleased with what I heard, I scrapped the idea of selling off the Tama and left the snares as they were.
I still have the Ludwig kit and I still have that Tama snare drum, too.

Elvis

Last edited:

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember those.
Yes, you're right, it was a Dixon snare drum, but they had nothing to do with DW.
Not sure how they got away with the similar turret lugs, but yes, a lot of kids got those because they saw them as a "cheap DW", because of the look.
Sold through St. Louis Music, they went new for $79.95.
I heard the edges were pretty wavy on most, but they actually tuned up and sounded pretty nice, considering they were a 13x3.5.

Elvis
That's exactly why I had that Dixon snare in the first place, because the turret lugs lead me to believe Dixon was a "junior" to DW (like Epiphone is to Gibson, Squire to Fender).

During the time that I had that piccolo snare drum I heard Dixon got sued by DW, and so they closed shop.
Now I'm seeing that the Dixon piccolo snare drum is sought by collectors.
I don't see anything special about it but it's beautiful glossy natural wood finish,
and its particular crack sound and volume. That snare sure had a nice loud crack that cut through everything.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yeah, once the younger crowd got wind of that drum, every music store/drum shop in the nation got inundated with orders for those.
I think those were advertised as a Maple shelled drum, too.
In the late 90's, the ultimate status symbol, was to have a Maple snare drum.
Now that you mention it, I think there might've been some kind of legal action, because I remember Dixon stating "officially" their turret lug was different from the DW, so it wasn't like they were ripping them off (although it was pretty plain to see they were trying to gain some sales off of that design feature).
Don't recall them closing down, but they eventually dropped the turret lug from their inventory.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh man, that snare was quite popular during the late 90s.

I wonder if the shell was indeed Maple, because it had a distinct sound, and without any dampening to it young drummers were rim-shotting the heck out of it for that 311 Chad Sexton snare sound.

Even I was doped on that snare sound.
And since then it's become a stuck habit for me to use rim shots as the back beat.
But no matter type of snare that I play nowadays, I'll never get them to sound as good as the Dixon piccolo snare drum.

I'll bet Lars WISHES he had that Dixon piccolo snare drum for the St Anger album! I would be shocked if he DID use a Dixon for that album...
...because that ugly snare sound would be sacrilegious to the Dixon! :-D

Reaction score
Now I'm seeing that the Dixon piccolo snare drum is sought by collectors.
I don't see anything special about it but it's beautiful glossy natural wood finish,
and its particular crack sound and volume. That snare sure had a nice loud crack that cut through everything.

Not really sought after, as you can get them super cheap because Dixon was that cheap brand (and they never got over that image unfortunatley for them)

Here is one which you can probalby even pickup for 50 bucks too.

They made them in steel too:

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
always suspected the lugs on the 3X13 Dixons (had one) were plastic. they sure didn't 'tap' like metal..but none of the Taiwan era snares of that time did..

Premier9300002.jpg

they sure around (no pun) tho... (must of ..every store sold them