What's the rough date and model of this Ludwig Spur-Lok stand?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked this up in EZ Pawn for $15; I figured it was worth a stab, even with a missing clutch, felts and a screw, and a bent pedal stanchion that causes it to angle (I figure I can bend it back). Please note the black nylon strap. I'm in the midst of cleaning it up, throwing some feet on (either from one of my UFO snare stands or otherwise) and playing my old Krut hats on the thing!
IMG_20190512_174832601_BURST000_COVER_TOP~2.jpgIMG_20190512_174903572.jpg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig made this model, the 1123-1, from approx. 1965 to the mid 1980s. Some details changed through the production but the basic stand design remained the same. Not sure when they used the black linkage. My early 70's one I got in 1975 had a white nylon linkage. Unsure if black was earlier or later but I suspect it was earlier. The catalog seems to bear that out as well. I have a few of these and they all have the "white" (natural) nylon linkage. Later ones had fancier T-handle bolts instead of regular "mickey mouse eared" wing bolts the very late ones ('84 catalog below) had the big black plastic knobs.

This is a great lightweight hi-hat stand, one of my personal favorites. No tension adjustment but I have yet to encounter one that didn't feel great as is. Nice and light and packs up nice and small.

LU-PG016.JPG

LUD8443.JPG

Last edited:

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick response! I was having trouble discerning.

I'll probably give the spring some attention, if the grease is the same as a Speed King. But I'm looking even more forward to this now!

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It cleaned up fairly decently with some Barkeeper's Friend! I also used Simple Green the spring and inside of the downtube, and used bicycle chain lube.

It's surprisingly stable, and I expect it to be more so when I add the feet. It also REALLY livens up the hats.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Picked this up in EZ Pawn for $15; I figured it was worth a stab, even with a missing clutch, felts and a screw, and a bent pedal stanchion that causes it to angle (I figure I can bend it back). Please note the black nylon strap. I'm in the midst of cleaning it up, throwing some feet on (either from one of my UFO snare stands or otherwise) and playing my old Krut hats on the thing!
View attachment 396319View attachment 396320
Joe, this is a great hi hat stand; I use one with my 65 Ludwig Super Classic set. Easy to break down and transport. Mine has the black plastic? linkage as well......not sure if they eventually get brittle and break? But it has been at least 35 + years old and it hasn't so......
Anyway, enjoy it!
Chris

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're worried about the linkage breaking just wrap a stainless steel hose clamp around it and tighten it up until it conforms to the general shape of the plastic linkage. It should carry the actual load while the linkage maintains the proper distance. Folks have repaired broken linkages via this method so it should work even better with an intact example.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These were great HH stands. Unfortunately, both of mine are just worn out.

BTW, there was also a steel linkage for these....

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
These were great HH stands. Unfortunately, both of mine are just worn out.

BTW, there was also a steel linkage for these....
I also wondered if the steel linkage from the earlier 1123 hi hat stand or as a cheaper option, the steel linkage from the Ludwig Standard hi hat would work as replacement?

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Steel linkages were found on the Hercules stuff as well.

-Ryan