what's the secret to a bouncy snare?

jeannie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like to practice rudiments on a pad but I've never had a snare drum that came close to that kind of response. Yet I've played other sets with standard 5x14 snare where the bounce was good. (I play an old Dynasonic.)

Just for an experiment last week I cranked the snare head real tight on a piccolo snare of mine but it didn't make any difference. Then I cranked up the batter. Nothing.

What am I missing here? :?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thats the problem with practice pads-they can give you a false sense of achievement. I'm supposed to make the bounce,not the instrument,thats 75% of tecnique right there.Plus grip.Grip and bounce.Bounce and grip.Find the same thing with most electronic drums too.V-drums offer an approximation thats realistic.Whenever I do practice bounce and grip (not often enough) I do so on a pretty dead surface. Like a piece of old style carpet under padding. IMO. Good Luck bennyK.

I'm sorry I seem to have digressed.Again. What drum will give you the same response as a practice pad? Good question.I don't know. :oops:

jeannie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mfryed2112 said:
what kind of head?
oops, sorry. Batter is the Remo ambassador head with a black dot on the underside. Ambassador snare head.

BennyK, I know what you mean. I started out on one of those special Remo practice pads that were supposed to be so great, but ended up practicing more on the linoleum floor. Even that was bouncier than any drum.

But like I say, I have played snare drums with bouncy heads. But as you know, when you're sitting in, it's some hassle & noise getting off stage without pulling the guitar gear over LOL, and I'd never remember to ask the guy how he did it.. next time I will.

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you'll get a snare head to respond exactly like a pad in terms of "bounce", but I do a lot of rudimental playing as well and have had success duplicating that feel by using the Pro Mark Matt Savage TXXB2 drum sticks. They come with a rubber tip (blue) instead of wood or nylon. Turns anything, including a snare drum head, into a practice pad feel. Might be another option for you to try. I'm not sure Pro Mark is still making them, but I know a few eBay stores still carry them for about $20 with shipping.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
The only thing that is going to come close to a pad is a marching snare head of the Kevlar type. And it probably won't tighten up enough on a standard drumset snare drum.

Go for a more pronounced stick rebound that YOU cause on the pad and that will transfer a little better to a concert/drumset snare. In other words, if you can make a nice rebound roll on a sheet of paper that is held fairly taunt by a friend then you have the rebound control down pretty good.

Robb

Drumjinx

Drum manufacturer
Reaction score
A nice two story building....

Is it PC to joke about this on a drum forum?
Hey Liz....pleased don't call the "Drum Humane Society" on me....
:wink:

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the black dot may be stiffening up the feel. try regular coated ambassador.

i have my reso heads very tight, at least six half turns of the key from just touching the rim. batter head is in the two to three and a half half turns. this gives me a very bouncy feel but still doesn't come close to many pads. it is however bouncier than my remo pad with real head.

Latest posts