What's the Worst Band Name You "Inherited"?

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You joined a band that already had a name so you had no say...

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not a regular member, but I subbed a lot with a band named "Round Three".

A previous band with some of the same members broke up due to fighting, so they called the next incarnation "Round Three".

I thought that it was pretty stupid, but I didn't have to live with it every week.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You joined a band that already had a name so you had no say...
I always thought it was stupid to put “(xyz) Blues Band” as the name. Is it a warning? Yep- I was in a few of those. The funniest part was when the (wyz) Blues Band dropped “Blues Band” from their name. Venues that booked us before did NOT drop “Blues Band” from the name on the marquee. Needless to say when they were expecting “Born Under a Bad Sign” and heard “Working for the Weekend”, the bar patrons were (justifiably) angry. Frankly, that was the beginning of the end for that band. That band leader did everything he could to impede his own success...

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
'88 or '89 my guitarist friend and I rehearsed once with a band called GHOST TOWN. One of my few experiences playing with people I didn't already know. It was a real Boogie Nights moment, these guys thought they had its on their hands. And, well...

At least it made for a funny memory. LOL

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sat in for a short stint with a 50's somethings (yes, I am too) called the "Greyhounds". Meh.......

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Maggots. Not the greatest name, but I sort of like it.

That was the name for about two months before we changed to SkullPulse, then Plaid Static, then Spine over the next three years.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The Saddle Sores - thought it was cheesy and just trying to hard to sound country and or funny

Nueces Strip - Nueces is a river near my home town the Nueces Strip was stretch of land from the river south to the Rio Grande that Mexico disputed with the U.S. Great history lesson but not great for a band name "When do y'all take off your clothes?"

girl singer last name "Wright" with The Wrong Way Wranglers ok this one was actually my fault I suggested it as a joke and she liked it and named the band that.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Doobie Brothers.

Oh, you mean bands I’ve actually played in?

Night Wind (My first real band, and we actually had a steady book of bars and weddings. Ironically the most lucrative endeavor of my entire non career. I bought a Yamaha 750 with one summer’s earnings. Fortunately we never announced our name at a gig.)

Meat & Potatoes (I thought this one announced, “Nothing special here, folks. Songs you’re tired of hearing. Just move along,” So I did.)

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Shoot The Pilot. It was actually the same band I had quit a couple years prior but they had changed the name after I left. Fortunately that only lasted a couple gigs and the guitarist (who was the main reason I quit the first time) and bass player left. We've since patched things up and he's played with us a couple times since then but nothing permanent.

After that band's demise the singer and I just played as a duo for a year or two until we got a lead guitarist (guitarist for the singer's first band) and finally a bass player. Been that way for 12 years now.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried several times to get local bands I've played in to call ourselves "Special Guest". It helped that we were almost always the opening act for more established local bands.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I played in a band for a few years called Too Soon Jokes. I loved the music, I loved the people but that name was just so terrible and I had absolutely no say in it. It was tough when people would ask what my band was called.