What's the Worst Band Name You "Inherited"?

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Enajyram - Mary Jane spelled backwards. They had banners, t-shirts, and merchandise and a following of about 10 people. The singer's girlfriend/manager was always pushing to include more of his awful original songs in the set list.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enajyram - Mary Jane spelled backwards. They had banners, t-shirts, and merchandise and a following of about 10 people. The singer's girlfriend/manager was always pushing to include more of his awful original songs in the set list.
Oh boy , you gotta love the G/F -Manager guys ....

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
True band from L.I. c. 1968 "Phaetons" you lose points when you can't pronounce it

BTW Poco began as "Pogo" but was threatened w/lawsuit by Walt Kelly.

That "Boss-town" hype of 1968 has some awful ones - "Chocolate Watch Band" comes to mind.

Always loved "The Band" for being just "The Band"

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a band name, but someone I met at a gig I was playing with a mutual friend, was trying to put together a band to play a CD he'd just made with our mutual friend. I said sure, send over the music, let'd do it!!

Turns out the CD was called "That Bitch Broke My Heart!" All the songs were bitter songs with names like "I Hate You (but I don't wanna)", "Cry All Night", "I don't need your kind of love"...

I was kind of shocked and just didn't want to deal with all that having just gotten over my own big breakup.

So I stalled and never answered him. About 6 months later I saw him again when he came to another gig and asked about it. So I broke down and listened to the CD that night and instantly loved it. We've been playing together for about 7 years.

Adam Lakes. I love the guy.
https://soundcloud.com/adam-lakes%2Fsets%2Fthat-bitch-broke-my-heart

Last edited by a moderator:

WLVN

Reaction score
Around 1990, I auditioned for a band in a very rural area near Conroe, TX outside of Houston inside at an abandoned office strip center. The band name was "Damage" and they had logo t-shirts, matches, keychains, koozies etc... all piled up under a big black banner that said "Damage" as if it was some sort of shrine. The guitarist was teaching his girlfriend to play bass because the bass player had disappeared. I was concerned about locking in with a student bass player who stared at her boyfriend guitarist's fingers non-stop. So, I inquired further about the regular bass player and they told me that he often went into the woods by himself to "cook crank" for days at a time, but that he'd be back and that she was just sitting in. I thought to myself "alright they need to change their name to Brain Damage, I'm done here". They also gave me a whiskey and coke that just wasn't right, it screwed me up till the next day... Just one drink, now I sometimes still wonder what was in it!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mystic Moonlight, it was a ridiculous name and promptly changed

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fatty Lumpkin. I was 14. Apparently named after an obese horse in Tolkien somewhere. The name lasted one gig. The somewhat overweight bandleader was approached by the club owner on our first gig with the comment, "OK, well, you must be Fatty." Name changed that week.

Last edited:

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
4H.

I was told by the bass player that it was a military term for getting booted. I asked around and no one could confirm it. Needless to say, the name stuck for about two months, the bass player had a teenage girl tantrum and quit, and we changed the name anyway.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine for a while called his band You Suck because that way they were somewhat un-insultable.