What's the Worst Band Name You "Inherited"?

tone-def

Reaction score
Here's my list:

No Offense (not sports related)
The Shrinky Dinks
Big Daddy & Authorized Personnel (cliche but I did get a chuckle when bars billed us as Big Daddy and the Holding Company)
The Morning After (not pill related)

I loved all of those bands, but the names...

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Maggots. Not the greatest name, but I sort of like it.

That was the name for about two months before we changed to SkullPulse, then Plaid Static, then Spine over the next three years.
The Swedish garage rockers The Maggots are/were great! :)

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been in a couple of bands with names that was invented in the moment, due to a gig coming up:
Horst and the lions - an hour before the outdoor gig we read the evening paper and found out that a person with the mentioned name had walked into a safari park and been killed by the lions. No one else but us made the connection.. Bad taste - yes! (one of Sweden's biggest acts mention the name as being an important reason to why they started playing!)

Another gig, another one-off group of people playing together. Need a name: Watertouchers!
Everybody loved the name and had all kinds of wonderful, loving, smart ideas of the meaning of the name.
Watertoucher - when the number two materia touches the water in the bowl before releasing itself...

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Maggots. Not the greatest name, but I sort of like it.

That was the name for about two months before we changed to SkullPulse, then Plaid Static, then Spine over the next three years.
I was in a band called Stagnant Mucous. Yep- punk rock at it’s best.

drums1225

Reaction score
One of my earliest steadily working gigs was with a band called "Hot Ice". Ugh... Another was "Casual Humans". Also not great.

I named a side-project "Neverland Sleepover", when Michael Jackson was still alive and the allegations were still in the public discourse. People either laughed hysterically (my goal) or winced uncomfortably (also my goal) upon hearing the name. I mainly suggested it to make the guys laugh as we were brainstorming names, and their reaction was laughter and a unanimous "YES!!!!!"

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my earliest steadily working gigs was with a band called "Hot Ice". Ugh... Another was "Casual Humans". Also not great.

I named a side-project "Neverland Sleepover", when Michael Jackson was still alive and the allegations were still in the public discourse. People either laughed hysterically (my goal) or winced uncomfortably (also my goal) upon hearing the name. I mainly suggested it to make the guys laugh as we were brainstorming names, and their reaction was laughter and a unanimous "YES!!!!!"
I used to have a satire newsletter that had mock ads. One had a (fake) record naming a song by a Mikul Jaxon and Arrrrr Kelli duet called “My Mistake was the Tape”.

snared

Reaction score
LiL Hitler
Made in reference to the the little strip of hair a woman doesn’t shave.
nobody got it and I was out of there.

stefanwegner

Reaction score
I had a friend who wanted to change his band name every time, but title every album the same: "Live from the Ladies' Luncheon".

And one time, whilst playing a single open mic gig in a famous downtown Toronto venue, my band showed up without a name. The MC decided to just give us one: 'The Texas Backbeats'. Our singer misheard him and introduced us as 'The Texas Teabags'. Things didn't go well after that.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was stupid to put “(xyz) Blues Band” as the name. Is it a warning? Yep- I was in a few of those. The funniest part was when the (wyz) Blues Band dropped “Blues Band” from their name. Venues that booked us before did NOT drop “Blues Band” from the name on the marquee. Needless to say when they were expecting “Born Under a Bad Sign” and heard “Working for the Weekend”, the bar patrons were (justifiably) angry. Frankly, that was the beginning of the end for that band. That band leader did everything he could to impede his own success...
I agree and I've been in a band with such a name for many years. When I joined the band we had what I thought was a killer name. When we decided to put out a CD, someone in the band mentioned there was another band with that name. I checked and there was one - only one. So somebody (I had no say) decided on the ____ Blues Band. I hated it - still do. At the time I also looked up the new name. There were lots of bands with that exact same blues band name. Go figure. I was a good boy and said nothing. When I'm not around the other members, I still call us by our original name. Last time we played, the announcer started to introduce us by our original name but caught herself and corrected. Brought a tear to my eye :)

P.S. The original band name was not trademarked.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was briefly in a band with some friends which we named "Reptile Dysfunction", which I thought was cool. We had a neat logo with a lizard on it. But when we actually landed a gig we suddenly became (without my knowledge) "The Late Night Drive Thru Band" which was about as hackneyed as one could get. The guitar player that booked the gig chickened out on the original name and came up with that doozy on his own. I was none too happy about the change but we soldiered on briefly with that horrible name until things mercifully fell apart. The core of that band reformed a short while later, without me (my choice) or the guy who came up with the LNDTB name (their choice) and had some decent local success under the name "Huge Hefner"....another classic ;)