What's this black stuff and how do I get it off? Vintage Acrolite

Steefalo

Reaction score
Took the heads off my '71 Ludwig Acrolite and there's these black marks around a good bit of the drum where the head would rest.
Some of it came off just with water and a cloth, but not much. I've since tried dish soap and Goo-Gone with no success. Any help? Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve seen many anodized shells with that rub-wear from hoop collars. I usually just clean off what I can and live with the rest, you can’t see it when heads are on anyway.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the heads off my '71 Ludwig Acrolite and there's these black marks around a good bit of the drum where the head would rest. I don't remember seeing them the last time I replaced the head.
Some of it came off just with water and a cloth, but not much. I've since tried dish soap and Goo-Gone with no success. Any help? Thanks!
I'll have to consult my sister's husband as she's still got some on her knees.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe try vinegar, rubbing alcohol, windex, lighter fluid, or a magic erase sponge. If you have a steady hand, lightly scrape with a razor blade. Maybe a metal polishing cloth.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have that on my 70's Acro...heads and hoop cover it fine. Honestly I am doubtful as far as it's complete removal....Just sayin'

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Yes, it is that dreaded rub-wear from hoop collars! Every single anodized aluminium shell I’ve seen has it!
It does not come off completely. You can try to remove it to some degree with automotive rubbing compound!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s mold go ahead and send it my way I’ll dispose of it lol nah just happens from
Hoops

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, it is caused by tight fitting heads, with the hoop rubbing against the shell. Not much you can really do about it, but the heads cover it up anyway!

-Mark