LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the band

CLUTCH

what's their MO, who likes em , etc
I posted this last year:

I've been a fan for a long time. Definitely in my top 5!
They are the real deal!

Reactions: JDA

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard a few Clutch songs over the years and none had really registered. Maybe I was just not in the proper headspace for their music, but I like what I hear now. I'm mightily impressed by Gaster, he's got a sort of Bonham-ish swing to his playing but definitely not in a copycat way.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Clutch. Jean-Paul Gaster is the swingingest drummer in Metal right now.
To me, the records don’t completely capture what they do live, so I’ll go see them every time they come around!

I also like what I’ve heard from the support band on Clutch’s upcoming tour. Stoner features ex-Kyuss members Brant Bjork and Nick Oliveri with Hammerface drummer Ryan Gut.

Browny

Reaction score
Yeah I’m a fan.

“Robot Hive / Exodus” is my favourite record of theirs.

JP Gaster is a great drummer. Was playing some big old 26/13/16 WMP Slingerlands for a while.

The Bakerton Group is the instrumental/jam version of the band, they’ve got some cool stuff out too.

King Hobo is a side project of JP’s that’s worth a listen. Think they’ve done a couple of records.

JP also did two albums with Five Horse Johnson that are good blues rock; from memory they’re “The Mystery Spot” and “The Taking Of Black Heart”.

Also one with Mark Stanley called “Dark Brain”, one with Wino called “Forever Gone” and a self-titled one with Spy Machines.

Reactions: JDA

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! The more I discover them, the farther they are from my first idea of them. I don't know why I was under the impression that they were of the "lifted truck with male anatomy hanging off the rear bumper" tribe... No offense if any of you are, but it's not really my scene. And I'm glad I was way off. This will serve as a self-reminder to be a little less trigger happy with the judgmental bull manure...

Gaster is probably the most solid and interesting contemporary hard rock drummer I've heard in years, hands down. But this Singer has got serious pipes, I mean serious!! Charisma up the wazoo, a great flow... I love the way he phrases his melodies and puts emphasis on certain seemingly random, but carefully chosen words. He's got a bit of a preacher-like quality to his delivery, he's totally invested and convinced, selling his stuff hard. No apologetic side glances here, no mumbling and no shoegazing either.

I'm also starting to really appreciate the somewhat surreal and sometimes funny imagery of the lyrics as well.

All in all a great cohesive unit of musically legit, hardworking and seemingly good guys. I wish I'd hopped on the wagon sooner but hey, better late than never.

Thanks JDA for bringing them up as a question, that spurred my curiosity.

Reaction score
Yeah Joe!!!!!

I'd heard about them, but just had never checked them out. I just watched that first live vid. And if the singer doesn't have some DC go-go influence in him (the way he plays the bell,) I'll eat my SCDR. The drummer seems to have some go-go influence in him as well (check out his BD playing, slinky and funky!) Especially when the singer starts playing some straight up go-go on the bell.

Are they from DC? They gotta be! Troublefunk, Maisha, Junkyard, Chuck Brown anybody????

Cool band, not what I expected, I'm going to check them out some more. Conviction personified!

Between them, the Foos, Wilco, White Denim, Black Keys, TTB, and Battles (check them out Joe!!!) I'm good with "newer" rock bands.

A mutual friend of the drummer's and mine told me he was in NJ a while back recording a record, I should have accepted the invite to hang (I was out of town at the time.) DAMN!

Call me a new fan, thanks Joe!!!!
MSG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: