what's this board think of the band....think of, know of

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in high school all my friends loved them I never cared them or many of the other butt rock bands

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright, I had to google "butt rock" and... great term, nails that sub-genre to a T.
Oh boy, does it ever??!! I didn't know there was a proper nomenclature for it, but that's exactly the category I had wrongly classified them into. Now mind you, there's probably a non-negligible intersection in the Venn diagram of Clutch fans and butt rock fans. Certainly not big enough to prevent me from enjoying their music though.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, does it ever??!! I didn't know there was a proper nomenclature for it, but that's exactly the category I had wrongly classified them into. Now mind you, there's probably a non-negligible intersection in the Venn diagram of Clutch fans and butt rock fans. Certainly not big enough to prevent me from enjoying their music though.
Right, don't disagree there, most everything is joined at the hip to some degree.

But this style, like the Sirius Octane channel and others like it, in my head I refer to them as "whiny kid's hard rock station".

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my absolute favorite bands. Growing up on classic and southern rock makes these guys an easy favorite. Kinda like ZZ top on steroids musically. Then neil delivers lyrics like no other. Im also a little biased when it comes to gaster as he uses the same set up i do and he kills it everytime. I have several of their albums and listen to them quite often. Their live shows are truly good and powerful.

Reactions: JDA

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, don't disagree there, most everything is joined at the hip to some degree.

But this style, like the Sirius Octane channel and others like it, in my head I refer to them as "whiny kid's hard rock station".
It's a shame that they have to share space with the likes of Five Finger Death Punch, Nickelback, and Godsmack, but even fans of those groups like good music when they hear it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
l'see how they handle this one...

H2O
(at times i hear a little 1971 Atomic Rooster (Death Walks behind You) in there too along with the other references mentioned...)
CHECK 37:12 water is flying off the floor toms

HOW is no one getting shocked there?

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
l'see how they handle this one...

H2O
(at times i hear a little 1971 Atomic Rooster (Death Walks behind You) in there too along with the other references mentioned...)
CHECK 37:12 water is flying off the floor toms

HOW is no one getting shocked there?
Aaaaaah the outdoors festival gigs in torrential downpours... I've had more than my fair share of those. Water in the pedalboards, neck warping on expensive guitars, loosing part of the lighting and/or monitoring system due to water shorts, stagehands running around with giant squeegees, trying keep the water away from the power sources... Yeah that's the part of gigging I don't miss that much.

They're handling it all like the seasonned pros that they are. The fans have probably paid good coinage to attend and they delivered a good show for those who stayed. That's what you're supposed to do, "The show must go wrong..." They would've been in their right to walk off before the end of their set, but they didn't and consequently, they'll probably get called back for another edition. The open-back StageLine wasn't a great idea in this instance tho... The organisers def should've at least tarped the back.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he rescued and continued playing those (Gold Sparkle G's) drums thereafter... Like to have heard someone ask him (about it.
he has it--- in a double bass configuration--- in some other video before or after I don't know).

drumdawg

Reaction score
I've recently become a fan of this band. I had heard of them and tried listening to some random songs of theirs but couldn't get into it. Then someone suggested the song A Quick Death In Texas. Ever since then I have been hooked, listened to all of the albums and watched concerts on youtube. I'm also trying to learn the cowbell breakdown in A Quick Death In Texas. It is a fun groove and an exercise in independence.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think he rescued and continued playing those (Gold Sparkle G's) drums thereafter... Like to have heard someone ask him (about it.
he has it--- in a double bass configuration--- in some other video before or after I don't know).
And this folks, is why you don't bring your highly collectibles on tour, stick with the easily replaceable sponsored/mule kits... This suff will turn your Round Badge into an Out-Of-Round Badge in no time

This show was in New Orleans if I got that right... My question would be: with the humidex factor off the charts as it is pretty much always down there, How long it took for the gear to completely dry out afterwards?