what's this board think of the band....think of, know of

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
Man where to begin. Picked up a CD of Transnational Speedway League in '93 cause it looked cool and have never looked back. Discovered Tool Opiate the same way. Man I miss those days of browsing the racks to see what looked "interesting", the name and/or artwork. This was when they cost around $15 almost $30 today! But I digress...

Have seen them 4 times, the first rather disappointing opening for Pantera in an arena. Definitely not their type of venue. The 2nd was in a rather small bar and it was life-changing. The latest was a couple of years ago with my then 18 year old son who absolutely loves them and is also a drummer.

Put a CD (not this streaming poppycock) on loud on some decent speakers and enjoy the insane punch of that 26 in. kick!

Reactions: JDA

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really like the band and Gaster is a master. Funny but somehow I feel his approach is that of a jazz drummer. He’s a jazzer in my eyes.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
I've recently become a fan of this band. I had heard of them and tried listening to some random songs of theirs but couldn't get into it. Then someone suggested the song A Quick Death In Texas. Ever since then I have been hooked, listened to all of the albums and watched concerts on youtube. I'm also trying to learn the cowbell breakdown in A Quick Death In Texas. It is a fun groove and an exercise in independence.
Live at least, Neil, the singer grabs a huge cowbell and plays a cool alternating pattern with him. They actually go off into an extended jam which they do on alot of songs. Jean Paul adds alot more live with you sometimes wondering is he really going to find the 1 at the end of this but he always does.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinged on my youtube feed, worth a watch:

Reactions: JDA