What's Up with Acrolite Values ?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I bought mine last year, I ended up buying it new. I thought the same thing, that used prices for Acro's were insane. But then again everything used down here is crazy expensive.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying a new one for my music school 2 years ago. Sounds horrible. Even my students ask if they can use another snare. But it sure looks nice...on the shelf.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just remarking on this very thing. I was amazed when I saw some of the eBay asking prices as of late. I remember being able to buy those drums for about $50 bucks max back in the 90's. I used to find so many I just got sick of seeing them and typically passed on one as I didn't want to bother with it. They are crazy now.
You beat me to this observation and comment Kurt . Acrolites were all over the place cheap in the 90’s . I also remember being able to buy Supra 400s for $100 to $150 then too .

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Thinking aloud, I could use a 5 gallon bucket of decent house paint, so what are one of those school kit things (original case with acrolite [original heads and wires], stand, rubber pad, etc) in roughly excellent condition worth in today's dollars?

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thinking aloud, I could use a 5 gallon bucket of decent house paint, so what are one of those school kit things (original case with acrolite [original heads and wires], stand, rubber pad, etc) in roughly excellent condition worth in today's dollars?
Funny you should mention the complete student kit (snare, case, practice pad, stand and sticks). I just sold one of those for $400.00 (77'). It was the complete package, in super nice shape. It can be hard to get a complete kit, usually it's just the snare, maybe case, maybe the stand, and that's it. The guy knew what it was, he is super happy, so that's cool.

That was the most I've ever paid for an Acro, and only because it was the full deal - $125.00. I've had a ton of them over the years, and have generally paid between $50.00-$100.00 (snare only). There's still a ton of them out there, they pop up for cheap. I still have my 64', its great, for when I want 'that' sound. But yeah, the pricing, in general, has gone crazy, imo.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think the days of not paying more than $100 for an Acro are over. I paid $25 for my 70's Acro. It had a lug insert that was jacked up and the person I bought it from thought the drum was trashed. Luckily I had a lot of spare parts. I plan on being buried with my Acrolite.

sammy123

Reaction score
Vintage is still hot and made in USA is also hot. On top of that they really are good drums. Plus there is more hype than ever about Acros. The days of cheap Acros are gone. It's just like analog synths in the 90s. No one wanted them and they sold cheap. Now they command huge prices...even the bad ones.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I got an old new in box Black Galaxy at the Chicago show a few years ago for $150. I waited until Sunday when everything was discounted, and I think it was $200 originally. I think near mint ones are probably worth $250, and good condition keystone badge ones about the same, but if it's B/O badge and needs any work, has pitting or scratches, then under $200 for sure. The really obscene thing is the brand new ones selling for $430.
According to the Casio catalog from Winter 2011 the the 5x14 listed at $464, selling price $299. In the Casio catalog from Winter 2019, the list price was $660, selling price $429. That’s why used one’s are so high now.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I made the mistake of buying a new one for my music school 2 years ago. Sounds horrible. Even my students ask if they can use another snare. But it sure looks nice...on the shelf.
I have to wonder why an Acro would sound bad. Bad heads? Defects in the shell? It’s the same aluminum shell as a Supra, and, my understanding is that they come with heavy duty rims now.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have to wonder why an Acro would sound bad. Bad heads? Defects in the shell? It’s the same aluminum shell as a Supra, and, my understanding is that they come with heavy duty rims now.
In round, Remo Ambassadors over and under, good wires. Well tuned but like most Acro’s and 5” deep Supra’s it sounds bright, brittle and thin compared to the other snares we have. I’ve had a few LM 400’s and I just don’t like them. I thought I would like the Acro more since I have a tendency to like 8 lug drums more but alas, no. I’ve never understood the hype about neither the Acro or the 400 Supra. But, that’s just me.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
In round, Remo Ambassadors over and under, good wires. Well tuned but like most Acro’s and 5” deep Supra’s it sounds bright, brittle and thin compared to the other snares we have. I’ve had a few LM 400’s and I just don’t like them. I thought I would like the Acro more since I have a tendency to like 8 lug drums more but alas, no. I’ve never understood the hype about neither the Acro or the 400 Supra. But, that’s just me.
I think your’s is the first bad review of an Acro I’ve seen. I have a 70’s B/O badge Acro that I put heavy rims on and I love the way it sounds - a dry thwock with a metallic tone is how I would describe it. Not thin to my ear.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am another person that doesn’t like the Acrolite or Supra 400 . I do like the 402s and Black Beauties . Just never understood the attraction for the Acrolite . I have owned one previously and quickly realized it just was not for me .
i had some INDe seamless Aluminum snare that I liked a lot more than the Acrolite and Ludaloy Supras .

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a 4-5 Acros over the years that I got either for free or under $100. When I sold my last one a few years back, I noticed they were increasing in price but vowed to never buy one for more than $100. Found one a few weeks ago with case and stand in pristine condition for $100.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just remarking on this very thing. I was amazed when I saw some of the eBay asking prices as of late. I remember being able to buy those drums for about $50 bucks max back in the 90's. I used to find so many I just got sick of seeing them and typically passed on one as I didn't want to bother with it. They are crazy now.
I sent one to Australia for $75 in mid 90s....and made some $$,so...must have paid $50 or less for it...

Latest posts