What's up with these Zildjian low volume hats??

Kln_BC

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of the zildjian L80 low volume cymbals. This is my second set of them....first ones were fantastic. The hats on this second set...man, I don't know what's up with them. Just constantly getting a weird buzzing sound...like metal vibrating on metal, but very unpleasant. To be fair all the hardware and everything is different as well so I don't know if that could be the culprit? I don't hear anything like this with my regular hats though....

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reverse the cymbals top to bottom? (Doesn't matter too much for these as weights are similar)
Try these on a different high hat stand?
Just some ideas.

Square

Reaction score
Mine certainly don't sound that way. Top/bottom swap sounds like a good idea. A small adjustment of the tilt screw on the bottom collar might be enough too.

Vibrations are funny things, the culprit could be something you least suspect.

If you have a different HH stand, you might swap that just to eliminate a large chunk of "stuff" that could be involved. If you swap and it still buzzes, you know it's the cymbals.

Kln_BC

Reaction score
I swapped top and bottom, and tried both on top with my Mastersound hat bottom; that made it even worse. I've tried varying amounts of pressure on the pedal, and every angle of tilt possible. I put them on a flat surface and they aren't warped...I mean, they're not perfectly flat but it's so close, pretty much like every other cymbal I own. I checked for cracks and damage and there's nothing.

I feel like it has got to somehow be the stand...I just don't know how lol. There is a bit of a metallic ring with my normal hats if I listen hard enough, but they overpower it. I could see how that same frequency would make light hats like these do this...

Rock Salad

Reaction score
You should record some outrageous industrial electronical music with it first before you fix it, like with guitars feeding back and distortion bass and snare and all that raawrr weee

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, that is obnoxious! Have you contacted Zildjian? Maybe they'll swap them out?

Dan

Maninblack

Reaction score
As a former sound engineer I'd suggest a two stage approach.

No1 Eliminate stand issues. Change all the felts on the hihat stand. The felts are the only significant contact point between the cymbals and hihat stand. If this makes no difference then you can discount stand issues.

No 2 I think your resonance issues are in the top hihat cymbal when it is not under pressure from a closed hat. It sounds like a classic resonance within small spaces so I supspect the resonance is there. Try adding an inch of masking tape to the upper surface of the cymbal to cancel out rogue frequencies. You may need several variations to cancol the buzz.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is it possible there is a crack(s) between the small holes randomly causing the buzz? Like two rough edges of metal making vibrational contact when they are struck.