What's with the mass exodus from Zildjian all of a sudden?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Drummers value endorsements of other players too highly.

On the other hand I dunno where Zildjian is thinking with Ocean spray guy though......maybe circling the drain?

You don't hire a suit to lead a niche cymbalmaking business.
100% agree.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hasn't Zildjian done this before?

As the 800 lb. gorilla in the market, their roster probably just grows and grows over time... I would imagine to the point, when it become a drain on resources that can't possibly be paid for in sales...

So I imagine, they make some changes.... reset a bit. Again, I seem to remember hearing of them doing this before...

Not that it personally matters to me one bit (if I was touring in a way that I needed support, that would be a different subject) - but as a player, I can't say I pay attention on bit as to who plays which brand. I shop for and buy what sounds good to me...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea and evidently a lot of different cymbals are sounding good today
and on the other hand
"there will always" be a Zildjian.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe they have been cancelled. Everyone remember how Sabian took a beating with their logo rebrand? A lot of Zildjian artists jumped ship after Lenny Dimuzio left too before Paul and Sarah. People who didn't live in the 80s won't remember the Zildjian platinum or the original paiste colorsound lines because they didn't sound very good and didn't ever seem to catch on. All l know is that great musicians spawn clones. If Vinnie plays Gretsch and Paiste you can bet that millions of wanna be's will run out and buy his gear, clothes, glasses etc. Ringo put Ludwig on the map overnight from a small American company producing a moderate level of drums to having a demand so large that they had over 200 employees. Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland and Cobham did it for Tama. Gadd, Weckl and Vinnie for Yamaha. Elvin, Tony, Max and Blakey for Gretsch. Buddy and Krupa for Slingerland. Most of all those guys played Zildjian too. When Bob Zildjian died Sabian changed. Armand died and Craigie is running things. She is probably a lot more corporate and less personable to the staff and the artists. Who knows? Play what sounds good to you because your ears like it. Vinnie endorsed Yamaha recording customs and maple customs for years and used Gretsch in the studio. Porcaro too. Gadd used a Supraphonic before and after his time at Yamaha. Brand loyalty is great but use your ears and not your eyes when picking out gear.

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Zildjian, and own only Z’s + a Lauritsen.

I look forward to giving Paul Francis the $ on my next cymbal purchase.

What @1988fxlr said earlier, Zildjian does have its own success to deal with. Most Z’s I like nowadays are old or discontinued, and I have a Zildjian for ever need already.

But losing sight of the heritage and the sound and letting people go like Paul is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
after 30-40 years of playing the same cymbal
Girls just want to have fun,
Boys too

For every older/timer they lose they likely maybe gain a new one./

I wouldn't read anything into it but I could..
(machine cough.. machine... pressed cough cough)
See told ya I wouldn't
I'd like to teach the world to sing blah blah blah did wonders for coca cola sales way back when . they weren't selling a soft drink .... really ? zildjian has swollen the ranks of the real thing . wunnerful wunnerful. if only pontiac and oldsmobile had woken up, they may not have missed the chance to de contaminate themselves .

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
My gut feel of market share 1980 to Present. If I am in the universe of what is actual this might explain some of Z's moves.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I heard from a reliable source that the new CEO has been known to say "Sound isn't everything".... and to insure that he got no pushback....he got rid of those who might disagree.
Sales are important - but if he destroys the brand....

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Maybe they have been cancelled. Everyone remember how Sabian took a beating with their logo rebrand? A lot of Zildjian artists jumped ship after Lenny Dimuzio left too before Paul and Sarah. People who didn't live in the 80s won't remember the Zildjian platinum or the original paiste colorsound lines because they didn't sound very good and didn't ever seem to catch on. All l know is that great musicians spawn clones. If Vinnie plays Gretsch and Paiste you can bet that millions of wanna be's will run out and buy his gear, clothes, glasses etc. Ringo put Ludwig on the map overnight from a small American company producing a moderate level of drums to having a demand so large that they had over 200 employees. Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland and Cobham did it for Tama. Gadd, Weckl and Vinnie for Yamaha. Elvin, Tony, Max and Blakey for Gretsch. Buddy and Krupa for Slingerland. Most of all those guys played Zildjian too. When Bob Zildjian died Sabian changed. Armand died and Craigie is running things. She is probably a lot more corporate and less personable to the staff and the artists. Who knows? Play what sounds good to you because your ears like it. Vinnie endorsed Yamaha recording customs and maple customs for years and used Gretsch in the studio. Porcaro too. Gadd used a Supraphonic before and after his time at Yamaha. Brand loyalty is great but use your ears and not your eyes when picking out gear.
Bro I saw plenty of color sounds and platinums when I started playing in the late 2000s and still see them to this day. And yes they sound terrible lol