What's Your Chosen Ride For Rock?

Maggot

Reaction score
The question says it all. As a guitar player/bass player, I like it when the drummer I'm with plays heavier pingier rides, but when I'm drumming myself, those sound cranky and miserable to me, and I find myself preferring a slightly underpowered ride. Not in the market for a specific ride right now, just wondering what's your poison?

Thinking hard rock, classic rock, punk and indie, but not extreme metal or low-volume acoustic.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been happy with the new Sweet Rides. I can get some good definition out of them if I hit it between the bow and the bell, and they crash really well. The 23's I've played have been much more wobbily and crash better than the 21's. The 21's tend to have a bit more definition.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'm doing an outdoor concert this saturday that requires a strong ride with projection even though I'll be mic'd.
I've chosen my UFiP 21" Experience series Vintage ride 2590 grams, it always does the job well & the roto-cast bell can be heard for miles if you strike it right.

Next in line would be my 21" Sabian AA Bash ride with raw bell, a fantastic clean sound with good bash or crash-ability yet not overly pingy sounding.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I like 22” heavily hammered rides in the 3000-3200 gram range. Most used has been an Istanbul Agop Idris Muhammad ride. Recently started using a Paiste Masters dark crisp, and just picked up a ‘90’s Regular K ride that has potential.

I like the solid stick sound, but prefer a darker sound.

Listening to others play, their cymbals are almost always annoyingly loud and bright in a club.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Medium weight ride should work for you such as a Paiste 2002 Ride, 602 Medium Ride, A Zildjian Medium Ride, K Ride, K Custom Medium Ride.

A good Medium weight ride will give you the definition you need without losing too much stick sound and it won’t feel like a man-hole cover.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was using a 21 Sweet but it didn't have enough stick sound for me. I've been using a 22 Modern Essentials for about 6 months. It's been good. SOmetimes I go with a thinner weight Bos Turk for smaller gigs.

There's so many variables when hearing other guys. Overhead mikes, touch. Of course, I tend to hear more washy rides when guys are unmiked. The other night I heard a guy playing a 24 Paiste big Al. good but bright, no overheads. And last night I heard a guy using a Agop Aaron Sterling with overheads that sounded great..

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For straight rock, I have 2 to choose from - 22” Sabian Paragon and a 24” Agop Xist. Both cut through to define the time and feel with just enough wash. Since I’m no longer playing straight rock, these get little use currently.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Sabian 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride in any of its incarnations: AA, AAX, HH, HHX, doesn't matter. For pop/rock, this is the cymbal of cymbals - in my opinion. Right now, I have only my Sabian 20" HH medium. I like it much.

GeeDeeEmm

+1 !

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m a cymbal enthusiast, so I keep a good many Zildjians around. Depending on what it is, I’ll either use a few vintage As...or some current Ks. Far as “new” Ks, I have a K Heavy 21, K dark med, K light, and K Custom 22. So I choose from those. I’ve also used K Cons. Actually, I’ve used every one in a live setting except for the K Custom 22...but that ride would be incredible to use.

Granted, I’m almost never playing heavy music. You won’t catch me playing prog rock or metal....ever.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sabian 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride in any of its incarnations: AA, AAX, HH, HHX, doesn't matter. For pop/rock, this is the cymbal of cymbals - in my opinion. Right now, I have only my Sabian 20" HH medium. I like it much.

GeeDeeEmm
+2

Older 21" HH version for me. At 3490g a tad heavy, but it will cut without losing any musicality.

At least from where I sit.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
2oo2’s either 24 or 22 ride either one is great with the 22 being a little more versatile imo. I also try and use my 602’s when I can but they don’t cut through as much. I’ve used the 22 ME and the 22 & 24 mediums, the 20 medium for me is usually more of a crash ride

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ohhh . . . I completely forgot about Paiste. I don't use them, but anything in their line made from B8 should be able to cut thru anything on stage. Probably those made from B20, too, but I've zero experience with those.

GeeDeeEmm

dangermoney

Reaction score
Zildjian 20" A Ping Ride (bright) or Zildjian 20" K Ride (med/dark) depending upon genre. The K is my go to cymbal these days. It's so versatile that I can even use it for Cajun dance music ...

cozy4ever

Reaction score
I play a Paiste 2002 Power Ride. I don't get all the Sabian love on this thread, I think they all sound like garbage can lids and frying pans tbh.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get all the Sabian love on this thread, I think they all sound like garbage can lids and frying pans tbh.
[/QUOTE]

in that case, you will love my
20'' sabian AA medium
22'' sabian carmine appiece classic rock ride (carmine is nuts, but the cymbal is ammazing)
24'' zildjian old A

Maggot

Reaction score
I play a Paiste 2002 Power Ride. I don't get all the Sabian love on this thread, I think they all sound like garbage can lids and frying pans tbh.
I like Sabian rides. I've had an XS20 Medium Ride (somewhat more easygoing take on an A ride), an 18" Monarch (trash can lid, but I like it), and a Paragon (frying pan, but when I'm not the drummer, I like it when the drummer is playing a ride that sounds like a frying pan). I've also tried some truly awesome Sabians like the Duo Ride.