What's Your Chosen Ride For Rock?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
20" K Custom dark ride. I don't play much rock anymore but do have a steady gig with an Americana/pop/surf/blues band that does some rock - albeit a large group of acoustic guitars, not distortion guitar rock - and I am using a 22 Bosphorus traditional ride. Nice ping with some wash, great dark crash and a clear bell that cuts.....great for outdoor gigs.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love me some 22" Sabian Paragon for the win.

If not that, then my 20" Zildjian A series. Sounds great with my Yamaha RCs.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a handful of discontinued Paiste rides that I like for louder situations:

22” Signature Dry ride (the name is VERY misleading, it’s not what I’d consider dry at all. “Controlled” maybe, but not dry)

22” Signature Dry Dark ride (this one lives up to the “dry” title)

22” Dimensions Power ride (PING!!!)

I also have a Colorsound 900 Heavy ride that gets used on most of my classic rock gigs. It reminds me of a lighter version of a 2002 Power ride. It’s got a killer bell and can be crashed if needed.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a handful of discontinued Paiste rides that I like for louder situations:

22” Signature Dry ride (the name is VERY misleading, it’s not what I’d consider dry at all. “Controlled” maybe, but not dry)

22” Signature Dry Dark ride (this one lives up to the “dry” title)

22” Dimensions Power ride (PING!!!)

I also have a Colorsound 900 Heavy ride that gets used on most of my classic rock gigs. It reminds me of a lighter version of a 2002 Power ride. It’s got a killer bell and can be crashed if needed.
I second the Sig Dry Ride. I have the 20” version. Really cool cymbal.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I've got a '79 Paiste 2002 20" that sounds great- mellow and woody due to age, but with the definition and power that you'd expect from that classic rock cymbal. I've used it with folk rock and classic rock bands and it sounds great.

I've also heard someone playing what he told me was a "vintage Sabian HH"... and it was probably the greatest sounding cymbal I've ever heard! I've had a hard time tracking one down online though, so I'm not sure with what the price point on one of those would be.

Maggot

Reaction score
I've got a '79 Paiste 2002 20" that sounds great- mellow and woody due to age, but with the definition and power that you'd expect from that classic rock cymbal. I've used it with folk rock and classic rock bands and it sounds great.

I've also heard someone playing what he told me was a "vintage Sabian HH"... and it was probably the greatest sounding cymbal I've ever heard! I've had a hard time tracking one down online though, so I'm not sure with what the price point on one of those would be.
One of these?
https://reverb.com/item/20818892-sabian-21-hh-vintage-ride-cymbal

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a newer Zildjian 22" A Medium ride and it does a lot of things well. Sometimes I wish it had a little more ping to it, but it's not overly washy and it crashes well if I need it to.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i only have 3 rides , but i use a 21'' sabian aa rock ride sometimes
it says rock on the cymbal ....

jb78

Reaction score
20" K Heavy - an older model that's a little lighter than some of the newer ones

larold

Reaction score
I prefer thinner, washier cymbals for rock (think Ringo). Right now, my preferences are an Istanbul Mehmet Mikael Z or a medium-thin old A.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some great rock rides. Depending on volume levels I gigged on my Paiste Dimensions 20" Power Bell Ride or 20" A. Zildjian Ping Ride. I've never gigged with my 22" and 24" 2002 Rides, but I have every reason to believe they would be amazing. I just love playing the 22" at the moment.

Other cool rock rides I've owned are 22" A. Zildjian Ping Rides, 22" Z Light Power Ride, 20" & 22" Paiste Rude Ride/Crash and 20" Paiste 2002 Power Bell Ride.

Reaction score
I have 2 main rock rides one for larger rooms or outdoors, and one for smaller rooms.
The large room ride is a Paiste 22" Medium Light Traditional, heard here...

The small room ride is a 20" Paiste Dark Energy Light Dark Ride, heard here...

Both have a wonderful combination of blend and cut.
MSG

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I was gigging I used a Paiste Sound Creation dry ride , difficult to find used but it had everything. Current offerings of Zildjian Sweet , medium, K Custom dark , I 20thru 22 should do the trick. As well as Paiste 2002, or 602 medium or Sabian raw bell offerings. You might also hunt down a used Zildjian K Heavy or a true K Custom.

Latest posts