What's Your Chosen Ride For Rock?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
When I was gigging I used a Paiste Sound Creation dry ride , difficult to find used but it had everything. Current offerings of Zildjian Sweet , medium, K Custom dark , I 20thru 22 should do the trick. As well as Paiste 2002, or 602 medium or Sabian raw bell offerings. You might also hunt down a used Zildjian K Heavy or a true K Custom.
Probably very difficult to find used because there isn't such a model. There are Sound Formula Dry Rides, and Sound Creation Dark Rides, and Dry rides in other series. But if a Sound Creation Dry Ride ever existed news hasn't reached me. And I do try and keep my ear to the ground. :glasses8:

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably very difficult to find used because there isn't such a model. There are Sound Formula Dry Rides, and Sound Creation Dark Rides, and Dry rides in other series. But if a Sound Creation Dry Ride ever existed news hasn't reached me. And I do try and keep my ear to the ground. :glasses8:
Steve, you are correct sir. Sound Formula I stand corrected lol.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Steve, you are correct sir. Sound Formula I stand corrected lol.
I have the same cymbal and love it. K ride falls in a pretty similar weight and feel.

I've had two HH RBDRs and they just feel so heavy to me. I know people love them, maybe I'm just a more medium weight kind of guy.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've also heard someone playing what he told me was a "vintage Sabian HH"... and it was probably the greatest sounding cymbal I've ever heard! I've had a hard time tracking one down online though, so I'm not sure with what the price point on one of those would be.
Ha! I think I might have one of these — not sure of the age, but it’s an older 20” HH Medium Ride (~2300g, if I remember right). I picked it up for $100 on Music Go Round, and it is a GEM.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
vintage ride vs Vintage Ride: what's in a name?

There are Sabian rides from the HH series which might be described as vintage if you set the year for "vintage" as early 1980s. Then there are Sabian rides from the HH series which are a specific model called Vintage Ride. Those come in 21" and have been around for some years. Certainly since 2009 since one is reviewed in Nov 2009:

Described as large bell and high shape (aka higher curvature of the bow or higher profile in my preferred parlance).

This sounds like the description of a Rock Ride to me -- as in the A Zildjian 21" Rock Ride, which had various Sabian versions in 20", 21" and 22" in both the AA and HH series. Lots of series specific models and diameters and years in production to be sorted out...

...and yes the early to mid 1980s HH 20" Medium Ride models tended to be fairly portly (2300g and maybe even 2400g) and might fit the bill.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
My current go to ride is a 21" AAX X-Plosion ride. Perfect balance of ping and wash and can be crashed too.

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I use a combination of 4 rides for heavier music.
Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride for when I want a noisy ride with plenty of wash
Zildjian 20" Ping Ride when I want definition
Paiste 20" Ride to use when flying as it is lighter to carry
Scymtek 22" Xtreme Ride when I just want a hooligan.

Out of the 4, the Ping ride I find most suitable :)

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
For rock? Perfectly happy with my 22” Sabian Paragon. Haters gone hate, but if it’s good enough for Neil....

AustinFitz

Reaction score
My 21" Sabian AA Dry Ride has been working really nicely as an all around rock ride. It's an older model probably from the late '80s or '90s.

My all time favorite ride would have to be my old 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Jazz Ride. I'm still kicking myself for selling it.

markkarj

Reaction score
I'm not sure I have a "rock" ride per se, but this seems to be the quintessential sound (at least to my ear) starting at 1:45

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K 20" Crash/Ride has been my go-to rock ride most of the last 10 years. Prior to that, it was a couple of 20" A mediums at different times and a 20" Ping for many years.

I recently acquired a 22" K Dark Medium (again) and I'm looking forward to taking that out. It really is a rock ride with a jazz soul...or vice versa.

Latest posts