header.nohb.html

What's Your Day Gig?

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Retired Operating Engineer NYC.

We run all the heavy equipment and cranes on construction sights. I did it all, from 800’ below Manhattan on the Water Tunnel project to about the same height above Manhattan on tower cranes and everything in between.

The coolest job was taking down the old Yankee Stadium, forgive me Yankee fans, but everyday was a thrill. Here’s a small snippet of the last of the grandstand being dropped -

Very cool! I started my career in the construction industry with a contractor in Port Newark, NJ. All of our guys were from Local 825.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Network Architect for a global ICT company... specializing in VoIP, UC and Cloud.

badknees

Reaction score
Worked as number cruncher at a large company for 32 years. Retired the last three years. Hopefully I have enough in savings to not work again (or at least not work where I don't enjoy it).

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Director of maintenance for the flight department of the Keller Companies ,Inc.
I don't make the drum shells, I just maintain the airplanes.

Ha! Do you get employee discounts for shells? And do these airplanes fly the shells around to all the important drum makers in the world?

chollyred2020

Reaction score
Quality Assurance manager, Process Engineer, Safety Manager, and generally whatever no one else wants to do for a warehouse/distribution center.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
High school English and Philosophy teacher. Teaching remotely while my kids are learning remotely and playing as much as possible in between those google meets! Always on mute, of course!
Remote teaching is tough. I was one of the first in my part of the state to do this in a college composition class broadcast to three different high school classes in small towns 20 miles away. I had a neck mic and a camera that automatically followed me. The kids had cameras on their class and mics on the desks in front of them. Fiber optic cables carried the signals back and forth. We would send papers back and forth by scanning and then sending. I did this for about 14 years. The college even send two of us to Manhattan to do a presentation on it to a conference. The high point was staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania (of Chattanooga Choo Choo fame). Humor makes remote teaching less stressful, as you know. Good luck!

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Do you get employee discounts for shells? And do these airplanes fly the shells around to all the important drum makers in the world?
No discount, and they don't transport the shells on the planes. Not nearly enough cargo space. I have seen shell samples sometimes.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I own a swim school.

Nice. I thought about doing the same when i retire. I did a lot of consultant design work for Kids First Swim Schools. They did a few in NJ. I think I am still on retainer with them, LOL. There are many other franchises for that type of thing though.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
High school art teacher and department head. Before that worked at a few art galleries and art supply stores, did some shepherding for half a year in the desert, and taught art classes on a psychedelic painted bus.

My
Nice. I thought about doing the same when i retire. I did a lot of consultant design work for Kids First Swim Schools. They did a few in NJ. I think I am still on retainer with them, LOL. There are many other franchises for that type of thing though.

You’d be my competitor, not good. :)

Kids First has actually gone out of business in one of my area as well as in Maryland.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My wife’s an art teacher in a semi-bad neighborhood. She loves the kids and hates the administration.
Can't say I'm in a bad (or even semi-bad) neighbourhood, but I can relate to the rest. Teaching art to so many wonderful students has been a blessing, and I'm grateful every day for my job. The politics of the job on the other hand can wear on you though, and I often feel like I'm doing my best work not thanks to the administration and the board, but in spite of them.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My

You’d be my competitor, not good. :)

Kids First has actually gone out of business in one of my area as well as in Maryland.

I kinda some what knew that. It’s been a while since my last project with them. The franchise owners down here and I’d have to assume elsewhere are still operation. Well, they were before COVID. I hope your doing g ok with your faculty.