What's your drumhead of choice for Ludwig Classic Maples?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Classic Maple owners!
What are you using and what sounds best to you on the Classic Maples (batter & reso)?

I mostly play rock and I'm using Aquarian right now. When I got my kit they came with Remo's from the factory and I really didn't like the sound & feel (they sounded weak & felt sloppy) so I changed them out. Maybe factory heads are of lower quality but they were USA made Remo's. Besides the Aquarian's and those factory Remo's, I really haven't tried anything else on the Classic Maples. I'd love to know what you guys like!

8", 10", 12" & 13" toms:
Super 2 coated on the batters and Hi-frequency coated on the resos.
*Super 2's are double ply 7 & 5 mil.
*Hi-frequency are single ply 7 mil.

14" & 16" floor toms:
Response 2 coated for the batters and Texture coated for the resos.
*Response 2's are double ply 7 & 7 mil.
*Texture coated are single ply 10 mil.

22" bass:
Impact II for the batter,
factory Remo with Ludwig logo on the reso.
*Impact II is very similar to the Superkick 10 with a thicker internal muffler.

6", "8, & 10" rotos:
Texture coated

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
When I tune mine up like Bonham, I use coated Vintage Emperors over coated Ambassadors.

When I tune them low, fat, and want some rock slap/attack, I love smooth white Emperors over smooth white Ambassadors.

Usually I keep a coated Powerstroke 4 on the bass batter. It records very well.

Reddy

Reaction score
Either Response 2 or Emperor on top. Classic clear or Ambassador on bottom. Super kick 2 on bass batter. All clear heads except for the kick reso.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm using the stock clear Emperor/clear Ambassador combo on my 10-ply Exotics. They sound great.

I also have a standard 7-ply CM set that shipped with coated Ambassadors top and bottom. They sound equally great.

Bass drums all shipped with clear PS3 batters and smooth white PS3 resos. All I did was change out the PS3 resos for the older Ludwig Weather Master smooth white resos they used to sell. I prefer the more open sound of them - one felt strip and I'm good.

Classic Maples are extremely versatile drums.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weathermaster coated heavy. I stocked up when Ludwig announced they were going to stop making heads.
Wise move. I have several Ludwig snares with the WM coated heavy heads, and they are my favorite snare head.

As an aside, it looks like they are making them again, but they're pricey:

jb78

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coated Emperors on all toms. Powerstroke 3 on bass.
I have exactly the same and have tried a handful of combos. I like the coated emperors best with coated ambassadors underneath.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have exactly the same and have tried a handful of combos. I like the coated emperors best with coated ambassadors underneath.

Absolutely agree. I don't own a set of Classic Maples any longer, but when I did that was THE combination that worked the best.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Either coated Vintage Emps, or Ambassadors on the toms. I always use EMAD style on the bass, either EMAD2, Heavyweight, or the GMAD if I want a single ply (which is basically never).

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still experimenting with mine but my band's opinion is they like the factory reso's and I have Evans Coated G1's on the batter side. Very pleasing.

This combination also works well on my Yamaha MCA's.

I did try the Remo Colortones' (emps) but it didn't quite sound like what I expected. Back to coated heads.

The Colortones worked great on my Yamaha Live Customs, however.

Sorry for the thread jack.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wise move. I have several Ludwig snares with the WM coated heavy heads, and they are my favorite snare head.

As an aside, it looks like they are making them again, but they're pricey:

When it was announced Ludwig would stop making heads I read that Ludwig would continue to make the 14" for their snares, but those prices are ridiculous. Does Remo make the 14" and brand them Ludwig or are they the real Ludwig with shallow collars?

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been enjoying the stock clear Emperors and Ambassadors with the stock PS3. If/when I upgrade, probably will go with coated Emps and coated PS3. For now, they rumble just fine.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I tune mine up like Bonham, I use coated Vintage Emperors over coated Ambassadors.

When I tune them low, fat, and want some rock slap/attack, I love smooth white Emperors over smooth white Ambassadors.

Usually I keep a coated Powerstroke 4 on the bass batter. It records very well.
I love that combo.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried the coated vintage ambs or emps. How do they differ from the standard coated?