What's your drumhead of choice for Ludwig Classic Maples?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried them all and always come back to Aquarian. I like the clear response 2's. Just enough muffling from the 2 ply head. They add some nice low end as well. Aquarians just feel good when you hit them. Remo and Ludwigs always feel a little stiff at the same tension. Evans I used to like but I feel they lost something years ago, maybe even before the guitar string company took over.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Right now I've got Vintage Coated Emperors over the stock Ludwig resos,
and an Emad batter and P3 Felt Tone Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
only knowing your room would anyone be able to gauge pick and chose their favorites
(and then it wouldn't be yours)

So when are you inviting us over?
what time do we eat
and yea or nay on bringing swimming trunks.

Last edited:

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom Batter side: Remo Renaissance Emperor or Coated Emperors
Tom Reso side: Remo clear Ambassadors or clear Diplomats
Bass/kick batter: Evans EQ 3 clear
Bass/kick front/reso: Remo smooth white PS3 or Ludwig stock

No muffling on anything.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have loved the Ludwig weather master coated heads on my classic maples. My 2012 set is on it's second set of them but I am bummed they don't make them anymore. Not sure what I would replace them with. Vintage coated ambassadors? I have one of those on the snare and I like it. For some reason, I never cared for the weathermaster head on the snare. Love them on the toms though.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
only knowing your room would anyone be able to gauge pick and chose their favorites
(and then it wouldn't be yours)

So when are you inviting us over?
what time do we eat
and yea or nay on bringing swimming trunks.
This is a "general" question thread and I'm expecting "general" responses without any analysis of the playing environment. I just want to know what others use and like. I know your expectation is for me to replace all the heads. No!
Dinner's at 8, forget the swimming trunks, it's been raining here all day (week)!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage Emperor are two 7.5 mil plies vs two 7 mil plies on the standard Emperor

Vintage Ambassador are 2-ply (a 7.5 mil ply and a 3 mil ply) vs a single 10 mil ply on the standard Ambassador
for a while I used Vintage Ambassadors instead of Weathermaster coated heavy heads because they were more easily available. I liked them, but not quite as much as the Ludwig heads. If I ever run out of the Weathermasters (and hopefully I never will), I would use the Vintage Ambassadors again. The biggest problem was the coating on the Remo heads doesn't last nearly as long as the coating on the Weathermaster heads.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a "general" question thread and I'm expecting "general" responses without any analysis of the playing environment. I just want to know what others use and like. I know your expectation is for me to replace all the heads. No!
Dinner's at 8, forget the swimming trunks, it's been raining here all day (week)!
What's for dinner?

Reactions: JDA

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For Classic Maple owners!
What are you using and what sounds best to you on the Classic Maples (batter & reso)?

I mostly play rock and I'm using Aquarian right now. When I got my kit they came with Remo's from the factory and I really didn't like the sound & feel (they sounded weak & felt sloppy) so I changed them out. Maybe factory heads are of lower quality but they were USA made Remo's. Besides the Aquarian's and those factory Remo's, I really haven't tried anything else on the Classic Maples. I'd love to know what you guys like!

8", 10", 12" & 13" toms:
Super 2 coated on the batters and Hi-frequency coated on the resos.
*Super 2's are double ply 7 & 5 mil.
*Hi-frequency are single ply 7 mil.

14" & 16" floor toms:
Response 2 coated for the batters and Texture coated for the resos.
*Response 2's are double ply 7 & 7 mil.
*Texture coated are single ply 10 mil.

22" bass:
Impact II for the batter,
factory Remo with Ludwig logo on the reso.
*Impact II is very similar to the Superkick 10 with a thicker internal muffler.

6", "8, & 10" rotos:
Texture coated
I’ve been using Aquarian Studio X’s, coated on top, clear on the bottom. But, my MC’s are proving to be a bit mellower than I expected for maple shells. So, I’m thinking of something a little more lively. Maybe Texture Coated or, dare I, Classic Clear.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When it was announced Ludwig would stop making heads I read that Ludwig would continue to make the 14" for their snares, but those prices are ridiculous. Does Remo make the 14" and brand them Ludwig or are they the real Ludwig with shallow collars?
Worth it IMO.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Aquarian Studio X’s, coated on top, clear on the bottom. But, my MC’s are proving to be a bit mellower than I expected for maple shells. So, I’m thinking of something a little more lively. Maybe Texture Coated or, dare I, Classic Clear.
I tried the texture coated (I took one from a snare and put it on the 14" floor tom). It was too lively for my taste! I need the two plies for a deeper sound. I'm sure it would be fine on the smaller sizes though.
Classic clears I guess would be just a tad brighter than the TC's!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
When it was announced Ludwig would stop making heads I read that Ludwig would continue to make the 14" for their snares, but those prices are ridiculous. Does Remo make the 14" and brand them Ludwig or are they the real Ludwig with shallow collars?
They are legit Weather Masters, though Ludwig does sometimes use rebranded Remo Ambassadors with a Ludwig logo these days. Easy to spot the difference. I like them both, but I appreciate the slightly thicker coating on the heavy Weather Masters.

20210418_173627.jpg

5.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know don't you if you set the drums up by the pool they'll sound different

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not coming over unless we can drag them out of the house.

you take 1/2 I'll take the other..

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are legit Weather Masters, though Ludwig does sometimes use rebranded Remo Ambassadors with a Ludwig logo these days. Easy to spot the difference. I like them both, but I appreciate the slightly thicker coating on the heavy Weather Masters.

View attachment 510637
View attachment 510639
Sorry but those Ludwig Remo's don't even come close. I had them from the factory and laughed when I heard them. I swear they sounded just like the Chinese Remo UT heads. The Weather masters feel and sound as if they were born together with those snares!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry but those Ludwig Remo's don't even come close. I had them from the factory and laughed when I heard them. I swear they sounded just like the Chinese Remo UT heads. The Weather masters feel and sound as if they were born together with those snares!
They are Remo USA.