What's your drumhead of choice for Ludwig Classic Maples?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the heads sound different if you open a window?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know don't you if you set the drums up by the pool they'll sound different
I was thinking of putting them in the pool. Floating! Like a mini barge or something like that.

Reactions: JDA

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but those Ludwig Remo's don't even come close. I had them from the factory and laughed when I heard them. I swear they sounded just like the Chinese Remo UT heads. The Weather masters feel and sound as if they were born together with those snares!
I know! Mine say USA as well but they sound like the UT's. (at least to me)
I love Weather masters!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not coming over unless we can drag them out of the house.

you take 1/2 I'll take the other..
Good luck! Bring a crane and a crew and I'll watch!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I'm at a loss.. Put the heads the manufacturer shipped them with back on.
You think they cut corners

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried the texture coated (I took one from a snare and put it on the 14" floor tom). It was too lively for my taste! I need the two plies for a deeper sound. I'm sure it would be fine on the smaller sizes though.
Classic clears I guess would be just a tad brighter than the TC's!
I have Morello sizes, Fab 22” with matching 6.5x14 snare. If you need overtone control (take out the highs), but, want to preserve tone and tunability, the Studio X’s do that nicely.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Morello sizes, Fab 22” with matching 6.5x14 snare. If you need overtone control (take out the highs), but, want to preserve tone and tunability, the Studio X’s do that nicely.
I think you told me that at some point last year and I said I would try them. I never did! I have to put those on my drum to do list!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Classic Maple owners!
What are you using and what sounds best to you on the Classic Maples (batter & reso)?
Actually, the Ludwig kit has been sitting in bags for a couple of years now. Just too into the Sonor kit to bother changing out and life's kinda taken my attention away from the drums lately, as well.
However, you asked for a head setup, so here's what's on my kit....

18" bass - Remo Fiberskyn 3 batter, Remo Skyntone resonant

10"/14" toms - Coated Ludwig Weathermasters; Heavy batter, Medium resonant

13x3 snare drum - Attack Thinskyn 3 with the second ply and "Gorilla Snot" muffling ring removed, on batter side. Stock Ludwig snare side.
I've also swapped snare wires between that drum and a 13x5 Tama Stagestar I've also got. Now the Ludwig has a 20 strand snare and the Tama has a 12. Both drums seem to benefit from the swap.

Everything is played wide open.

Elvis

Last edited:

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Ludwig kit has been sitting in bags for a couple of years now. Just too into the Sonor kit to bother changing out and life's kinda taken my attention away from the drums lately, as well.
However, you asked for a head setup, so here's what's on my kit....

18" bass - Remo Fiberskyn 3 batter, Remo Skyntone resonant

10"/14" toms - Coated Ludwig Weathermasters; Heavy batter, Medium resonant

13x3 snare drum - Attack Thinskyn 3 with the second ply and "Gorilla Snot" muffling ring removed, on batter side. Stock Ludwig snare side.
I've also swapped snare wires between that drum and a 13x5 Tama Stagestar I've also got. Now the Ludwig has a 20 strand snare and the Tama has a 12. Both drums seem to benefit from the swap.

Everything is played wide open.

Elvis

Love this kit. How beautiful. Wowzerz!!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking a different direction with heads. Something different & unexpected! I had previously posted on another thread that it was time to redo my bass head. I have an old Aquarian Impact II that's gone through 2 kits. I never really liked the "almost muted" sound that it produces. I want slightly more tone & sustain. I'm sticking with Aquarian because I like what they offer, the collars, the sound and the impeccable build quality. I'm going to try out the Black Reflector Super Kick II for the batter which is a 17 mil dual ply but it's brighter and has a thinner felt strip. For the reso it's gonna be a non-ported Black glass regulator. I think for an 18x22, this will be a good combo. From the sound files I heard, it's what really sounded like what I want. I also think that the Black will be a great look for Vintage Black Oyster. I could have done White but no! No more vintage look! (I'm going to put the 70's Ludwig logo on the reso to boot!). I'm also going to experiment with those Black Reflector batters for the toms. They sound incredibly punchy but bright at the same time. You would figure that 17 mil would choke a drum but it doesn't at all. (I currently use 12 mil batters). Eric Moore uses these on his toms and they sound pretty awesome! I'll post results as I go along since I haven't seen anyone else try these on the Classic Maples.

As for the looks (and for reference purposes), This is what a Classic Maple bass drum looks like with a glass black reso with the other Ludwig logo, (Even though it's a picture with an Evans head, not mine, I'm waiting for my Aquarian to arrive), I found this picture online. Credit given to whoever took it and posted it. I know some people don't like black heads but to me the black heads scream "Rock" and white heads scream "Jazz": :)

Screenshot 2021-08-05 015709.jpg

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great head combo LRod. SK and a Regulator go together like peanut butter and jelly.
...and feel free to use this pic of a real black Ludwig BD head, any time you want...

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great head combo LRod. SK and a Regulator go together like peanut butter and jelly.
...and feel free to use this pic of a real black Ludwig BD head, any time you want...

Aha!! Will do, thank you! Didn't know you had one that way. Nice!!