What's your favorite snare drum?

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Hey all! We had favorite drum stick, favorite drum brush, now we have favorite snare drum!

My favorite snare drum is by far the TAMA Woodworks 14x6.5 Poplar snare. It has so much rich tone to it, even with the stock heads. I think it sounds amazing no matter how you tune it.

Post your favorite snare drum and why you like it so much below! \/

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
easy answer.... all of them!

Depends on the application. No way for me to pick just one. I prefer metal over wood and copper of all the metals, but have a wide assortment of all types of construction and like every one of them. So I guess I did not fit this question now that I think about it!

dyland

Reaction score
Right now my favorite is my '65 WMP Powertone, 5x14. I recently brought up the bass drum and put Vintage Emperors on my Club Customs and the dry crack of the PT compliments the rest of the set very nicely.

davidh

Reaction score
I have had just one for quite a while now - a 1968 Acrolite with a P83 - but recently got an early 60s Premier 10 lug wood HiFi as it was identical to my first ever drum buy, but not yet gigged it to know if it beats the Acro

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s a toss between a run of the mill tama steel with center bead 14x6.5 or my dw 14x6.5 black nickel over brass with tube lugs and die cast hoops. No other snare has seen a stage since buying the dw 8 years ago.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
in some ways you MAKE it your favorite snare..

Gretsch wood 8L RB wmp 5X14 from 1965 gumwood/maple
WFL 6L 6.5 X 14 from err 1948 1953 mahogany w /rings
Ludwig Pioneer 6L 5 X 14 wood duco from 1961 Mape/Mahog? w/ rings

Quit while ahead
Grass isn't always greener in the neighbors yard
no one can or does own or has tried them all

JDAbabySet.jpg

Last edited:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
tough question! My favorite vintage, my favorite new, best-looking, best sound, best all-around workhorse....

Favorite vintage: L&L WMP
Favorite new: WFLIII BOP
Best-looking: BDC Bluebird
Best sound & all a
IMG_4958.JPG
BDCO_BLUEBIRD_14X6-1__35065.1576865632.jpg
IMG_1517.JPG
round workhorse: my 1966 Supra (no photo, y'all now what that one looks like)

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will answer with my favourite wood shell and favourite metal shell snare .

Wood - 6 x 14 Noble and Cooley Walnut SS - steambent walnut shell - 8 lugs - gloss lacquer- this was #4 in the first run of walnut SS snares made by N&C

Metal -5 x 14 Ludwig Black Beauty 100th anniversary badge , engraved by John Aldridge , brass lugs , P76 strainer and hoops and tension rods

Attachments

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned a lot of snares and still have a nice collection of mostly decent and vintage USA snares ranging from a 20's BB and solid shell mahogany Ludwigs, 30's Slingy COB, 40's WMP Radio King, 50's Gretsch 3 plies, 60's COB Supras, 4160's and Jazz Fest, 70's LM402, 80's/90's BB's and bronzes, DW maples and Craviottos and some boutique snares, as well as MIJ, homemade snares, marchers and converted toms.

I like all and love most of them, but I can't play all of them all the time. The simple answer is whichever one I'm currently playing depending on my mood......this week, its an 80's 5x14 hammered bronze Ludwig w/tube lugs.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Today? I've been using a 6.5x14 Black nickel over brass that I assembled myself with tube lugs and an inde throw off. I added die cast hoops last night to experiment with and I think 42 strand snares are next

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snare harems are real! Their reason for being is that we don’t have to pick a favorite. It could be a stack of 3 snares or 53, but it means the favorite thing is having the choice among them instead of just one.

Same with cymbals and drum kits. People here often have a collection for a reason.