What's your favorite snare drum?

phdamage

Reaction score
after all the snares i bought in the last year (there were a lot!), it may still actually be my N&C Solid maple. Though some serious contenders these days: Duluth Bronze with bronze hoops; Gretsch cast aluminum and surprisingly my Sonor Performer ferromang seems to have edged out the Kep black iron i bought.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score

Monday317

Reaction score
Hey all! We had favorite drum stick, favorite drum brush, now we have favorite snare drum!

My favorite snare drum is by far the TAMA Woodworks 14x6.5 Poplar snare. It has so much rich tone to it, even with the stock heads. I think it sounds amazing no matter how you tune it.

Post your favorite snare drum and why you like it so much below! \/
Mine is the Pearl Omar Hakim Signature; a 13” x 5” African Mahogany unit that, with proper heads and tuning, can be made to sound like anything. It can easily mimic a 14” maple, can fake a 15” with a little work, or sound like a 12” accent snare cranked. On it’s own with normal tuning, the mahogany shell gives it a unique timbre, sounding deeper than you’d expect from its actual size. And the 13” diameter is a bit easier to deal with for the shorter basher like moi.

IMHO, it sounds best with an Evans J1 batter, which opens up its sonic potential the best. Remo Renaissance heads, batter and reso are extraordinary in tone though the drum will ring some and need muffling.

gra7

Reaction score
For me it’s a Yamaha Brass Recording Custom - 13x6.5”

I will be getting a new 13” snare in 2021 - either a Tama G-Maple or a Tama Starclassic - and that may become my new favorite..

lucky23

Reaction score
I've gone through many snare drums in the past 30yrs, but the one I always keep is my '66 Supraphonic.

Vicey

Reaction score
I could short list it to ten if you pressed me, and I could assign MVP awards (most versatile, funkiest pop, gooshiest slap...), but that would be like asking me what my favorite fishing lure is. Which species? What season is it? What type of water body? Time of day? Water clarity? On and on...
What genre, venue, band leader, heads, etc.?
I just can't do it. Impossible.

(FYI: if I were to award an Acrolite Versatility Award to a single fishing lure for all-season use in Texas, it would be the Boogle Bug Pearly White Amnesia Bug. I've even caught a small striped bass on one at night.)
If only snare drums were as cheap as fishing lures and fit as easily into a tackle box.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is one of the five TAMA EXOTIX LE Bubinga snares I have stored in my closet that has never been played. I think they called this one the Vulcanic. They are all 14 x 6.5

Favorite I wish I owned, but an 8 x 14.

zep1

Reaction score
I guess my all-time favorite is the wood Dyna-Sonic. I got one of the reissues in December of 2019 and it immediately knocked my brass-on-brass Black Beauty off the stand and into its case. I've brought the BB back onto the stand a couple of times since, but the pull of the Dyna's sensitivity, response and sheer power (which still surprises me) is just too strong. Plus, its maple/poplar shell allows it to blend perfectly with my Legacy Maple kit.

View attachment 484435
Yep! That's the one. While I play mostly Classic Rock and Blues I'd have to go with my late 60's wood Dynasonic.