What's your favorite snare drum?

Slingwig26

Reaction score
Good Day to you All,
My favorite snare is my b-day present to myself in Nov. 2014. a 5.5X13 Ludwig Porto-Pak Transition Badge 1958 WMP , love it and get compliments all the time.
I will post a pic at some point.
Among a rotating cast of characters......
Also, love my LM400, always get compliments on snare sound from engineers and audience members and it feels right, sounds great from my chair and it is not heavy (to carry) ((gettin old))
I would really like a Sonor Benny Greb. Like the sound on videos.
Wish I had a lot of the ones listed in this thread!

JMS

Reaction score
I have a Black Beauty knock off by Pork Pie that I like and my son has a very nice late 80's or early 90's Yamaha Birch Recording Custom

Sammybear

Reaction score
I did a rough tally of all the responses. If you go by count only, so far the winner is Ludwig: 1st = 6.5 Black Beauty, 2nd = Acrolite, 3rd = tie between LM400 & LM402. I've personally owned all 3 of those and wished I had them all back. Currently play and split my time between a 6.5" Copperphonic (Raw) and 5" Classic Maple. Really do miss the LM400.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of this past year, it's this one...because it's the only snare I can play in these past 12 months without disturbing all the neighbors around me!
View attachment 484257
I have that in the 3 zone version and have played it with Superior Drummer. Although nothing matches a real snare drum, I have to say it's rather nice, playing a collection of snares I wouldn't otherwise have, in a very high quality sampled environment, and (of course) the sounds can be altered/swapped/replaced/blended at a moment's notice.

That pad also feels really good to play.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a rough tally of all the responses. If you go by count only, so far the winner is Ludwig: 1st = 6.5 Black Beauty, 2nd = Acrolite, 3rd = tie between LM400 & LM402. I've personally owned all 3 of those and wished I had them all back. Currently play and split my time between a 6.5" Copperphonic (Raw) and 5" Classic Maple. Really do miss the LM400.
You'd think the Acro wouldn't place, after the thread where people dissed on it so hard. One reason to not take "favorite/worst" threads too seriously. It depends who's replying and when. Always better to use your own ears.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
1979 Ludwig 6.5 x 14 Black Beauty I purchased new and still own.
I would LOVE a 6.5x14 Black beauty, but I don't have that kind of money. I am only 14 and by the time I got into drumming, those snares were out of production :( Great work keeping the box, that snare is only going to go up in value over time. I wish I had the money for a black beauty. :(

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I've gone through a lot of snares in my time, but my 1970 5x14 Slingerland Gene Krupa 10-lug Sound King is my all-around favorite. Unfortunately, a janiitor knocked it over in the college band room, and caved it in, right on the snare butt, so the drum was never the same, even after it was repaired. Would love to find a 12-lug chrome Spitfire someday.

Krupa Sound King.png

Last edited:

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! We had favorite drum stick, favorite drum brush, now we have favorite snare drum!

My favorite snare drum is by far the TAMA Woodworks 14x6.5 Poplar snare. It has so much rich tone to it, even with the stock heads. I think it sounds amazing no matter how you tune it.

Post your favorite snare drum and why you like it so much below! \/
I must admit that I have never played a Sensitone, Black Beauty and have never seen a Noble and Cooley but over the years I've had about 10 snares. I usually had two full size kits around but a few years back decided to downsize due to my age. I ended up with a Sonor Safari which I think was my best buy quality, sound and price wise. The snare while good doesn't really have depth .. it's more like a Piccolo. I used it for Jazz. I also have a 69/70 MIJ Pearl/Coronet 10 lug heavy chrome 14x5 that I use for Country and Soft Rock. It certainly does the job but even with 10 mil batter and a Puresound 30 wire strainer it's not really as sensitive as I'd like.... I have Osteo in fingers, hands and wrists.
Last spring I began a search and settled on a Mapex Brass Cat. Our local dealer didn't stock one so I ordered from my goto online dealer with the guarantee of satisfaction. When it arrived it sounded great right out of the box with it's coated Amb. I've since used Remo Diplomat FiberSkyn and Evans UV1 heads and no matter what I put on it sounds great. I was having issues with my other two snares in that I had to play them harder especially to get buzz rolls and keep my left hand..
trad grip..going. That's no longer a concern as The Cat makes it a cinch. I'm guessing the 45 degree edges, thin 1.2mm shell and the double adjustable snare control with brass strainer all contribute. I can tune it anywhere in a minute.
Maybe this unit should be renamed
"The Seniors Special" because it's so easy to play soft or kick butt.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
I've gone through a lot of snares in my time, but my 1970 5x14 Slingerland Gene Krupa 10-lug Sound King is my all-around favorite. Unfortunately, a janiitor knocked it over in the college band room, and caved it in, right on the snare butt, so the drum was never the same, even after it was repaired.

View attachment 484705
R.I.P 1970 5x14 Slingerland Gene Krupa 10-lug Sound King snare. Loved by JohnnyVibesAZ for all of time. May your soul fly free.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gone through a lot of snares in my time, but my 1970 5x14 Slingerland Gene Krupa 10-lug Sound King is my all-around favorite. Unfortunately, a janiitor knocked it over in the college band room, and caved it in, right on the snare butt, so the drum was never the same, even after it was repaired.

View attachment 484705
They're not too hard to find. I liked it more than a BB but the throw-off went out and the hole pattern makes it a pain to replace.

Jesse Segovia

Reaction score
I'm just an occasional drummer and I don't own one anymore but in my opinion, the Ludwig Supraphonic, 5 or 6½, is the very best sounding rock snare drum ever. Led Zep, Van Halen and a hundred other rock drummers make these things sound awesome. Jason Bonham's Black Country Communion DW snare is obviously a Supraphonic clone - he sounds just like his dad on their excellent live album.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE a 6.5x14 Black beauty, but I don't have that kind of money. I am only 14 and by the time I got into drumming, those snares were out of production :( Great work keeping the box, that snare is only going to go up in value over time. I wish I had the money for a black beauty. :(
Black Beauties are still being made, new. They're on the expensive side, but not out of reach and if you save up/find a good used one, it's yours!

signals91

Reaction score
My favorite all-around snare my 5.5 x 15 Beier metal snare. Such a tank, but sounds amazing!