Whats your favorite tool in your drumming toolbox?

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As the question implies, what is your favorite rudimential tool you like to use when playing, particularly fills. Mine would be using diddles in my phrasing. Either as a lead into a pattern, or thrown in the middle of a pattern to add a little texture. Diddle exercises are what I used to do in high school to strengthen my left hand during my lessons and it just somehow became a fixture in my playing 25 years later. I also like going from 16ths to sextuplets through a phrase as well to help drive the beat into the next part of the song. Kinda like the break in the middle of Far Cry by Rush.

cruddola

Reaction score
As the question implies, what is your favorite rudimential tool you like to use when playing, particularly fills. Mine would be using diddles in my phrasing. Either as a lead into a pattern, or thrown in the middle of a pattern to add a little texture. Diddle exercises are what I used to do in high school to strengthen my left hand during my lessons and it just somehow became a fixture in my playing 25 years later. I also like going from 16ths to sextuplets through a phrase as well to help drive the beat into the next part of the song. Kinda like the break in the middle of Far Cry by Rush.
I like to play 7/8 and 5/4 exercises on the brushes.