What's your latest drum purchase?

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
New Ludwig 5”x14” Bronze Beauty Snare Drum! After reading the posts on here about Ludwig no longer selling bronze snare drums, I had to buy one and this was my choice. I’ve played tons of Ludwig snare drums throughout the years, but none were actually mine. This is my first bronze snare drum, my first 5” deep snare drum, and my first Ludwig brand snare drum! I’ve got to say, I absolutely love the sound of this thing! I’m not too happy with the throw off though and will replace it with a Dunnett in time. Maybe some diecast hoops too. But I did manage to get this for $60 below cost. :)

I have the 14x6.5 version of this drum it's absolutely stunning an awesome. put a set of vintage hoops on it which allowed the lug tension rods to align perfectly, A P85 throw off,P33 diecast buttplate and a tone control muffler.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got hired to play for a country/southern rock artist. The cymbals I currently own just didn’t sound the way I wanted for this gig, so I got some AAX’s to help handle the job.

• 14" AAX X-Celerator Hats
  • 17" AAX X-Plosion Fast Crash
  • 19" AAX X-Plosion Fast Crash
  • 18” AAX X-Plosion Ozone
  • 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride
  • 10" AAX Air Splash

• D2A743B1-14CA-40CF-8DA2-BD4DDA697B1C.jpeg

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And be aware that the die cast hoops will significantly dry up your tone, not sure if that's what you're going for. I don't think I would like die cast hoops on my bronze Ludwig.
You are 110% right about the diecast hoops on the 5x14 Bronze Beauty! I usually like diecast hoops on my snares, but not this time. Never have I ever heard a drum‘s sound get so ruined just by changing hoops. The 2.3mm hoops are staying on it for good!

I love the Dunnett throw off though, we can agree to disagree on that one lol.

Kenwood

Reaction score
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l16001.jpg
00o0o_jJMQFVJXNLfz_0yC0t2_600x450.jpg

My last buys were all within a day or two of one another
first was the 18"Ludwig floor tom in butcher block to add to my orphan made kit
second was an eBay auction win for the retired Carlton marching bass to put with my others
and finally these mello yellowed WMP keystone Ludwig players from my local Craig's listings to match a classic snare I have owned for years

Last edited:

Browny

Reaction score
Picked up a beater kit to so the Radio Kings can spend more time at home. An old Yamaha 5000, haven't looked too hard into it but maybe 1980ish. 22x14, 13x9 & 16x16 in gloss white with quite a few decent battle scars on it.

I ran a little sand paper lightly over the edges to make sure they were smooth. I had some white suede emperors and clear ambassadors in 13" & 16" here so put those on the toms, came with a new super kick 2 on the bass, tuned it up and it sounds pretty good.

After having only played the 26/13/16 Radio Kings for the past 18 months it felt like going form a truck to a sports car, everything was so close! These will live in bags along with my lighter set of hardware and the 6.5 Acro to take to rehearsals/gigs (we're nearly back to normal here; no more masks, gigs are back, can have up to 75k people at the MCG for the football....)

Attachments

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I‘ve always had a small practice kit consisting of a 20” bass drum w. single pedal, 13” snare, 14” hats, and 20” ride setup right behind my big main kit. I use it strictly for chop building, independence, chart reading, and I also set it up lefty quite frequently. It helps my playing immensely and helps me carry over new skills to the large kit. But ever since I put my new isolation booth together two weeks ago, I’ve not been able to make it all fit.

My solution was to order a ”pancake” bass drum and to use that instead of my 16”x20” bass drum. I was stuck between the DW Design Series 2.5”x20” Maple Pancake Kick and the Trick VMT Series 4.5”x20” Aluminium Pub Kick. I ended up deciding on the Trick Pub Kick because of the slightly deeper shell and it being made of a stronger material. It showed up earlier today and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase! It sounds way better than I thought it would and it fits into my isolation booth now along with my large kit. :)

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grabbed some new cymbals. 4 on here which were smooth transactions, great deals, and prompt I must say. The 17" fast crash, and 20" full ride were bought on here, 19 from sweetwater, and the hats on Facebook. The 2 splashes are not pictured (8, 10 sigs)
View attachment 493895
Thought the Full Ride looked familiar - happy you're digging it! Looks like a great set up!

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Paiste Twenty Masters 21" Medium Ride. Have been lusting after this for awhile and saw one at a price that said "buy me".

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted a thread about my trip to Dale’s at the beginning of the week, brought home 3 Zildjians, a snare drum and case, some stands, and a few odds and ends. Support your local drum shop!